PDA

View Full Version : Bruised Ribs

Marc C.
10-02-2004, 04:06 AM
I bruised my ribs playing football tackle football (no pads) 2 weeks ago. At first, its just felt sore like the rest of me, but then everything else healed. Now, one of my ribs is sticking out a bit. It is usually sore only in the morning, but I played tennis last night and now it is REALLY hurting, especially from backhand volleys where i had to really stretch. Any suggestions?

netman
10-04-2004, 05:16 PM
Could be a costrochondral separation. This occurs when the ribs tear away from the cartilage that attaches them to the breastbone. A costochondral separation may occur when you take a hard hit to the ribs, when you land hard on your feet or even when you cough or sneeze violently. They happen frequently in tennis when there is already a weak spot, due to the torque the chest is exposed too during strokes, serves and especially stretch volleys.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for a costrochondral separation other than rest. Usually takes 6-8 weeks to fully heal. Can't really brace them since it is soft tissue that is always flexing as you breathe, move, even sleep.

Your symptoms sound serious given the bone may be displaced, so a doctor's visit makes good sense. If you want to tough it out, try a couple weeks of rest. If that doesn't soothe the symptoms, you need to see a doctor. An x-ray is the only real way to rule out bone damage if you still have pain after a long rest.