PDA

View Full Version : Can't gain weight!

Noveson
06-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm 16 years old and having some problems gaining any weight at all. My family is a bunch of high level runners, which doesn't help much. I'm just about 6 feet tall and weigh only 135 lbs. What should I be eating to help me gain weight? My metabolism is too damn fast, and I play either tennis or basketball around 2 hours a day.

Thanks for the help.

Voltron
06-26-2007, 02:49 PM
Why do you want to gain weight again?

Pen Express
06-26-2007, 03:39 PM
Umm, track what you eat and eat every 2 - 3 hours. Eat around 3,000 calories. Lift weights too.

Rodditha
06-26-2007, 03:41 PM
Drink beer.:) :D

Ano
06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
If my memory serves me right, you posted that question a few months ago, right?

And many posters have given you good replies in your thread.

In short, if you can't gain weight, you do NOT eat enough.

Most people who want to get big simply eat too few calories. I know what you’re thinking — DUH! I already know this. But do you? If you’re skinny, then you don’t!

The body obeys the laws of thermodynamics (just a fancy physics word for describing how the body can’t build muscle without extra energy around to build it with) and therefore if you’re losing weight—you’re not taking enough energy in; if you’re weight stable—you’re balancing intake with output; if you’re gaining weight—you’re taking more energy in than you’re burning.

So if you’re reading this post and want to get bigger, the solution should be relatively simple, right? Pick up some food and start eating it right now. By eating a greater number of calories than you’re currently eating, you’ll finally be able to put those high school physics lessons to good use.

So, first and foremost, start eating. Before you worry about macro percentages, about which program is the best for you, what supplements you should take, etc. Just start eating.

pro_staff
06-26-2007, 06:15 PM
If my memory serves me right, you posted that question a few months ago, right?

And many posters have given you good replies in your thread.

In short, if you can't gain weight, you do NOT eat enough.

Most people who want to get big simply eat too few calories. I know what you’re thinking — DUH! I already know this. But do you? If you’re skinny, then you don’t!

The body obeys the laws of thermodynamics (just a fancy physics word for describing how the body can’t build muscle without extra energy around to build it with) and therefore if you’re losing weight—you’re not taking enough energy in; if you’re weight stable—you’re balancing intake with output; if you’re gaining weight—you’re taking more energy in than you’re burning.

So if you’re reading this post and want to get bigger, the solution should be relatively simple, right? Pick up some food and start eating it right now. By eating a greater number of calories than you’re currently eating, you’ll finally be able to put those high school physics lessons to good use.

So, first and foremost, start eating. Before you worry about macro percentages, about which program is the best for you, what supplements you should take, etc. Just start eating.

True, but don't eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. At least eat relatively healthy. I mean, eating 4 burgers a day will allow you to gain weight. But is it worth it for high blood pressure and other medical issues?

Ano
06-26-2007, 06:23 PM
True, but don't eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. At least eat relatively healthy. I mean, eating 4 burgers a day will allow you to gain weight. But is it worth it for high blood pressure and other medical issues?

I agree with you.

In fact, if you read my posts, you should have known by now that I always recommend people to live a healthy life-style: weight training, cardio and good eating habit (lean protein, healthy fats, fruits and veggies.).

lethalfang
06-26-2007, 06:43 PM
I'm 16 years old and having some problems gaining any weight at all. My family is a bunch of high level runners, which doesn't help much. I'm just about 6 feet tall and weigh only 135 lbs. What should I be eating to help me gain weight? My metabolism is too damn fast, and I play either tennis or basketball around 2 hours a day.

Thanks for the help.

For people who are still growing, it's difficult to gain weight (in waist areas, that is). Much of the "extra" calories you eat are spent on growth.
Consider your high metabolism a good thing. You will gain weight more easily when you are in the 20's, when you're no longer growing taller. For many people, they gain weight way too easily after 20.

fuzz nation
06-26-2007, 07:40 PM
Easy on the junk food!

There's better and better info coming out on proper nutrition these days and you could probably learn some good lifelong dietary habits from reading up on the topic a little. Example: one rule I'm finding more and more frequently is to eat carbs and protein together, not separately. Otherwise your digestion and metabolism won't run as efficiently.

