PDA

View Full Version : Goran Hall of Famer?

Buckeye10s
06-23-2007, 08:46 PM
Does Goran belong in the Tennis Hall of Fame? My initial thought is no... but they did let Sabatini in...

ACE of Hearts
06-23-2007, 08:50 PM
If they let Noah in, then Goran gets in.To me the hall of fame is based on slams.1 slam is not enough.

Buckeye10s
06-23-2007, 08:56 PM
If they let Noah in, then Goran gets in.To me the hall of fame is based on slams.1 slam is not enough.

That is a good point w/ Noah. Both were bigger personalities than they were grand slam champions. Goran did get to #2 in the world... Maybe Noah can get in for having a decent basketball player for a son! I HATE THE GATORS!!!!

saram
06-23-2007, 09:00 PM
What about Marcelo Rios? The greatest player to never attain a Grand Slam? Surely he did something for the game (although not always positive). Noah and Goran are household names within the tennis community. I would really have to think about the posed question--but I wonder if impact upon the game is enough without a slam title?

Just random thoughts....(and I hate the Gotor nation as well...)

pj80
06-23-2007, 09:17 PM
22 titles on all surfaces, 1 slam, 3 finals . id say yes.

slice bh compliment
06-23-2007, 09:22 PM

Actually it is not the International Hall of Slams. It is the International Hall of Fame.

I think Goran'll be a shoo-in, just like Noah was. And Cash probably. Done a lot for the game, great guys, overall mensches. Well, Cash is a little cheesy, but that's okay.

Stich: Wimbledon Champion, plus a couple other finals. Maybe? Medalled in dubs in the Olympics in Spain.
Bruguera? Two Slams. Probable?
Rafter: Two Slams. Obvious.
Korda? The doping allegations, poor guy.
JC Ferrero? Possible.
Costa? Slim chance, but possible one day.
Guga. Shoo-in with 3 RGs. Nadal, even moreso.
RF, Pete, Agassi: it would be hard not to dedicate a wing. A shrine with candles, at the very least.

Buckeye10s
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
RF, Pete, Agassi: it would be hard not to dedicate a wing. A shrine with candles, at the very least.

Ah yes... The Hall of Heros!

CyBorg
06-23-2007, 10:25 PM
Goran's an easy one. Has a major, numerous runner-ups and consistent top-10 success over a span of over 5 years.

travlerajm
06-23-2007, 11:14 PM
He had 1400+ aces in '96. He's a freak!

vive le beau jeu !
06-24-2007, 04:20 AM
hell, YES !!! :D

22 titles on all surfaces, 1 slam, 3 finals . id say yes.

bluetrain4
06-24-2007, 11:40 AM

But, it is enough. Sabatini and Novatna were just inducted in the past few years.

Michael Chang will most likley make it.

The interesting question is whether Clijsters make it with th early retirement.

I would venture to say that many 1-slam winners will make it if:

1. They were consistently ranked in the top 10 or top 5.
2. Have won a significant number of other tournaments, including Masters Series or WTA Tier 1, and have more than a few symbolic wins over other top players.
3. Have other good Slam results (such as Clijsters many other Slam finals, SFs)
4. Are fan favorites or have "personality" (Goran), and/or
5. Have a "story" (Novatna overcoming her nerves)

Someone like Conhita Martinez will be on the fence.

Someone like Iva Majoli won't make it.

Of course, there is a strong argument for not including 1-slam winners, but whatever committee selects the inductees have obviously already settled that argument.

We, as hardcore tennis fans, know who the "best of the best" are, and I agree with the Hall of Fame's inclusion of some of the players who give the game depth and character.

Jonas
06-24-2007, 12:00 PM
That is a good point w/ Noah. Both were bigger personalities than they were grand slam champions. Goran did get to #2 in the world... Maybe Noah can get in for having a decent basketball player for a son! I HATE THE GATORS!!!!

I think that based on the criteria to get into the HOF that Goran should get in.
Buckeye10s.....do you attend the University of Florida at Columbous? :)
Rough year for buckeye fans.....

Buckeye10s
06-24-2007, 12:41 PM
I think that based on the criteria to get into the HOF that Goran should get in.
Buckeye10s.....do you attend the University of Florida at Columbous? :)
Rough year for buckeye fans.....

It was a great year in that we made the finals of the 2 major NCAA sports... but it was a tough pill to swallow losing to Florida in both. I didn't think we could win the basketball champs, but I didn't think we could lose the football champs.

I'm glad that this question has brought up so much conversation. There have been a lot of good points raised! :grin:

Jonas
06-24-2007, 12:56 PM
It was a great year in that we made the finals of the 2 major NCAA sports... but it was a tough pill to swallow losing to Florida in both. I didn't think we could win the basketball champs, but I didn't think we could lose the football champs.

I'm glad that this question has brought up so much conversation. There have been a lot of good points raised! :grin:

As a UF fan/alum..I really felt bad for Troy Smith during that BCS game. He seems like a real nice guy and was a great ncaa QB, but he just never stood a chance. I bet the OSU lineman are still having nightmares about seeing Harvey/Moss/ etc. coming towards them.

