PDA

View Full Version : I used to think old people should benefit from playing on slow surfaces

Ripper
06-26-2007, 08:30 AM
But I was wrong. As you get older, you want to end the points faster. Slow surfaces don't help in doing that. Any different opinions?

kevhen
06-26-2007, 08:34 AM
Faster surfaces give older players more pace to work with but less time to run down balls. I think older players who tend to hit flatter and lower to the net would benefit in doubles from playing on a faster surface. In singles they may still benefit more on a slower surface but it would depend on the individual. Most older players can place the ball better than younger players but they can often outrally younger players as well if they can get to the ball. Younger players outmove and outhit them so I think a slow surface would benefit the elderly in singles.

beernutz
06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
"As you get older, you want to end the points faster. "

Er, no not in my case. I think I qualify as older but I love playing long points. I'm out there for the exercise and recreation as much as for the competition.

LuckyR
06-26-2007, 10:49 AM
But I was wrong. As you get older, you want to end the points faster. Slow surfaces don't help in doing that. Any different opinions?

Depends if the goal is less running, ie poor stamina, which the last time I checked was not limited to older folks. Or less jarring of the joints on a softer surface, which I can verify from personal experience becomes an issue over time.

GuyClinch
06-26-2007, 11:56 AM
No way. I love Har-Truu it's the best surface IMHO. Older folks don't lose stamina - they lose raw speed. I suppose at the high levels on a slow surface this will be a problem but for the average 3.5 - 4.0 player you meet at the club level they don't have the strokes to punish slower people.

Pete

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-26-2007, 12:17 PM
It isn't the speed of the ball necessarily that's good for older players on caly/har-tru. It's the lower impact on joints. Since you slide a little more and the surface itself isn't as hard, your body takes less of a beating. Your muscles get more of a workout.

Geezer Guy
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Agree with TBI. As people get older the softer courts are easier on the body, allowing us to play longer. The length of the point has nothing to do with it.

Thomas Bird-Itch
06-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Thinking more about this... it is widely known that more power is required to put away balls on clay, b/c the surface is slower. If you play on various surfaces, you might string your "clay" racquet(s) 5-10 lbs lower to give you a little more juice. It's a great place to learn point construction and subdue the instinct to go for as many outright winners. That, plus you get the bonus of a better workout and less irritation in your joints.

Off The Wall
06-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I guess it depends, like on if you're playing an old slow opponent. You wouldn't mind long points, etc.

Ripper
06-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Ok, let's put it this way: Two advanced players play against each other, one is 30, the other is 60. What surface would the 60 old guy benefit the more from in that situation? A fast one, imo, because his only hope would be ending the points, ASAP.

GuyClinch
06-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok, let's put it this way: Two advanced players play against each other, one is 30, the other is 60. What surface would the 60 old guy benefit the more from in that situation? A fast one, imo, because his only hope would be ending the points, ASAP.

Your right if they both played like Roddick. In the real world though the 60 year old guy is going to have a bunch of spinning off-speed backspin angled junk and would stand a better shot on clay, IMHO. While the young kid is going to hit like Roddick and like the fast court.

Pete