As far as gaining useful weight goes, it takes a while to build much muscle tissue - my understanding is that we typically can only develop ten to twelve pounds of it annually without the help of modern chemistry. If you're into tennis, you want to add muscle that will help you move, but not fat that will slow you down. If you hit the gym, your muscle building endeavors can make you stronger and leaner (adding more muscle will keep your metabolism running higher).

Building lean muscle mass is a long term project and your body is probably still doing a lot of its basic growing including your bones, etc. Lifting is good - it will make you stronger and more injury resistant - but the weight gaining issue may take some patience. You could even consider a session with a trainer to get some input on workout habits and nutrition.

Ano
06-26-2007, 07:48 PM
Noveson, my memory serves me right.

You did ask that question.

Here's the link to your previous post about this topic.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106756&page=2

Well, you weigh 135 pounds.

In the previous post you weighed 125 pounds.

You have gained 10 pounds in the past 7 months, and you said you can't gain weight.

What's your problem? Do you want to gain 30 pounds in 7 months?

Ano
06-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Easy on the junk food!

There's better and better info coming out on proper nutrition these days and you could probably learn some good lifelong dietary habits from reading up on the topic a little. Example: one rule I'm finding more and more frequently is to eat carbs and protein together, not separately. Otherwise your digestion and metabolism won't run as efficiently.

As far as gaining useful weight goes, it takes a while to build much muscle tissue - my understanding is that we typically can only develop ten to twelve pounds of it annually without the help of modern chemistry. If you're into tennis, you want to add muscle that will help you move, but not fat that will slow you down. If you hit the gym, your muscle building endeavors can make you stronger and leaner (adding more muscle will keep your metabolism running higher).

Building lean muscle mass is a long term project and your body is probably still doing a lot of its basic growing including your bones, etc. Lifting is good - it will make you stronger and more injury resistant - but the weight gaining issue may take some patience. You could even consider a session with a trainer to get some input on workout habits and nutrition.

I agree with both statements.

Spector
06-26-2007, 08:41 PM
He's only 16 years old.....He shouldn't start a weight programme.

Ano
06-26-2007, 08:58 PM

Sorry, I disagree.

If you don't trust me (which is certainly your right), read these to books :

- Strength Training for young athletes by William Kraemer Phd & Steven Fleck Phd

- Strength & Power for young athletes by Wayne Wescott Phd & Avery Faigenbaum EdD

Noveson
06-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Yes Ano I did make that thread earlier. Sorry shouldn't have done that, I'm just frustrated. It seems like I will gain a few pounds, a few days of big meals and lots of snacks, and then I'll have to work, or have lots of homework, and I'll be back down to wehre I started. No one else my age has trouble gaining weight lol.

Is eating stuff like crackers and cheese okay for snacks? Because I have a hard time finding good meals in our house during summer. What is something that I can get from the store and eat quickly. I know fish and rice and all of that is good to eat, but I can't exactly make that stuff for breakfast and lunch when nobody is home. Is there something that is good and practical for me too eat?

Spector
06-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Well haven't looked at those books yet but I might give them a look at a later stage. Based on the titles however, I think we may be talking about different things.

I'm referring to hypertrophy and not necessarily strength and conditioning training. There are tonnes of published articles about the dangers to children who undergo hypertrophy programmes.

Ano
06-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Well haven't looked at those books yet but I might give them a look at a later stage. Based on the titles however, I think we may be talking about different things.

I'm referring to hypertrophy and not necessarily strength and conditioning training. There are tonnes of published articles about the dangers to children who undergo hypertrophy programmes.

Okay, in that case, we are in agreement.

Teenagers under 17, can lift weight, but they should NOT lift relatively heavy weight ( in the 1-9 rep range).

They should lift relatively light weight, in the 15-20 rep range.

Ano
06-26-2007, 10:58 PM
Yes Ano I did make that thread earlier. Sorry shouldn't have done that, I'm just frustrated. It seems like I will gain a few pounds, a few days of big meals and lots of snacks, and then I'll have to work, or have lots of homework, and I'll be back down to wehre I started. No one else my age has trouble gaining weight lol.

