PDA

View Full Version : Goran at the U.S Open

ACE of Hearts
06-21-2007, 05:26 PM
Any reason why Goran didnt do so well at the u.s open?I am baffled by this considering his serve and the times he would come to net.Looks like he was just a grass player.

pj80
06-21-2007, 05:59 PM
he did do well one year and could have gone to finals had he taken pete to the fifth set.

MTXR
06-21-2007, 06:10 PM
it seems like he always ran into pete at every tournament.

Mad iX
06-21-2007, 07:29 PM
it seems like he always ran into pete at every tournament.

It was Pete, Agassi, or some nobody with him. Anything could happen with him and it usually did.

vive le beau jeu !
06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
he did do well one year and could have gone to finals had he taken pete to the fifth set.
the tie-break of the 3rd set was really good. goran saved several match points, including an impressive return followed by a powerful passing short, and a very very long rally. :)
i remember there were very good maches in this edition of the US open...

why goran didn't perform well in the US open ?
generally, i think goran didn't play very good in the USA in the beginning of his career... and after all, none of his 22 career titles has been won in that country !

appart from 1996, i have some regrets for some other editions :

1990: 3rd round against cahill. the young goran should have won that match... but he lost his mind and litteraly gave up in the 5th set. :(
1991: 4th round against lendl. i saw that match.... 1 set all after goran wins the 2nd set tie-break... then he leads 4-1 in the 3rd, everything looks good... but then no more goran, he only wins 2 more games in the match ! :shock:
1992: 3rd round against volkov. he was sick (stomach, i think ?) and couldn't really play normally... bye-bye NY in 3 sets !
1995: 1st round against steven. he was playing good at that time, despite losing 4 times (each time in 3 sets !) against enqvist during the summer hardcourt season. he leads 2 sets 0, everything looks fine... even the mind... but this time it's the ankle (i think) that he twists... and he has to give up. bad luck ! :?

slice bh compliment
06-25-2007, 03:58 AM
Wow, good ones, vive.

THe loss to Brett Steven reminds me of his best result at Key Biscayne. Dominating hardcourt tennis -- Goran's groundstrokes and passes were never as solid as that year -- he beat Chang, beat Pete then had a stiff neck and had to retire early in the 1st set against Andre. The interview was priceless. Poor guy was so contrite in his disappointment.

Back to the US Open:
One year (93 or 94?) in the grandstand, Goran (seeded no. 2 that year iirc) played one of the worst matches of his career. He lost to Markus Hipfl...or was it Markus Zoecke? Or Gabriel Markus? Anyway, that was four long sets.

Early nineties:
I recall him losing a close one to Rafa Nadal's manager, Carlos Costa. Lost of one of my favorite players of the early nineties, Alexander Volkov.

In the late nineties, I remember Goran and Rafter absolutely crucifying him at the Open, too. And was it Stepanek or Hrbaty to bagelled him a few times after a good first set once at the Open?

vive le beau jeu !
06-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Wow, good ones, vive.

THe loss to Brett Steven reminds me of his best result at Key Biscayne. Dominating hardcourt tennis -- Goran's groundstrokes and passes were never as solid as that year -- he beat Chang, beat Pete then had a stiff neck and had to retire early in the 1st set against Andre. The interview was priceless. Poor guy was so contrite in his disappointment.
ah yes... i was so disappointed !
and i think the crowd didn't know about his stiff neck during the match -they logically didn't inform them- and they started booing him... poor goran. :(

he had been playing so good so far that year !!!
since the gran slam cup at the end of 1995, he had compiled a 45-4 (i think, including the hopman cup) record coming into the final of key biscayne !
damned neck...

Back to the US Open:
One year (93 or 94?) in the grandstand, Goran (seeded no. 2 that year iirc) played one of the worst matches of his career. He lost to Markus Hipfl...or was it Markus Zoecke? Or Gabriel Markus? Anyway, that was four long sets.

yes, zoecke... he should have won that match too, but i guess he played bad !

Early nineties:
I recall him losing a close one to Rafa Nadal's manager, Carlos Costa. Lost of one of my favorite players of the early nineties, Alexander Volkov.

ah yes against costa, i saw the end of the match (still on TV)... he was trying but he wasn't in a good period at that time...
but the end of that season (1993) was going to be a lot better !
... especially that paris-bercy demonstration !!! :D
(in that time, the indoor carpet season was more exciting)

In the late nineties, I remember Goran and Rafter absolutely crucifying him at the Open, too. And was it Stepanek or Hrbaty to bagelled him a few times after a good first set once at the Open?
yes pat rafter was so impressive in 1998...
and 2000... ohlala... terrible ! :?
he was playing worth and worth, the boat couldn't stop sinking... and according to me, this humiliating loss against hrbaty was one of the 3 times he hit the abyssal bottom (the other 2 being the brighton "racket episode" and his elimination in the qualifications at the AO 2001).

but all this made his resurrection at wimbledon even sweeter !!! ;)

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Any reason why Goran didnt do so well at the u.s open?I am baffled by this considering his serve and the times he would come to net.Looks like he was just a grass player.

Check his records further. NOT just grass, he won a number of indoor tournaments. His serve was very effective there as well.

vive le beau jeu !
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Check his records further. NOT just grass, he won a number of indoor tournaments. His serve was very effective there as well.
he won on ALL surfaces, including 3 tournaments on clay : stuttgart 1990 (his first title), bucarest 1993 and kitzbuhel 1994.
appart from his 3 QF at RG, he also made it to the SF at monte-carlo and to the final at rome and hamburg !
and what about his bronze medal at barcelone, earned after 4 straight 5 sets wins (a record) on clay ?... ;)

vive le beau jeu !
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
he won on ALL surfaces, including 3 tournaments on clay : stuttgart 1990 (his first title), bucarest 1993 and kitzbuhel 1994.
appart from his 3 QF at RG, he also made it to the SF at monte-carlo and to the final at rome and hamburg !
and what about his bronze medal at barcelone, earned after 4 straight 5 sets wins (a record) on clay ?... ;)

just for saying he could play everywhere... but this is right, he should have performed better at the US open !