PDA

View Full Version : Problem with consistent tension on drop weight machine

Richie Rich
03-15-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm having trouble with the consistency of the tension of my Gamma drop weight stringing machine. It has floating clamps. For example, I have to set the weight at 72 lbs to get 62 lbs tension. As a comparison my stringer has a high tech Babolat stringer and I set it at 62 lbs. Used an RDC and the tensions were the same. How can my drop weight be 10 lbs off? I prestretch my strings and adjust the clamps tightly for minimal slippage without kinking the string.

Any suggestions for me? I hate stringing other peoples racquets and guessing where I should put the weight so I get the correct tension. If I want 62lbs I should just set the weight at 62lbs, not fiddle around and guess.

Any help is appreciated!!

Gaines Hillix
03-15-2004, 05:24 PM
You need to check your clamps for slippage by marking the string with a non-permanent marker after you've clamped off, but before you release the tension head. Then watch the mark when you release the string gripper/tension head. If the mark moves, you are losing tension. Also, buy or borrow a tension calibration gauge and check your machine. If the arm/weight is really off that far call Gamma and see what they recommend. If nothing else, you can just remark the arm or set it 10 lbs. higher.

SunDog
03-16-2004, 06:37 PM
i would be more suspect that the culprit is the twisting of the floating clamps - not slippage.

the babloat machine has fixed clamps and is not subject to the tension lost when the tension is released following clamping.

i have never used floating clamps - but am guessing that there is a twisting effect with the clamps when the string is removed from the tensioner following clamping.

i could be wrong though.

RacquetDoctor
03-17-2004, 03:08 PM
I own a Sensor, and it produces firmer string beds at any given reference tension to any other machine I've used...The difference is the clamps, and the extremely sturdy mounting system.