PDA

View Full Version : poly strings

joe sch
10-03-2004, 03:20 PM
Im curious how players arms, elbows & shoulders, using poly strings are holding up ? How long have you been playing poly strings and have these strings started causing you any arm problems ? I know these strings are great for control and ripping the felts but I personally cant use them, even when blended with natural gut and strung at low tension. Probably also depends on age since I was able to use kevlar blends for many years before doing damage and now needing to play soft strings. Im wondering how long some of the pro players will last, like Arod, who has already had a history of arm problems and I suspect his career will surely be shorted by playing poly strings.

Masamusou
10-03-2004, 03:37 PM
I only use poly strings part time, usually a month or two with syn./poly hybrids and then a month or two with straight synthetic. I string the synthetic in the mains and the poly in the crosses with the poly a few pounds lower, and the overall job a few pounds lower than synthetic. Like I use alpha gut 2000 straight around 58 pounds for awhile. Then I will switch to something like prince w/ duraflex 18 in the mains at 55 and kirschbaum competition in the crosses at 52-53. My arm has been holding up fine, but it does get a break after a month or two as I said. I think a major thing with poly is that because it doesn't break, too many people are using it too long after it has lost resiliency, and even a solid core synthetic can hurt your arm if you use it too long, though probably to less extent. I usually have to cut out my synthetic/poly hybrids, but it's better than dealing with the inflammation. I'm only 18 (for 2 more months) and I also use C10 Pros so that probably helps a little. I could probably use synthetic/poly hybrids just fine all the time, but I usually use something else occasionally to give my arm a little break. Occasionally I feel like playing a different kind of game and so I can adjust to different strings for that. I think eventually I will switch to a denser pattern and just use straight synthetics, but for now the poly isn't bothering me.

Original 6.0
10-03-2004, 03:40 PM
It's not the poly, it's the technique that's wrong with A-Rod........

tarheelbornjohn
10-04-2004, 04:50 AM
I have been using all Lux ALU for 2.5 years now and have never had any problems with it (I do play with a hybrid of ALU and gut sometimes). I actually had shoulder surgery the year before I started using ALU. I play in at least one NTRP tourny each month and USTA once per week, a set partner league once a week and at least one match at the club each week. On NTRP match weeks I may play over 10 matches in a week with three or four in a day on the saturday of that week with two on sunday. I had tennis elbow for a while before I used ALU but stretching and weights have fixed that problem.

I truely do not believe that the strings cause problems in the arms, although they may make them worse if they are there. I see these guys out there playing once or twice a week trying to knock the cover off the ball for a few games and then their games just fade. While tennis can help keep you in shape, you should work out to play tennis and not play tennis as your only workout.

Gaines Hillix
10-04-2004, 06:11 AM
Joe, I've been using Lux Alu Power and Bab Hurricane for over a year now with no ill effects. I'm no spring chicken either! I play twice a week, if not more; mostly doubles, but some singles. My usual racquet is a PK Laver S with ALU at 58 lbs. Recently I've been using a tail weighted HH 6.3 OS with Pro Hurricane in it.

NoBadMojo
10-04-2004, 06:47 AM
it totally depends on the player and how they hit the ball IMO....but why would you wish to even take that chance just to use a stiff uncomfortable string with a smaller sweetspot that the pros are using...i say use what the pros use if you can play like the pros..it's only my opinion. the effects of stiffness (racquets and strings) are cumulative. as a sidenote, roddick is having tennis elbow just now and i am sure the stiff light racquet and stiff strings have contributed and he's only 22 or so...i'm in my 50's, started w. wood, played tons of tourney ball, am a teaching pro, and i've never had a arm, wrist, shoulder, or elbow problem. now if i could only do something about these achilles :) i've always used flexy frames with some mass and gut for many years or a soft multi..good mechanics is most key tho, but stiff stuff doesnt help ya especially if you dont nail the swetspot almost al the time. i consider myself a good ball striker and when i tried a poly just so i know or a pure drive + type frame, i immediately start to feel twinges in these older tendons. ed

joe sch
10-04-2004, 07:18 AM
Im very happy using a 85si head with natural gut strings. Unfortunately, for humid conditions, I need to play a string that will not noodle. For these spare rackets, I have experimented with lots of diff syn strings. I really like the control of polys especially blended with natural. After playing kevlar blends for years, I had to stop because of the side effects and it looks like polys may be in the same category for me. Im glad to hear that many players have not noticed any problems YET with polys after year(s) of play ... I probably lasted 3..5 years on kevlar. Best wishes, Joe

tarheelbornjohn
10-04-2004, 07:39 AM
Well, I string my own racquets and have tried all kinds of strings. I used Gamma XP pro for a year, many of the Wilson and head strings and several different poly's. I love ALU. I do use a fairly flex stick and like the ALU even more in my Prestige than I did with my HPS 6.1 I started ALU with. Hitting the sweet spot is not my problem, it is making sure when I drive a ball deep that I am on the line or within a few inches.

On a side note about achilles NBM. I have the same problem. While it does not hurt me playing tennis, the next AM I have trouble getting out of bed and walking down the stairs. There is a new tech that has been approved by the FDA using high energy sound waves. While I have not done it yet I am looking into it. The other option that my orthopedic surgeon gave me was to detach my Achilles tendon shave the bone down and reattach the tendon. There is no way I'm going to do that just to be able to walk in the morning.

ragnaROK
10-04-2004, 09:41 PM
I only use polyester now since switching from sythn guts, I probably should hybrid more often but I prefer the overall feel of full poly jobs. I get chronic pain in my wrist but I don't know whether that is caused by the poly. I have a swing that flicks my wrist out at the end to add sidespin to my topspin foreheads. Polyester is certainly harsher than some other strings and has caused my wrist more pain since using it but other than that, no sore shoulders, elbows, or anything else

Deuce
10-04-2004, 09:58 PM
I've been using an all Polyester job for about a year now. No problems at all. I'm surprised with how soft and comfortable it feels, actually (Gosen Polylon at 53 pounds in 81 sq. in. Head Graphite Edge).

I find basic nylon to lead to vibrations which well exceed Polyester.