PDA

View Full Version : Richard Gasquet Strings

koolperson359
06-26-2007, 02:58 PM
does anybody happen to know what strings richard gasquet are currently using?

Bogie
06-26-2007, 06:34 PM
luxilon big banger original 1.30 strung at 25/24 kg +/- a kilo depending on the conditions

uk_skippy
06-27-2007, 11:50 AM
I did a couple for him today at, if I recall, 24/23kgs

Regards

Paul

koolperson359
06-28-2007, 08:37 AM
just out of curiousity, how were you able to string for richard gasquet...?

Sup2Dresq
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
I did a couple for him today at, if I recall, 24/23kgs

Regards

Paul

Curious, are you stringing at 25kg, or set for the poly recommend tension reduction (10%) to get it to play 25kg. Otherwise, stringing at 25kg will make it play like 27.5kg +/-.

uk_skippy
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
just out of curiousity, how were you able to string for richard gasquet...?

I've been stringing at Wimbledon for several days

Curious, are you stringing at 25kg, or set for the poly recommend tension reduction (10%) to get it to play 25kg. Otherwise, stringing at 25kg will make it play like 27.5kg +/-.

The players tell us (the stringers) what tension they want and we string their rqts to their request.

Regards

Paul

Hessam
06-30-2007, 12:25 PM
he recently switched to BB original right... some of the string logs from 2005 and 2006 show him to be using full ALU.

Bogie
06-30-2007, 12:49 PM
he recently switched to BB original right... some of the string logs from 2005 and 2006 show him to be using full ALU.

no, he has never used alu. always original

Hessam
06-30-2007, 01:04 PM
the string log from 2005 au open and french open show him to be using ALU.... do you think those are wrong? I wouldn't know how accurate they are.

TheSnowMan
06-30-2007, 02:08 PM
He did use ALU... during the time he used the I.Prestige, then he switched to Original

ShcMad
06-30-2007, 03:28 PM
no, he has never used alu. always original

Like TheSnowMan said, he did use Alu for a while when he had the I.Prestige paintjob.

Hipkat
06-30-2007, 07:40 PM
could one of you please comment on the difference in performance between the ALU and the original?

Thanks

Hessam
06-30-2007, 09:12 PM
could one of you please comment on the difference in performance between the ALU and the original?

Thanks

I would say that they are pretty close to each other. the major difference is that ALU gives you a little more control and bite (mainly because it's the stiffer of the two strings).

the are also different guages.... BB O is 1.30mm 16g, and ALU is 1.25 16Lg.

BB original to me has a little bit more power than ALU, and to me BB O is definitely softer and more elastic than ALU...although both strings are definitely on the very stiff side, as strings go.

Tension wise, they are very close to each other. BB O holds tension a little better, than ALU (probably because of the thicker guage), but not by much.

Having said all that, I am sure that at least 3 people will completely disagree with me, which only speaks to how subjective string impressions are

PurePrestige
06-30-2007, 09:29 PM
I think its really the exact opposite of what Hessam says. Not to be offensive or jump on it or anything.

But I believe BB Original is the Stiffer of the two strings and certainly feels that way to me.

BB Orig I think is a first gen poly which is stiffer and has a much crisper feeling. It is better to string lower than Alu because it has much less power. Tension maintenance for all polys is equally bad so I can't comment.

Alu is the second gen co-poly which is engineered to be softer and more playable while Original was more towards a kinda maybe kevlar type feel. Alu holds tension better supposedly and is more powerful than original. Alu definitely feels less crisp and from the get go kind of hits with a nice dull thud.

Just my views on the strings. While imo hitting with Shcmad's Instinct Tour XL when strung with BB Orig (rough) was a great setup, the stiffness aids control in that racquet particularly where i think Alu would be harder to control.

Hessam
07-01-2007, 10:43 AM
If BB original was the stiffer of the two strings, than you would see more pro's who use BB O using natural gut to soften up their string bed.

