PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Grass help...

I am mentally tough!
06-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Preparing for a couple big tournaments on artificial grass... and never played on it before ;) to those who have experience on this surface, will I be in danger of slipping around with normal tennis shoes, and should I invest in grass court specific shoes? Also, if I should, where can I find them? If not, what normal tennis shoes would work fine (would barricade IVs or breathe free IIs perform well?) Thanks!

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Tell me something does the artificial grass have sand on it???

If so thats the type of courts I grew up playing on along with hardcourts, they artificial grass tend to be slippery at first but within a couple days you will be fine.

ANYWAY...

Normal tennis shoes will be fine, either brand that you mentioned will be cool. Let me know if that helps.

Mnguyen05
06-27-2007, 02:17 PM
I would be safe and invest in some grass court shoes

Not sure if ANY are sold anywhere, but I know Lacoste makes Grass court shoes (mostly a training shoe rather than a competition shoe)

Barricade IV and BF II would do fine if you can't find any

darkblue
06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
There are different flavors of artificial grass.

The sand-filled artificial ("omni") grass, for the most part, should be ok with
regular shoes. Most ITF pros in Japan play with hard court shoes on omni.

There are carpet-like artificial grass which gets VERY slick with even the slightest of moisture. I actually don't think wearing grass court shoes would
help, since PLASTIC/NYLON is what is slippery.

darkblue
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
I would be safe and invest in some grass court shoes

Not sure if ANY are sold anywhere, but I know Lacoste makes Grass court shoes (mostly a training shoe rather than a competition shoe)

Barricade IV and BF II would do fine if you can't find any

BTW, if you wear grass court shoes on omni (or other artificial surface),
you can prob. kiss the $100 good-bye =)
The rubber on grasscourt shoes are extra soft and porous. It's the equivalent
of wearing snow tires on pavement in hot weather.

Thud and blunder
06-28-2007, 03:59 AM
Don't wear grass shoes. There are shoes specific for omni courts, which have pimpled soles rather than herringbone, but in reality, most people can't tell the difference. Maybe pimples are better if the court is a bit dewy, but I think its probably fairly marginal.

OrangeOne
06-28-2007, 04:06 AM
Herringbone patterns are best for grip, that said, I know many people who play in hardcourt shoes too.

Now: go practice your slice, you're gonna need it! (Synth grass takes slice muuuch better than it takes TS, a good slice is invaluable).

esm
06-28-2007, 06:22 AM
normal tennis shoes are okay for Synth grass courts.
i have been using the BIV for the last few months.

marcus_alsager
06-28-2007, 10:52 AM
Play pn artificial grass alot with my barricade IV's and they are fine. However they could be a bit slippery if it has rained the night before or same day and if they have too much sand on.

Tennis_Nickmo
06-28-2007, 11:08 AM
DON'T use grass court shoes, it will ruin the soles. Use normal tennis shoes, or astro specific, which are usually the same as clay, such as the Feathers.

I am mentally tough!
06-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks for all your help! I'll have to ask if the courts have sand on them. OrangeOne, thanks for the tip - I'll definitely work on that slice. I'll try to get on those courts a few days before the start of the tournament to get the feel of them.

jesus_l11
06-30-2007, 02:52 PM
dude get these cheap shoes look
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageMSFILA-FMTGCW.html
they are nice