PDA

View Full Version : workout frequency

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
06-19-2007, 07:53 PM
why do all workouts seems to tell you to perform it only three to four times a week.

Wouldn't you be getting maximum benefit by doing the workouts everyday?

Phil
06-19-2007, 09:57 PM
why do all workouts seems to tell you to perform it only three to four times a week.

No.

Based on your logic, you'd be getting DOUBLE maximum benefit by doing the workouts every day TWICE a day. Doesn't work that way.

Ano
06-20-2007, 12:04 AM

The first thing your body must do after a workout is not build muscle, but recover (compensate for the exhaustive effects of the workout).

After your body has fully recovered, then your body will build muscle (so you will get bigger and stronger).

If you workout everyday, your body don't have enough time to recover from the workout , and will not get a chance to build muscle (in fact, you might lose muscle and get weaker).

origmarm
06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
The reading I have done on this suggests a day on/day off approach as the best but I know some guys who traing 2days and then rest 1. My guess is that the amount of rest is probably proportional to the stress of the initial workout

circusmouse
06-20-2007, 06:02 AM
The body needs rest. It depends partly on what kind of exercise you're doing. If you're doing low-impact stuff like cycling or yoga, you can exercise every day, but even then you'll eventually feel exhausted. Last summer when I was playing tennis four days per week and cycling every day my legs never felt fresh. I can only imagine how touring pros feel. At least they can afford massages.

Nytro
06-21-2007, 01:10 PM
a good thing to do ifyou have time to work out every day is work out the lower body one day, and the upper body the next, giving each part a day to rest