PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder problem

syko735
06-22-2007, 05:25 PM
Lately i've developed a problem in my right shoulder. I can't swing it in a full rotation quickly, and when I do swing my arm around in a circle, there's a popping sound. It also hurts a bit to raise my arm from my side to perpindicular to my body and above. Don't know what's wrong, and I've tried taking a week rest, but nothing. Anyone else experience this?

AlpineCadet
06-23-2007, 12:44 AM
You probably have a rotator cuff injury. You should do rotator cuff exercises (you can look them up either on the TW forum or just google it.) Most importantly, ATM you should refrain from playing tennis so you can let your shoulder/tendons rest/heal. In the long run, it's best if take care of your shoulder problem (through rehabilitation) instead of making it worse by ignoring the pain and just playing through it. Trust me on this. :)

BTW, here's a link to help get you started!
http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp

netman
06-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Go see a doctor who knows shoulders. Could be one of many things. The shoulder is a complex suspension joint with really tight tolerances. Could be something as simple as sprain. Could be impingement (which your symptoms would tend to indicate). Could be something worse like the rotator cuff, but you really have to work hard to really injure that one. A doc who knows shoulders will nail it in no time.

Try some ice, 15 min on, then off until it returns to body temp. Then repeat. And as AlpineCadet said, give it some rest. When you can do everything full speed with it with no pain, you are good to go again.

-k-

OrangeOne
06-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Trust me on this. :)

Why should he? Are you a physician?

I've personally never met a physiotherapist who's happy to diagnose over the phone, let alone based on a short post on the 'net. The shoulder is one of the most (if not the most) complex joint in the body, and you're net-diagnosing?

Go see a doctor who knows shoulders.

I mostly agree. Go to your doctor, and get a recommendation to either a sports-physiotherapist or a sports-doctor, both of whom will understand the problem, and know that your goal is to get back and active as fast as possible. Your dominant shoulder is way too important to risk based on the advice of random people (who are, let's face it, mostly kids) on some tennis-chat website.

AlpineCadet
06-24-2007, 01:05 PM
In the long run,

it's best if take care of your shoulder problem

(through rehabilitation)

instead of making it worse

by ignoring the pain and just playing through it. Trust me on this. :)

I'm telling someone to take care of his injuries instead of ignoring them, and I am wrong here?

OrangeOne
06-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm telling someone to take care of his injuries instead of ignoring them, and I am wrong here?

I didn't disagree with that part of your post, as we have now discussed.

You should do rotator cuff exercises (you can look them up either on the TW forum or just google it.)
[snip]
BTW, here's a link to help get you started!
http://www.bodyresults.com/E2RotatorCuff.asp

^^^ They were the parts of your post that I felt were not appropriate advice, especially over the internet, especially from someone who is not identifying as trained a physician.

AlpineCadet
06-24-2007, 01:44 PM
Would it have been worse if I said, "You NEED to do rotator cuff exercises?" :p Also, I made sure I wrote, "..to help get you started" when I included that link because I wasn't sure what his actual shoulder problem was. Again, it's funny that I have to defend my simple words against someone who's touchy about this subject.

OrangeOne
06-24-2007, 01:52 PM
Say what you need to say, AlpineCadet, I'll not be wasting any more time on this thread unless I feel it very necessary. I've made my point clear, from my very first reply in this thread.

AlpineCadet
06-24-2007, 01:54 PM
OrangeOne, I am not insulting you, I am trying to make a joke, while pointing a few things out to you. Bye-bye.