PDA

View Full Version : pushups, are they worth it?

J.W. North Tennis91
06-24-2007, 01:05 AM
pushups seem to be the only workout that i have LOTS of trouble in. it takes me too much time and i have to admit, its really hard. my question is, are they worth having it on my daily workout plan or should i spend that time running more on an extreme high incline on a treadmill?? which will help for tennis more?

diggler
06-24-2007, 02:46 AM
I'm not an expert, but you would think push ups are good. They take no time at all to do. If you find them hard, cheat. Do the push ups with your knees on the ground. A lot easier to do. Do them in sets. Do some until you're tired, so a different exercise eg situps and do more push ups. 3 sets should be enough.

Ronaldo
06-24-2007, 05:25 AM
pushups seem to be the only workout that i have LOTS of trouble in. it takes me too much time and i have to admit, its really hard. my question is, are they worth having it on my daily workout plan or should i spend that time running more on an extreme high incline on a treadmill?? which will help for tennis more?

Push-up on a wall or a table so your legs are lower than your shoulders. Or if push-ups bother your hands and wrists, use those push-up stands or a pr. of dumbbells. Or push-up on a physioball.

ollinger
06-24-2007, 10:47 AM
I don't see how pushups would be of much value with one's tennis game. Also, the motion is similar to the dumbbell "fly" exercise which some othopedists believe might increase the risk of rotator cuff problems (one of the last things you need for your tennis game).

stevekim8
06-24-2007, 10:58 AM
of course pushups help.
if you can't do it
start out with your knees on the ground

Mikael
06-24-2007, 11:46 AM
Push-ups are actually good for your rotator cuffs because they allow the scapulae to move freely, whereas an exercise like the bench press blocks the scapulae. People should do push-ups, as a matter of fact some experts believe you shouldn't be bench pressing until you can do 20 perfect push-ups or more. Besides, they really force you to stabilize your spine, with your abs and lower back doing a lot of the work... Very useful exercise.

103xStateChamp
06-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Both cant hurt....Do 50 pushups in the morning and 50 in the evening and 50 b4 u go to bed.

Ronaldo
06-24-2007, 12:36 PM
Push-ups are actually good for your rotator cuffs because they allow the scapulae to move freely, whereas an exercise like the bench press blocks the scapulae. People should do push-ups, as a matter of fact some experts believe you shouldn't be bench pressing until you can do 20 perfect push-ups or more. Besides, they really force you to stabilize your spine, with your abs and lower back doing a lot of the work... Very useful exercise.

Ever use small physioballs for push-ups? Watched kids push-up on balls while their feet were on a larger ball. Then push-ups using one ball.

dcottrill
06-24-2007, 01:08 PM
Ever use small physioballs for push-ups? Watched kids push-up on balls while their feet were on a larger ball. Then push-ups using one ball.

Wow! One would have to have a VERY strong core in order to do that. Thanks for the new fitness goal.

J to tha C
06-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Push ups are brilliant for upper body and core, and yeah there are worth doing for tennis simply because it does triceps, lattisimus dorsi, trapeziums and some pectorals and biceps. The first 3 are the muscles you want to concentrate on.

I like to think of it as throwing a punch. If you throw a hook its pretty much the same action as hitting a tennis ball.

crazy8tiger
06-24-2007, 02:38 PM
I would say they are worth it. It will help on your strokes and serving. They are pretty tough for me to do too, I would do intervals of 5-10 push-ups and just take a small rest in between.

Ano
06-24-2007, 04:35 PM

I was going to say that.

Mike Boyle (the author of Functional Training For Sport) have said the same thing.

Ronaldo
06-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Wow! One would have to have a VERY strong core in order to do that. Thanks for the new fitness goal.

Yes I guess but these were middle and high school boys and girls. Stallone in Rocky Balboa does this push-up routine and he's 60.

Kobble
06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I don't like pushups because it feels like a towel bench(Put a rolled up towel on your chest to make the ROM shorter. More of a partial rep.) Rather, I do dips with my elbows above my head at the bottom. If I had rings that could extend the range of motion of the pushup I would do them more, but I try to conserve my time so I do pushups maybe once a week.

ubel
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't like pushups because it feels like a towel bench(Put a rolled up towel on your chest to make the ROM shorter. More of a partial rep.) Rather, I do dips with my elbows above my head at the bottom. If I had rings that could extend the range of motion of the pushup I would do them more, but I try to conserve my time so I do pushups maybe once a week.
That can't possible be good for your shoulders.. Do you experience any pain/discomfort?

chroix
06-25-2007, 11:09 AM
I've done incline pushups with my feet about .5 meters higher than my head for years now. It has strengthened my extremely damaged rotator cuff. Stick with them. Being unable to complete pushups makes me think that your tennis game must be pretty soft. You don't need to be a hulk to play tennis, but it does take strength in your legs, core and arms.

jasoncho92
06-25-2007, 11:13 AM
I used to have the goal of doing the bruce lee push ups with one handed two fingered but i stopped after one handed finger push ups because i was getting bored lol. But i dont really see what push ups would do for tennis because playing a lot of tennis usually makes all the muscles that are needed strong enough

ubel
06-25-2007, 01:10 PM
I used to have the goal of doing the bruce lee push ups with one handed two fingered but i stopped after one handed finger push ups because i was getting bored lol. But i dont really see what push ups would do for tennis because playing a lot of tennis usually makes all the muscles that are needed strong enough

As was said was said earlier, it strengthens your back and abs, which are your core. Having a stable core is vital in producing consistent strokes and having a reliable serve :)

Ano
06-25-2007, 04:21 PM
As was said was said earlier, it strengthens your back and abs, which are your core. Having a stable core is vital in producing consistent strokes and having a reliable serve :)

Yes, it's true.

Your "core" is like a tree-trunk or a twig in a hurricane.

Imagine a tree in a hurricane. There are winds (shearing and compressive forces) through it in every different direction.

The tree has its roots (your lower body) and a bunch of branches (your upper body) to support, and the only thing connecting those two things is the tree trunk (your core).

Would you prefer to have a thick tree trunk, or a twig supporting the branches above? Wouldn't a thick tree trunk provide a better base of support?

Kobble
06-25-2007, 05:00 PM
ubel: vbmenu_register("postmenu_1540872", true);
That can't possible be good for your shoulders.. Do you experience any pain/discomfort? No, just extra resistance out of the bottom of it. I started doing them that way to work the chest and shoulders more. When I go to parallel it just feels too easy to power out of it with the triceps. Plus, I think I have maintained greater shoulder flexibility doing that.