PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here actually tried Kettlebells ?

atatu
10-04-2004, 07:41 AM
I recall the Kettlebells thread awhile ago, but I'm wondering if anyone here has actually tried them and what your experiences were.

Ronaldo
10-04-2004, 03:18 PM
Watched guys workout w/kettlebells but they were on their way to NFL training camps.

IceBlue
10-06-2004, 05:38 AM
I lift Russian kettlebells. I find them to be very good--I also took a lesson on how to properly perform the lifts and that helped out a lot. There is a lot of information on Russian kettlebell lifting at www.dragondoor.com. The lifting has really caused an increase in speed and power in my tennis game as well. Good luck!

Mikael
10-06-2004, 09:24 AM
I'd be interested in kettlebells but it would probably be overtraining if I added that to my weightlifting and gymnastics routine. Neuromuscular recovery is a *****...

Marius_Hancu
12-03-2004, 04:34 PM
I lift Russian kettlebells. I find them to be very good-

Why would one use them instead of other free weights? Just for variety? Tell us more ...

IceBlue
12-03-2004, 08:37 PM
The kettlebells require a lot more strength to perform exercises with lighter weights than what could be performed with heavier free weights. Since the kettlebells can be "swung" they provide a lot of stability which trains proprioception--you can train your body in an unstable environment, similar to athletics. Also, the kettlebells really work grip strength well, which is beneficial for volleys especially.

Geezer Guy
01-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Kettlebells were recently featured in a Tennis magizine article: http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/fitness/fitness.aspx?id=56596

And, more info can be found here: www.KettlebellConcepts.com.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these, and what they thought. Thanks.

atatu
01-09-2007, 01:08 PM
Since the time I started this post, I bought a 35 pound kettlebell and some instructional books/DVD's. I was using the KB a good bit in an effort to get a little more power. I like the KB swing exercise which is explained in tennis magazine. I have to say though, that the KB hype is a little over the top.At the moment I'm not using the KB as much because I decided to take up the Olympic lifts (clean and jerk, snatch) and they take some time to learn. I'm learning them from a Russian guy who was a world champion in the early 90's, I'll probably go back to using the KB pretty soon on a limited basis.