PDA

View Full Version : Is NG too lively for you too?

Golden Retriever
10-03-2004, 01:29 PM
I recently switched to NG/poly hybrid and at first I loved the soft feel of natural guts but after a few sets I've found NG to be too lively for my liking. I'd lose control when I try to swing out. I have already strung it at high tension (57#) so I guess the tension is not the problem. Maybe it is the tour 8 and its open pattern. Should I switch to something else or should I give NG more time?

HeavyBall
10-03-2004, 02:29 PM
What poly did you use? Did you put the gut in the mains or crosses? IMO, gut jobs should be strung below 60 lbs. in only the lowest powered rackets. When using gut, 57 is not that high. If you don't want to string higher, give it some more time. It can be a pretty big change to get used to.

borisboris
10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
My 1st NG hybrid I strung the Mains @ 57 and it was way too powerful. I just strung another w/ 16 ga in the mains and Syn gut in the X's. I put it up to 63 and it's perfect. There is still enough power but the control was what you'd expect from the best string on earth. You have to raise the lbs of the mains and the x's. Power = lower but you won't control it. Control but power = 60-63. Good luck.

mark rodgers
10-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Gut in the mains is too powerful for me too. I either string Poly mains or string 100% poly. I like what borisboris had to say.

bcaz
10-03-2004, 11:41 PM
When I first used natural gut I strung it at 61-62 lbs. to tame its power. Recently, I've dropped the tension to 59-60 lbs. to get a little more pop and comfort, and I have been putting more spin in my strokes. I do use a low-powered racquet -- the Estusa PBB; in many other frames I would string at slightly higher tensions.

tarheelbornjohn
10-04-2004, 05:55 AM
I have never been able to play my best with an all NG setup. I try one each year and cut it out after a match or two. I have tried NG mains and poly crosses which were fine if my game was REALLY on. Poly mains and NG crosses works fine and gives a little more pop, but most of the time I do not need to worry about getting more pace on my shot. I tend to be a very aggressive player and go for angles as much as I can so control is the most important thing for me. (All ALU).

Golden Retriever
10-04-2004, 07:26 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about. Thank you.

NoBadMojo
10-04-2004, 07:35 PM
people that hit the ball flattish may have a prob in controlling the ball when using gut. if you have the ability to spin the ball to varying degrees for control, many people dig gut like a day off. power w. spin for a control is a pretty good combo IMO and gut in dense stringbeds is pretty special i think.