Most "experts" had this OSU team as going down as one of the greatest OSU teams of all time. Of course I thought UF was going to win the game, but I would be lying if I thought it would be a blowout.

The onlly reason that I thought the Gators were going to win is because they were battle tested after playing the toughest schedule I have EVER seen.
OSU really didn't play anybody all year and it showed big time in january.

I did however think that there was no way in the hell the hoops team would lose. I think as time goes by people will realize what a special group that UF basketball team really was.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread. Back on topic....I don't think 1 slam should get you in. I really don't think 2 should either.
Just think, Thomas Johansson will be enshrined one day.
There is something fundamentally wrong with that altogether.

Buckeye10s
06-24-2007, 01:06 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old... But outside of Fed and Nadal the current crop just doesn't seem to be as strong as the late 80's and 90's. Look at the players that came from that era... Becker, Edberg, Goran... and a couple of guys named Agassi and Sampras. Honestly I was a bit surprised that Rafter got in, and shocked that Sabatini and Novotna were inducted.

bluetrain4
06-24-2007, 01:49 PM
I think Sabatini and Novatna getting inducted, besides being the result fo the criteria I mentioned earlier, was also the result of playing during Graf 's reign of dominance.

Since Graf and Seles (until the stabbing) were winning virtually everything and every Slam, basically no other players from that generation would make it into the HOF if winning more than 1 slam was required.

Jonas
06-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Maybe I'm just getting old... But outside of Fed and Nadal the current crop just doesn't seem to be as strong as the late 80's and 90's. Look at the players that came from that era... Becker, Edberg, Goran... and a couple of guys named Agassi and Sampras. Honestly I was a bit surprised that Rafter got in, and shocked that Sabatini and Novotna were inducted.

I agree. I really like Rafter, but he is not a Hall of Famer, Noah either.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
06-24-2007, 03:21 PM
Goran's an easy one. Has a major, numerous runner-ups and consistent top-10 success over a span of over 5 years.

My first thought was yes, I believe he should be in for a few reasons, and this was one of them. Though he only won the Wimbledon slam, he was runner-up a number of times, plus he contributions throughout his career.

For other things, whether we agree with it or not, Rafter is in there. Noah was a personality to be reconned with, and still is, and quite the music star as well, but I think they were just seeking on that case as well.

ElSuegro
06-25-2007, 12:51 PM
He also had that palm tree hairdo one time. That by itself should get him elected.

sureshs
06-25-2007, 01:33 PM
There are several Hall of Famers right here on TW.

ElSuegro
06-25-2007, 01:45 PM
And what did you say for your induction speech suresh?

drakulie
06-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, which Goran are we talking about?? The "good" Goran or "bad" Goran?? LOL

On a serious note>> Hell no he is not a Hall of Famer, but that doesn't seem to stop the Tennis Hall of Fame from inducting anyone.

It takes away from the achievements of the all time greats when the Hall does this, and also takes away their credibility. They are a joke.

sureshs
06-25-2007, 01:56 PM
And what did you say for your induction speech suresh?

Nothing. Too many legends and GOATs for me to say anything.

Wuornos
08-08-2007, 05:20 AM
Does Goran belong in the Tennis Hall of Fame? My initial thought is no... but they did let Sabatini in...

I would say just. Not sure about the Sabatini point, for me she should definitely be in. After all she may have only won one slam but she made 18 slam semi finals!

origmarm
08-08-2007, 05:31 AM
There are several Hall of Famers right here on TW.

?? (10 chars)

laurie
08-08-2007, 08:23 AM
I was thinking the other day that every year two guys come over here to help cover BBC Wimbledon on TV and radio. They usually are outspoken and make comments in print and on radio which seem to upset players - particularly women players. They are given a status here because they won Wimbledon, they are always called former Wimbledon champions. These two guys (some women players may say clowns) are Pat cash and Michael Stich.

Neither have been considered for Hall of Fame despite both been retired for some 10 years.

Personally Goran found his holy grail with Wimbledon in 2001 but I don't think he's a hall of famer. Do you think Cash or Stich are Hall of Fame material? What about Andres Gomez, Thomas Muster, Michael Chang, Richard Krajicek, Albert Costa?

In fact, I never hear the names Sergei Brugera or Kafelnikov mentioned for Hall of Fame.

Andres
08-08-2007, 08:40 AM
22 titles on all surfaces, 1 slam title in 4 slam finals, Top 10 for several years, QF or better in every slam, and a huge tennis personality.