Is eating stuff like crackers and cheese okay for snacks? Because I have a hard time finding good meals in our house during summer. What is something that I can get from the store and eat quickly. I know fish and rice and all of that is good to eat, but I can't exactly make that stuff for breakfast and lunch when nobody is home. Is there something that is good and practical for me too eat?

No need to apology. Gaining muscle weight can be done, you just need more patience.

Okay, you said your parents don't allow you to take supplements. So you have to concentrate on real foods that are practical.

Here's what I recommend :

- fruits (apples, bananas, avocado, oranges, strawberries, etc).
Try to eat 5 - 7 pieces of fruits per day.

- whole wheat bread

- can of tuna (packed in water). Of course, it's better if you can get fresh
tuna, but in your case, can of tuna is more practical.

- skim milk if you can tolerate milk. Put extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil into the milk.

You can make a tuna sandwich, and eat it with fruits. Then drink a cup of milk. No excuse. You certainly can prepare a sandwich and milk by yourself.

You can make several sandwiches, and bring them and the fruits to your school. Bring a thermos filled with milk to your school too.

Just remember, eat, eat, eat, try to eat every 3 hours. Good luck.

Noveson
06-26-2007, 11:04 PM
No need to apology. Gaining muscle weight can be done, you just need more patience.

Okay, you said your parents don't allow you to take supplements. So you have to concentrate on real foods that are practical.

Here's what I recommend :

- fruits (apples, bananas, avocado, oranges, strawberries, etc).
Try to eat 5 - 7 pieces of fruits per day.

- whole wheat bread

- can of tuna (packed in water). Of course, it's better if you can get fresh
tuna, but in your case, can of tuna is more practical.

- skim milk if you can tolerate milk. Put extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil into the milk.

You can make a tuna sandwich, and eat it with fruits. Then drink a cup of milk. No excuse. You certainly can prepare a sandwich and milk by yourself.

You can make several sandwiches, and bring them and fruits to your school. Bring a thermos filled with milk, and bring the thermos to your school too.

Just remember, eat, eat, eat, try to eat every 3 hours. Good luck.

Okay the fruit part I have, whole wheat bread is good also, I absolutely despise tuna though lol, and I drink a lot of milk already, is skim milk that much better? THanks a lot Ano, nice to have someone who will help.

Ano
06-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Okay the fruit part I have, whole wheat bread is good also, I absolutely despise tuna though lol, and I drink a lot of milk already, is skim milk that much better? THanks a lot Ano, nice to have someone who will help.

You are welcome. I always try to help as much as I can. You just lucky I'm not busy at the office today.

Milk contains more saturated fat (unhealthy fat) than skim milk.

So its better if you drink skim milk with extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil (both are a good sources of healthy fats).

If you hate tuna, you can replace it with grilled chicken breast or egg whites. But you have to cook/grill the chicken breast or egg whites.

Do you have time to do it?

If you don't, then you have no choice but to eat tuna.

Spector
06-27-2007, 02:20 AM
Okay, in that case, we are in agreement.

Teenagers under 17, can lift weight, but they should NOT lift relatively heavy weight ( in the 1-9 rep range).

They should lift relatively light weight, in the 15-20 rep range.

Agreed :D

Sorry for the earlier confusion, I should have been more specific.

I notice you talk about milk and just wondering if you have looked at any of the research done on A1 Vs A2 milk? I found it quite interesting myself.

Heres but one link to a research article aout it:
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v59/n5/abs/1602104a.html

Spector
06-27-2007, 02:23 AM
I agree that tuna (tin) tastes rather fowl. However there is a way of turning tuna into a delicious meal.

Simply shallow fry the tuna in olive oil until it goes slightly crispy. Serve with your favourite sauce and have salad on the side......Delicious!

chess9
06-27-2007, 03:25 AM

Bad advice. Kids, under supervision, can be lifting at a very very young age. I started at 8 in a boxing gym run by my buddy's dad. Lifting before puberty will not confer much in the way of muscle mass, but will improve neuro-muscular coordination, meaning strength gains can be phenomenal. If you doubt it, go to almost any large gym where you can see pre-pubescent boys and girls lifting heavy-ish.

