PDA

View Full Version : Sampras comback..Mac's comment!!

vhl71
06-25-2007, 10:22 AM
McEnroe's quote 10mins ago on BBC:

Sampras did not win a tournament for two years and then he won the US Open - that's the way to go out. I think Pete would have done quite well here this year if he'd chosen to make a comeback, which he was thinking about."

Your views/comments??

TennisandMusic
06-25-2007, 10:25 AM
McEnroe says a lot of stuff. Who he thinks is the best player changes on a daily basis etc. I don't think Pete really thinks he could compete at his age.

dunloplayah
06-25-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, he's doing an exhibition tour with pete thruout the country, I'm going july 22 here, time to butter up his traveling mates! I love mac, don't get me wrong, but I also believe john says a lot of stuff and different on a daily basis.

shrakkie
06-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Yeah and Resedski gave him a look as to say " are you flipping crazy!!!!"

carol4832
06-25-2007, 03:54 PM
If pete came back today, I think he would have a pretty good chance of Breaking the Top 25. If he could, what would that say about everyone currently playing. ??

veritech
06-25-2007, 04:32 PM
don't comeback pete. you've retired at the top. any result besides a win would tarnish your already legend reputation.

Mad iX
06-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Sampras wouldn't attempt a comeback to be Top 25 in the world. No way.

VGP
06-26-2007, 09:12 PM
If Pete plays Roger something fierce in the exos this fall, perhaps he'll give it a try........

christo
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
I love Pete but he could barely hang in WTT with the young guns, a few long rallies and he would keel over.

keithchircop
06-26-2007, 10:01 PM
has anyone seen his recent match against johnny mac? anyone think that kind of play could break into the top 25, beat someone like nalbandian is CRAZY.

superman1
06-26-2007, 10:57 PM
Sampras was very casual in his match against JMac because he knew it would be a breeze. Watch his WTT match with Roddick from last year (I think you can find it at roddickwatch dot com or some such site). It wasn't a tour match of course, but I guarantee you that Roddick was trying as hard as he could on a lot of those points, and Sampras still blew him away. Someone on this board was at that match and said that Roddick complained to Billie Jean King afterwards that it was just supposed to be a fun match, he didn't expect Sampras to come out guns blazing. When he did, he had no answer.

Sampras wouldn't last on tour for the full schedule, but he could easily come in and win a few small tournaments like Newport Beach and LA. Still doesn't make up for the fact that he retired too early and the fact that Agassi trounced him in the heart department.

35ft6
06-27-2007, 02:48 AM
Sampras was very casual in his match against JMac because he knew it would be a breeze. Watch his WTT match with Roddick from last year (I think you can find it at roddickwatch dot com or some such site). It wasn't a tour match of course, but I guarantee you that Roddick was trying as hard as he could on a lot of those points, and Sampras still blew him away. Someone on this board was at that match and said that Roddick complained to Billie Jean King afterwards that it was just supposed to be a fun match, he didn't expect Sampras to come out guns blazing. When he did, he had no answer. Roddick beat him when Sampras was still on the tour, playing pretty well. Exhibitions really don't mean anything. Sampras, Mr. Only the Slams Matter, would be the first to agree.

tHotGates
06-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Sampras was very casual in his match against JMac because he knew it would be a breeze. Watch his WTT match with Roddick from last year (I think you can find it at roddickwatch dot com or some such site). It wasn't a tour match of course, but I guarantee you that Roddick was trying as hard as he could on a lot of those points, and Sampras still blew him away. Someone on this board was at that match and said that Roddick complained to Billie Jean King afterwards that it was just supposed to be a fun match, he didn't expect Sampras to come out guns blazing. When he did, he had no answer.

Sampras wouldn't last on tour for the full schedule, but he could easily come in and win a few small tournaments like Newport Beach and LA. Still doesn't make up for the fact that he retired too early and the fact that Agassi trounced him in the heart department.

