PDA

View Full Version : Best Hybrid Choice?

Benjamin
10-03-2004, 05:33 AM
What hybrid combination would offer the best combination of playability and durability?

It would seem the obvious answer would be polyester in the mains (durability) and natural gut in the crosses (playability)....but I'm sure that there may be other options out there.

I currenly use Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L in my POG mid and typically get over 45 sets with it before it breaks....so I love the durability of this string. But after playing with a couple of demos that had Prince Synthetic Gut and Wilson Sensation (?), I realize there is a huge difference in feel between my poly and the synthetics (I guess I didn't realize it so much until I compared my racquet side by side the demos).

Also, can the POG mid, Prince Diablo Mid, and Wilson nCode nSix-One all be strung 2 piece?

Thanks for the help.

Benjamin

HeavyBall
10-03-2004, 06:23 AM
With the relatively low cost of a Bow Brand mains/$4.00 synthetic crosses hybrid, I would have to think it would be the best combination of durability/playability/cost. I think that a poly main/nat gut cross combo is a bad idea for anyone except those that get free string (Federer). It's going to cost more to use Lux, and having the gut in the crosses is pretty much a waste. IMHO, anyone putting gut in the crosses only is wasting their money.

One other thing I discovered: I you don't string the two mains on each end of the POG, you can get three sets of mains for the POG from 1 set of gut. Now you can do a gut/syn hybrid for $8.00 or less.

MChong
10-03-2004, 02:05 PM
On a quest for string, too, eh? Well, I have tried natural gut hybrids and luxilon ALU hybrids in my TT Hornet MPs not too long ago. All I have to say is the Luxilon broke after around 3 weeks and the Natural Gut hybrid broke around 2.5 weeks. So, basically, natural gut is a better deal, and it's excellent for playability. I'd recommend what the other user recommended, Bow natural gut mains with Prince Synthetic gut crosses (or any other synthetic gut crosses). If you want, you can even try a poly in the crosses to diminish the power level a bit because some people claim that the gut launches the ball.

Basically
Natural Gut Mains with Synthetic Gut Crosses or Polyester Crosses
A Nice Polyester with Synthetic Gut or Multifilament Crosses.

Benjamin
10-03-2004, 03:47 PM
How would a string job of all Prince Synthetic Gut 16g compare to the playability and durability of a poly/natural gut hybrid?

Just broke the Luxilon in one of my POG mids and the Luxilon is getting ready to go in my other so I'm anxious to try something new.

Benjamin

HeavyBall
10-03-2004, 04:20 PM
No one can describe the way a string plays in a way that you can fully appreciate the experience.

I'm not sure you really want to know how gut plays. If you did badly enough, you'd just order a set and find out.

And while you're at it, if you haven't already, order synthetic replacement grips to put on those POGs. You've always maintained that a lighter POG would be you're perfect racket. Why not make it a reality?

MChong
10-03-2004, 05:02 PM
Well, I'm pretty sure that the synthetic gut 16g would be slightly more playable but less durable than the poly hybrid; the natural gut, on the other hand, dominates in playability as well as durability.

artworks
10-07-2004, 12:36 AM
Mains : Big Banger 16L Alu Power
Crosses : Prince Duraflex Synthetic Gut 17

Ideal Hybrid combination for durability and playability. Excellent for heavy topspin player like me, 4.0 baseline and occasinal net rusher.

Originally, I had it all done with 16L AP, but my elbow felt a bit of pain after 3 sets. So the next time I toned it up by replacing the crosses with Prince Duraflex Synthetic Gut 17.

It's a hybrid combination worth trying.

Next I'll try, bow brand @ crosses with babolat pro hurricane mains.