My personal view is that a wide variety of physical activities is best for younger kids, including lifting. Running, swimming, tennis, basketball, soccer, cycling, etc.

I'm sure I'm wrong, though, and will be told so as usual. :)

-Robert

chess9
06-27-2007, 03:26 AM
Sorry, I disagree.

If you don't trust me (which is certainly your right), read these to books :

- Strength Training for young athletes by William Kraemer Phd & Steven Fleck Phd

- Strength & Power for young athletes by Wayne Wescott Phd & Avery Faigenbaum EdD

Great books. I have Fleck's book.

-Robert

CanadianChic
06-27-2007, 04:13 AM
Wow...I only wish I had this problem. You need to start the CC diet and you'll gain weight in no time. ;)

chess9
06-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Wow...I only wish I had this problem. You need to start the CC diet and you'll gain weight in no time. ;)

He's too young to buy liquor, and isn't allowed to stay up til 4 a.m. drinking with his buddies. ;)

-Robert

richw76
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
Agreed :D

Sorry for the earlier confusion, I should have been more specific.

I notice you talk about milk and just wondering if you have looked at any of the research done on A1 Vs A2 milk? I found it quite interesting myself.

Heres but one link to a research article aout it:
http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v59/n5/abs/1602104a.html

and Spector. I thought after about age 13 the only people that get stunted growth from strength training is little russian academy kids doing Hardcore Powerliftign type training. 1-5 rep squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk that kind of stuff. When I started high school my main sports were football, tennis, and soccer. I stopped playing football, but stayed friends with all teh guys and went to the gym with them.

I knew a couple guys over 6'2'' and lifted some when we were 14-15. By the time we were 15 or 16 probably 10th grade they were lifting very heavy. However we all had good form, since the football/strength coach has real picky about form.

The kid is 16 not sure how tall but from what he's sayign it sounds like he could be better off doing the recommended diet, and more of a powerlifters regime. no "cheat" movments just good clean form.

And at 16 unless he takes steroids he's not going to get body builder big, but if his main sport is tennis he wants to end up lean and muscular not bulky anyway. I think following ano's advise he could get there in 3-6 months.

richw76
06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Bad advice. Kids, under supervision, can be lifting at a very very young age. I started at 8 in a boxing gym run by my buddy's dad. Lifting before puberty will not confer much in the way of muscle mass, but will improve neuro-muscular coordination, meaning strength gains can be phenomenal. If you doubt it, go to almost any large gym where you can see pre-pubescent boys and girls lifting heavy-ish.

My personal view is that a wide variety of physical activities is best for younger kids, including lifting. Running, swimming, tennis, basketball, soccer, cycling, etc.

-Robert

sounds exactly right to me. :-)

zapvor
06-27-2007, 05:14 PM
For people who are still growing, it's difficult to gain weight (in waist areas, that is). Much of the "extra" calories you eat are spent on growth.
Consider your high metabolism a good thing. You will gain weight more easily when you are in the 20's, when you're no longer growing taller. For many people, they gain weight way too easily after 20.

not for me. i am still unable to gain weight. :(

Ano
06-27-2007, 05:34 PM
and Spector. I thought after about age 13 the only people that get stunted growth from strength training is little russian academy kids doing Hardcore Powerliftign type training. 1-5 rep squats, deadlifts, clean and jerk that kind of stuff. When I started high school my main sports were football, tennis, and soccer. I stopped playing football, but stayed friends with all teh guys and went to the gym with them.

I knew a couple guys over 6'2'' and lifted some when we were 14-15. By the time we were 15 or 16 probably 10th grade they were lifting very heavy. However we all had good form, since the football/strength coach has real picky about form.

The kid is 16 not sure how tall but from what he's sayign it sounds like he could be better off doing the recommended diet, and more of a powerlifters regime. no "cheat" movments just good clean form.

And at 16 unless he takes steroids he's not going to get body builder big, but if his main sport is tennis he wants to end up lean and muscular not bulky anyway. I think following ano's advise he could get there in 3-6 months.

Sorry, pal. It depends on what you mean with lean and muscular. ;)

The OP's height is 6 feet. He weigh 135 pounds.