Can you provide a link for that match? I've looked & found nothing .. thanks.

superman1
06-27-2007, 09:57 AM
http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com/2006/10/roddick-rolls-in-vienna.html

It's near the bottom of the page.

I agree that exhibitions don't mean a whole lot, but this exhibition did prove that Sampras' serve is still one of the best in the world and that he can still hit a big ball. Sampras was always a lazy ba$**** who only stepped it up when he was playing in a Slam other than the French Open, and whenever he was playing against Agassi. Even though this was just an exo, he pretty much played at 100%, maybe to send a little message to you-know-who. I guarantee you he's training hard right now and he'll be playing as well as he can in that exhibition against Fed. History is unkind to retired players who didn't play at the top for 4 consecutive generations of tennis evolution, and Sampras knows it.

snapple
06-27-2007, 10:02 AM
History is unkind to retired players who didn't play at the top for 4 consecutive generations of tennis evolution, and Sampras knows it.

What players have? (besides maybe Connors)

fastdunn
06-27-2007, 01:00 PM

I saw that match with Roddick. I'm not sure how seriously Roddick was playing
but Sampras was surely sending out some messages.

Doc Hollidae
06-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Sampras and Agassi should come back and play doubles together, Martina N. style.

quest01
06-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Its really a pity that Sampras retired at only 31. Sampras could have possibly won a few more slams and had a chance to play Federer a few more times. Its really to bad that Sampras probably regrets today.

superman1
06-27-2007, 02:49 PM
What players have? (besides maybe Connors)

Andre Agassi. He was #3 in 1988 behind Lendl and Wilander. Then you have the early 90's and late 90's, which were quite different. Then the 00's, and the new strings and the slower courts. He was #3 in '88 and #7 in '05 without even playing a whole lot that year. He was the only guy who proved that he could survive in any era on any surface. That doesn't make up for the fact that Sampras was 20-14 against him and had a more stellar career statistically, but it certainly closes the gap a bit.

TheNatural
06-28-2007, 02:45 AM
Sampras spanked him convincingly the last time they played when it mattered MOST at the 2002 US open.6-3 6-2 6-4 He would do the same now.

Roddick beat him when Sampras was still on the tour, playing pretty well. Exhibitions really don't mean anything. Sampras, Mr. Only the Slams Matter, would be the first to agree.

35ft6
06-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Sampras was always a lazy ba$**** who only stepped it up when he was playing in a Slam other than the French Open, and whenever he was playing against Agassi. Even though this was just an exo, he pretty much played at 100%, Sampras wasn't playing by himself, though. Did Roddick take it as seriously? I really doubt it. He's in a no-win situation. If he went out there and played lights out and just destroyed Sampras, he would look like a jerk, no?

35ft6
06-28-2007, 04:53 AM
Sampras spanked him convincingly the last time they played when it mattered MOST at the 2002 US open.6-3 6-2 6-4 He would do the same now. So you're saying that Sampras could come back and be top 5 in the world, eh?

tHotGates
06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
http://roddickwatch.blogspot.com/2006/10/roddick-rolls-in-vienna.html

It's near the bottom of the page.

Are these links active? Was anybody else able to view this match/links? Where is the code displayed in the image for download (see Mega MGR). Thanks

jaded
06-28-2007, 04:14 PM
when does Sampras play Federer? any details?

fgbowen33
06-28-2007, 11:18 PM
If his serve his working on grass he is unbeatable

Deuce
06-29-2007, 12:09 AM
McEnroe's quote 10mins ago on BBC:

Sampras did not win a tournament for two years and then he won the US Open - that's the way to go out. I think Pete would have done quite well here this year if he'd chosen to make a comeback, which he was thinking about."

Your views/comments??
I think that's called 'Trying to sell tickets to his exhibition tour with Sampras'.

the green god
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Jonas Björkman, semis and quarterfinals the last two years. We all know Sampras wouldn't play as good as him.