PDA

View Full Version : The gremlins finally got me!

Virginia
06-23-2007, 10:05 PM
OK, on the 31st March I broke my left (fortunately) arm (distal radius), carried on playing tennis with it for a week (even went to coaching the same day I broke it!), thinking it was "just a sprain" and finally went to the doctor a week later. 6 weeks in plaster and now they tell me it won't be fully better for at least a year (radius is now shorter than ulna).

It never stopped me playing tennis.

On 30th April, I caught a speeding tennis ball and bust the tendon at the end of my ring finger (mallet finger). Six weeks with a stupid splint that has now resulted in swelling and almost a skin break over the joint. They tell me it won't be fully better for at least a year.

It never stopped me playing tennis.

Last Monday, I jumped for a volley akwardly and sprained the 4th toe on my right foot. I can barely walk.

So finally, the gremlins have got me and I can't play tennis!

At least I can cheer myself up by watching Wimbledon for the next two weeks and hopefully the stupid toe will be better by the end. :sad:

Phil
06-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I knew Kiwis were pretty tough, but damn! I probably would have been moaning and whinning after the FIRST break. Get better!

stevekim8
06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
dang
that SUCKS
you must be really devoted to tennis
i envy you
anyway, i hope you get better!

J to tha C
06-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I say get better but make sure you rest up. Playing with brakes ect is not ideal because it weakens the bones and makes the areas more succeptable to future breaks.
But neway hope your foot gets better :)

goober
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
suck it up and play wheelchair tennis.

;)

Virginia
06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks guys, I think I should be OK by next week.

Meanwhile I'm enjoying the Wimbledon coverage. Here in New Zealand we can watch it overnight (which I don't do as I needs me beauty sleep (!) ), or next day chose amongst a straight repeat of the previous night's (day's) play, and/or one hour's highlights (pretty useless) and/or "Match of the Day".

Let's hope there's no more rain!

Virginia
07-19-2007, 03:25 PM
OK, my toe got better and I reckoned I could start playing tennis again this Friday.

I'm still going to physio for my wrist and mallet finger - and actually the toe as well, because I got it xrayed to check for a fracture.

Anyway, I'm still getting the odd twinge for no good reason, so I asked the physio to check it on Wednesday. She was pressing it backwards and forwards to the point where it really hurt and just said to keep up with the exercises.

It was pretty sore after that and today it's really painful and swollen, to the point where I need to apply ice. And obviously tennis is out of the question.

She's such a nice person and I don't want to complain, but S H I T this is really too much! What on earth could she have done to it?

I'm not really sure what to do now and am worried that she may have done it some permanent harm.

What do you reckon I should do?