If he wants to be lean and muscular (to get the body like Robby Ginepri's), he needs to gain between 20-30 pounds of muscle. In my estimation, the OP could get there in 2-4 years, not in 3-6 months.

princess bossass
06-27-2007, 05:35 PM

LOL! I was going to post almost the exact same thing. Did you have any urge to punch someone when you read the title of this post? :p If I stop working out for a week, my pants don't fit! Life ain't fair. Then again, I'm not 16 years old. :( :cry:

Ano
06-27-2007, 05:39 PM
LOL! I was going to post almost the exact same thing. Did you have any urge to punch someone when you read the title of this post? :p If I stop working out for a week, my pants don't fit! Life ain't fair. Then again, I'm not 16 years old. :( :cry:

Yeah, right. I did have the urge to punch someone when I read the title of this post. ;)

As CC said, I wish I had the OP's problem.

Ano
06-27-2007, 05:41 PM

-Robert

Well, you are WRONG. But I AGREE with what you said. ;)

chair ump
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM
This one's easy...taco bell, pizza, and lotsa beer!

Noveson
06-27-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, right. I did have the urge to punch someone when I read the title of this post. ;)

As CC said, I wish I had the OP's problem.

Sorry guys, trust me how I am isn't much better than being fat.

Noveson
06-27-2007, 09:15 PM
You are welcome. I always try to help as much as I can. You just lucky I'm not busy at the office today.

Milk contains more saturated fat (unhealthy fat) than skim milk.

So its better if you drink skim milk with extra virgin olive oil or flax seed oil (both are a good sources of healthy fats).

If you hate tuna, you can replace it with grilled chicken breast or egg whites. But you have to cook/grill the chicken breast or egg whites.

Do you have time to do it?

If you don't, then you have no choice but to eat tuna.

Okay thanks, I can do the eat whites at least. I'm eating grapes, skim milk, and a turkey sanwich as we speak.

princess bossass
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Do you like avocado? On a turkey sandwich I bet it'd be awesome. And they're full of calories. I could live on only avocado. I could gain 20 lbs in a month if you supplied me with enough avocado. I'm gonna go make some guacamole now.

Mmm. guacamole.

Noveson
06-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Do you like avocado? On a turkey sandwich I bet it'd be awesome. And they're full of calories. I could live on only avocado. I could gain 20 lbs in a month if you supplied me with enough avocado. I'm gonna go make some guacamole now.

Mmm. guacamole.

I love avocado, I will have ot try that. You live in Portland? We aren't so far away. One of my best friends goes to Lincoln HS.

princess bossass
06-27-2007, 10:01 PM
I love avocado, I will have ot try that. You live in Portland? We aren't so far away. One of my best friends goes to Lincoln HS.

Yeah. But the name of that high school means nothing to me...I'm 28 :p

Rodditha
06-27-2007, 10:11 PM
[quote=CanadianChic;1546219]Wow...I only wish I had this problem. You need to start the CC diet and you'll gain weight in no time. ;)[/quote
Totally agree, i posted at the start that he should drink beer or liquor.
In my country any kid can buy that stuff.

Ano
06-27-2007, 11:02 PM

Avocado is a good source of Omega-9 / MUFA (mono unsaturated fatty acids).

Omega-9 is good for your health.

It's a good idea to eat a turkey avocado sandwich.

zapvor
06-28-2007, 06:10 PM
the best is chocolate avocade bubble tea. MMMMM i knwo it sounds nasty, but a friend recommended it, and after i tried it, oh yeaaaaaaah

princess bossass
06-28-2007, 07:33 PM
the best is chocolate avocade bubble tea. MMMMM i knwo it sounds nasty, but a friend recommended it, and after i tried it, oh yeaaaaaaah

Huh...I'm intrigued. I like chocolate, I like avocado, I like tea...hmm...:???:

Spector
06-28-2007, 10:29 PM

-Robert

Children should not undergo hypertrophy programmes as it will have detrimental effects on them. If you do not believe then just look at some of the research done on the issue.

The comment about children lifting heavy weights in gyms, yes they are and it is horrible to see. Most of this is brought on by over the top parents putting far too much pressure on their children.