PDA

View Full Version : The wonders of soaking in cold water

Trainer
06-25-2007, 05:26 AM
I played 6 sets yesterday, 3 singles then 3 doubles, in 95+ heat, probably closer to 100+ on the court. Needless to say, I was aching all over afterwards, and I knew that if history was any indicator, I was looking at being sore for quite a while afterwards. Though I'd heard about it, I never got the guts to try, but I finally got the courage to fill my tub with cold water, pour in lots of ice, and soak.

The first 2 minutes were the hard part. Getting in was very very hard to get myself to do. But, after I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. Next time, I'll get in the cold water, and then slowly add the ice so it isn't such a shock.

I stayed in for about 20 minutes, and the difference was incredible. I didn't ache at all last night, and I feel very fresh this morning. I never thought I could recover from 4.5 hours of tennis so quickly.

chess9
06-25-2007, 05:34 AM
I played 6 sets yesterday, 3 singles then 3 doubles, in 95+ heat, probably closer to 100+ on the court. Needless to say, I was aching all over afterwards, and I knew that if history was any indicator, I was looking at being sore for quite a while afterwards. Though I'd heard about it, I never got the guts to try, but I finally got the courage to fill my tub with cold water, pour in lots of ice, and soak.

The first 2 minutes were the hard part. Getting in was very very hard to get myself to do. But, after I got used to it, it wasn't so bad. Next time, I'll get in the cold water, and then slowly add the ice so it isn't such a shock.

I stayed in for about 20 minutes, and the difference was incredible. I didn't ache at all last night, and I feel very fresh this morning. I never thought I could recover from 4.5 hours of tennis so quickly.

Brilliant, mate! Yes, I do that all the time because at my age everything aches just taking the racquet out of the bag. Ice is your friend. So many spas have hot tubs, but few of them have ice baths! You will get used to it very quickly. It becomes quite easy to do.

-Robert

origmarm
06-25-2007, 05:49 AM
Wow I had never heard of this, sounds like it should work though. Takes a brave person however!

summer
06-25-2007, 07:44 AM
Would cold showers have a similar effect?

Trainer
06-25-2007, 08:02 AM
I doubt it. I think it needs to be very cold water. You need to ice it down.

pro_staff
06-25-2007, 08:22 AM
I will probably never be able to do something like that. I hate cold water. So I avoid taking a bath after tennis because I cramp up 99% of the time in hot water.

El Diablo
06-25-2007, 08:51 AM
Next time you play 4.5 hours in 100 degree weather, check your body temperature as you finish. Prolonged heat exposure can damage things like your brain and other semi-neccessities, so it may not be such a grand idea.

Trainer
06-25-2007, 09:16 AM
G, thanks for the derail diablo.

El Diablo
06-25-2007, 09:29 AM
G, sorry mate, thought this was the HEALTH and fitness section. Proceed at your own peril.

chess9
06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
Next time you play 4.5 hours in 100 degree weather, check your body temperature as you finish. Prolonged heat exposure can damage things like your brain and other semi-neccessities, so it may not be such a grand idea.

Bwuahahahaha! Very true.

Don't do any of the 100 mile runs in the desert, Ironman, or many Half-Ironman races. One March (I think) I did Half-Ironman Florida and not only was the surf a big surprise but the bloody heat was horrid (about 93 F on the pavement). 6 hours later I was well-baked. Took me two weeks to stop walking funny.... The worst part was the race was in Panama City Beach, Florida, the ********* of the universe.

Excessive testosterone is such an ugly thing to see in action. ;)

Sorry to respond to the derail. Bad form on my part. :)

-Robert

xtremerunnerars
06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Alright! Ice baths are magic, I swear. They really are not that bad; after a while, you actually feel sorta warm.

May want to watch staying in longer than 20 minutes because most doctors and therapists will tell you you're at risk for skin damage and there's probably a host of circulatory issues that come into play also (both seriously and ;)).

Virginia
06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
Having a dip in the ocean has the same effect. Luckily for me, my tennis club is 5 minutes walk from the beach.

heycal
06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
G, thanks for the derail diablo.

G, sorry mate, thought this was the HEALTH and fitness section. Proceed at your own peril.

Are either of you Australian? If yes, pardon the interruption. If not, please don't use the term "mate". You are Americans, for Godssakes. Show a little self-respect!

As for the subject of El Diablo's post, I am not a doctor and can not comment upon it from that standpoint. However, I have yet to hear of any deaths, or say, heat-induced mental ******ation, from playing tennis all day...

AAAA
06-27-2007, 04:57 AM
Some professional marathon runners take ice baths after training, they only soak the legs.

zapvor
06-27-2007, 05:10 PM
uh...yea i am a little concerned. it probably doesn ache because your nerves are frozen from the ice cold temperature. probbaly not a good idea.

Trainer
06-28-2007, 05:52 AM
uh...yea i am a little concerned. it probably doesn ache because your nerves are frozen from the ice cold temperature. probbaly not a good idea.

Zapvor, you aren't very bright are you?

richw76
06-28-2007, 07:18 AM
Having a dip in the ocean has the same effect. Luckily for me, my tennis club is 5 minutes walk from the beach.

Virginia, now you're just bragging! But it worked I'm very jealous :-) I grew up in Miami near the beach, and now I'm land locked in Atlanta. Jumping in the Bay after <Fill in the Blank> is the only thing I really miss about Miami.

oh and I don't think Ice bath means 10 bags and -30 degree temps. I usually run the water cold and add the equal to half a bag or so, cold but not frost bite in 5 seconds cold.

zapvor
06-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Zapvor, you aren't very bright are you?

lol. what about this: dump some liquid nitrogen in the tub, then soak in it for 20 minutes.