I don't know of a single pro that uses BB Original in a hybrid set up with a softer string such as nat gut.

However a lot of the players in the top 50 use some variant of the ALU/Gut hybrid, I would tend to think because ALU is too stiff of a string by itself.

Robredo -uses all BB O
Verdaso - uses all BBO
Ferrero - uses all BB O
Nalbandian - uses all BB O
Vligein - uses all BB O
Gasquet - uses all BB O
Moya - uses all BB O
Ferrer - uses all BB O

Where as

Federer - uses ALU/Gut
Safin - uses ALU/Gut
Hewitt - uses ALU/Gut
Ancic - uses ALU/Gut
Murray - uses ALU/Gut
T Johansson - uses ALU/Gut

nickb
07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
IMO big banger original is much much stiffer than ALU....infact it was so stiff I just cut it out after 10 mins of play.

The pro's that use full original prob just prefer a stiffer stringbed and want more control.

Hessam
07-01-2007, 04:26 PM
If your assertion that BB Orig is stiffer than ALU, than how do explain the fact, that no pro Hybrids BB Orig with nat gut, to make the string bed softer, while there's a huge list of pro's who hybrid ALU with nat. gut.

ALU is definitely the stiffer of the two strings. If you string both ALU and BB O in the same racket with the same tension, you can clearly tell that the ball stays on the string longer with BB Orig.

The evidence just doesn't support your point. there would at least be one pro, who would find BB original too Stiff and try and hybrid it with Nat Gut.

while there are pro's who use straight up ALU jobs (blake, gonzalez), there are a lot more pro's who use ALU/Gut hybrids.

Also look at the fact that they came out with a softer version of ALU, in the form of ALU Fluoro, while they have not found the need to produce a "softer" version of BB Original.

All other perceptions aside about these two strings, ALU is definitely the stiffer of the two, that is why for players that like the feel of ALU, but find it too stiff, and don't want to hybrid with Gut , they came out with ALU Fluoro.

pow
07-01-2007, 04:51 PM
I would say that they are pretty close to each other. the major difference is that ALU gives you a little more control and bite (mainly because it's the stiffer of the two strings).

the are also different guages.... BB O is 1.30mm 16g, and ALU is 1.25 16Lg.

BB original to me has a little bit more power than ALU, and to me BB O is definitely softer and more elastic than ALU...although both strings are definitely on the very stiff side, as strings go.

Tension wise, they are very close to each other. BB O holds tension a little better, than ALU (probably because of the thicker guage), but not by much.

Having said all that, I am sure that at least 3 people will completely disagree with me, which only speaks to how subjective string impressions are

Based on my experience with both strings, I agree with how you feel but I guess it may have been awhile since I've used the BB Original to give it an fair evaluation but I definitely share your views from my experiences.

According to this USRSA chart, the BB O is stiffer, not by much, but stiffer.
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200609/200609stringselector.html

WilsonBabolat
07-08-2007, 07:01 PM
What Racket is He Using?

uk_skippy
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM
What Racket is He Using?

Head Instinct pj'd as a Extreme Pro

Regards

Paul

WilsonBabolat
07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
whats pj????

uk_skippy
07-09-2007, 02:08 PM
whats pj????

PJ = paint job. Its when one company paints a (pro's) rqt to look like the latest model. Most commonly pj'd rqt? Head Prestige (classic) 600

regards

Paul

bayernstern
07-10-2007, 02:23 PM
Folks, when you talk about pros that use the Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power are you talking about the "Rough" version or are you talking about the conventional ALU Power (non-Rough) version???

Thanks in advance for any clarification anyone on here may be able to provide...

127mph
07-13-2007, 12:55 PM
ive seen gasquet string BB Original with gut on grass courts.

asknowbuylater
07-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Which version did he use? Liquidmetal??

Bogie
07-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Which version did he use? Liquidmetal??

he did and still does use the liquidmetal instinct tour xl