Look at my freaking avatar!! of course! HELL YEAH! :D

kashmonyklik
08-09-2007, 01:30 AM
Goran is a Hall of Famer for sure. He has 22 titles incluing 1 Grand Slam couple of finals etc. More than anything he has contributed enormously to the world of tennis through his game, style, charity etc. he deserves it!!

joebicko
08-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Hell Yes!!!
Becker never won on clay!!!
Sampras never won on clay!!!
Goran won on every surface...22 tournaments.
Beat Edberg, Becker, Sampras, many, many times.
Three times Wimby finalist...1992 famous foot fault on sec. service- he deserved to win...wonder what would his carier be if he did win.
1998 should have beaten Samprass as well..
10 years top 10 player in the world
Come on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

drpepper4590
08-17-2007, 08:48 PM
I agree. I really like Rafter, but he is not a Hall of Famer, Noah either.

Noah isn't i agree but Rafter
If you watch some of the matches he had with sampras, those were some of the best matches ever, even though it wasn't as high profile that rivalry was interesting as well because of the dominance of both of them on serve. Like when sampras hit a serve through rafters racquet, that was incredible. But Rafter definately belongs for winning 2 in such a tough generation

gj011
08-24-2007, 02:17 PM
No, he does not belong to the HOF.

suwanee4712
08-25-2007, 05:47 AM
It's not up to me. But I probably would not vote for any player to be inducted into the HOF without a minimum of 3 grand slams. Unless they either are a doubles all-time great, or they make a major contribution to the game in some meaningful way.

Here's how I would vote on some of the "iffies":

Noah - voted in on one 2 week period in a 14 year career (No)
Goran - only 2 grand slam semis outside of Wimbledon (No)
Jana - singles record not worthy, but a doubles great (Yes)
Gaby - 1-20 record vs. Martina, Chris, Steffi, & Monica at the slams (No)
Conchita - hard to believe she is a Wimbledon champ (No)

Is there anyone that thinks that Noah had a better career than Vitas Gerulaitis? Vitas' Australian win isn't as good as Noah's French win. But Noah has nothing else to back his record up. Vitas had a much better US Open and Wimbledon record than Noah did by far. And he was himself a French finalist losing to the greatest clay court player of all time, Bjorn Borg. If Noah is in, then so should a lot of other players.

I would vote for Goran if he had 2 Wimbledon titles with one of them being against Sampras or Agassi. But what really hurts him is that he only made 2 grand slam semis outside of Wimbledon.

Gaby and Conchita are good examples of the kind of player that can win a lot of regular tour tournaments, but they don't shine when it really counts. Both have a lot of grand slam QF's and SF's to their credit. But that only speaks to their consistency, not their greatness. Players of their calibur SHOULD have a lot of quality slam finishes. But if they belong in the HOF, they should also have a few more wins vs. the greatest players of their day.

Gaby's record vs. all time greats at slams is shockingly unremarkable. She can only claim one win out of 21 chances. That's not HOF material if you only have one grand slam title. I think it's great that she could beat Steffi and Martina at Amelia Island. But Amelia Island is not the French Open.

Of course, the HOF likes to vote in at least one person every year. So perhaps my standard of 3 slams is a bit high for what they are trying to do.

suwanee4712
08-25-2007, 05:53 AM
I was thinking the other day that every year two guys come over here to help cover BBC Wimbledon on TV and radio. They usually are outspoken and make comments in print and on radio which seem to upset players - particularly women players. They are given a status here because they won Wimbledon, they are always called former Wimbledon champions. These two guys (some women players may say clowns) are Pat cash and Michael Stich.

Neither have been considered for Hall of Fame despite both been retired for some 10 years.

Personally Goran found his holy grail with Wimbledon in 2001 but I don't think he's a hall of famer. Do you think Cash or Stich are Hall of Fame material? What about Andres Gomez, Thomas Muster, Michael Chang, Richard Krajicek, Albert Costa?

In fact, I never hear the names Sergei Brugera or Kafelnikov mentioned for Hall of Fame.

Excellent post. I would vote Stich and Chang in before I voted for Goran.

grafrules
08-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Gaby and Conchita are good examples of the kind of player that can win a lot of regular tour tournaments, but they don't shine when it really counts. Both have a lot of grand slam QF's and SF's to their credit. But that only speaks to their consistency, not their greatness. Players of their calibur SHOULD have a lot of quality slam finishes. But if they belong in the HOF, they should also have a few more wins vs. the greatest players of their day.

Gaby's record vs. all time greats at slams is shockingly unremarkable. She can only claim one win out of 21 chances. That's not HOF material if you only have one grand slam title. I think it's great that she could beat Steffi and Martina at Amelia Island. But Amelia Island is not the French Open.

Of course, the HOF likes to vote in at least one person every year. So perhaps my standard of 3 slams is a bit high for what they are trying to do.

Conchita and Gaby were both especialy dissapointing at the French Open. They were often dominant on clay going into the French Open, but then lost in the semis of the French to one of the big guns. Gaby could beat Seles in straight sets in the Italian Open of 91 and 92 but not when they met at the French Open semis. Conchita could go in on a 25 match win streak on clay in 1995, but could not beat Graf in the semis with alot of chances that day. Conchita could win the Italian Open 4 straight times but still keep losing in the French Open semis those same years.