PDA

View Full Version : Strings.....I Want to Try Something New...

Benjamin
10-03-2004, 04:53 PM
I just broke the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L string in one of my POG mids today and the LBBALUP16L is getting ready to go in my other POG mid. I figure it's a good time to experiment with some stringing options.

I'm wanting to move away from the poly world and into something that offers better playability and feel without going down to zero durability.

Just as a reference point I typically get 40 sets of tennis in before the Luxilon breaks and about 6 sets in before a Prince Synthetic Gut 17g with Duraflex would break.

I'm looking for any suggestions you can give on a string(s) to try.

Thanks.

Benjamin

HeavyBall
10-03-2004, 05:25 PM
Bow Brand mains and Sensation SUPREME crosses. Plays very close to a full gut job, IMO.

Marc C.
10-03-2004, 06:21 PM
What's wrong with 6 sets from psg 17 duraflex?? I get about 2, but I string my own rackets and have a bunch of them.

racketrx
10-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Try the new Technifibre X-one biphase. This is a multifilament with good durability. Prestretch it before stringing. It has power, durability, doesn't move much. Great String.

bcaz
10-03-2004, 11:48 PM
Wow, Benjamin, that's a huge spread between those strings. THe Lux must be very dead well before it breaks. From Previous posts, I know you have ised other polys and play with the string-chewing POG. There is no one solution. Natural gut mains would not go dead, but the stick would chew them up. You could swicth to PSGD or Gosen, but you would have to string you own racquets, and frequently, which will eat up the frame. For you, I would suggest either cheap gut (Bow) mains with a poly cross, or a decent multi that holds tension and isn't exremely expensive, like LaserFibre Supreme.

Jerry Seinfeld
10-04-2004, 03:50 AM
The most durable multi that I have played to date is the Yonex 850 Pro. The LF Supreme does hold tension a bit better but is just not in the same class in terms of durability...plus the 850 pro is a fairly inexpensive string and plays surprisingly well.

Ben also might find the new LF Kryptonite or even the Touch Turbo to play softer than some other poly composites out there. Used in hybrid with a soft synthetic gut he will experience a softer stringbed than with the ALU.