PDA

View Full Version : Making a Hybrid with What I Got?

Benjamin
10-04-2004, 09:25 AM
As I said in a previous post, my Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L string in my POG mid broke yesterday during a doubles match. Iím looking to try something new in it just for the heck of it. In going through my inventory of strings I currently have:

Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky 17g
Wilson Sensation 16g
Prince Synthetic Gut with duraflex 17g
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L
Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power Rough 16L
Gosen OG Sheep Micro 16g

Can I create a great hybrid combination using any of those strings?

If so, which one for the mains and which one for the crosses?

Iím looking for more playability and feel than I currently get with my all Luxilon string job but I would still like half-way reasonable durability.

Thanks.

Benjamin

tarheelbornjohn
10-04-2004, 11:37 AM
I would pick the ALU rough in the mains and the ALU in the crosses, but I see you want what you call more playability. I take that to mean more power or softer. I thought I saw you were getting 40 sets with ALU. While one can do that before it breaks you are not getting the playability the last 25-30 sets that you got at the begining.

I would just take one step at a time. Use the ALU in the mains and the Wilson or Gosen in the crosses. I would not use the 17g in the crosses as you will have them break long before the mains are lost.

Benjamin
10-04-2004, 12:10 PM
THBJ,

Yes, I'm looking for a somewhat softer feel. The crazy thing about the Luxilon strings I'm using---I string it at 57 and assumed it dropped down to around 52 pouns after a while....I was playing against a pro in doubles yesterday and he said it felt to him that it was down to at least 45 pounds :shock: It's a oversized racquetball racquet. But I still have the ability to swing out and get good power and have the ball remain in. I play very well with it at this tension....but I still need better feel from the strings.

Thanks for the advice.

Benjamin

Benjamin
10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
FYI: I went with Luxilon Big Banger ALU Power 16L mains and Gosen Super Tec Gut 16g crosses.

Benjamin