PDA

View Full Version : Heavy sweating- Patrick Rafter

wideaxx
06-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello

I sweat more than anyone else I know. I compete in local tourneys and few if anyone is in better shape than I am. I can't seem to last longer(cramping) than 2 hours of playing. I understand that Patrick Rafter had cramping problems too. Does anyone know what he did to combat this?
I drink lots of water all day long. Drink up to 2 gallons of Gatorade in an hour but still can't keep up. Also, I take Ca, Na, Pa, Mg suppliments too. Any suggestions?

Trainer
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
Hello

I sweat more than anyone else I know. I compete in local tourneys and few if anyone is in better shape than I am. I can't seem to last longer(cramping) than 2 hours of playing. I understand that Patrick Rafter had cramping problems too. Does anyone know what he did to combat this?
I drink lots of water all day long. Drink up to 2 gallons of Gatorade in an hour but still can't keep up. Also, I take Ca, Na, Pa, Mg suppliments too. Any suggestions?

Nerves can cause this, or it can simply be how you are, but it can also be an issue with blood sugar or a thyroid problem.

wideaxx
06-27-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks

I know that I get a little more nervous during tourneys but I sweat like that all the time.

Geezer Guy
06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Have you asked your doctor?

armand
06-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Hello

I drink lots of water all day long. Drink up to 2 gallons of Gatorade in an hour but still can't keep up. Also, I take Ca, Na, Pa, Mg suppliments too. Any suggestions?You might laugh, but do you drink a good amount of milk?

wideaxx
06-27-2007, 02:15 PM
I haven't been to a doctor in over 12 years. I haven't been sick in over 6 years and am fairly young, 32. I am going to see a doctor Friday morning. I drink some milk in the morning but not much. Why?

armand
06-28-2007, 04:54 PM
I haven't been to a doctor in over 12 years. I haven't been sick in over 6 years and am fairly young, 32. I am going to see a doctor Friday morning. I drink some milk in the morning but not much. Why?I never had problems with cramping, not playing in soccer tournaments in super hot weather, bball, tennis, biking nothing. I usually drink a good amount of milk each day(at least 2 large glasses).

Then I quit drinking milk for a few months and totally cramped up in a tennis match that was nowhere near pushing my limit. My god I was cramping all over both legs and my left achilles was so bad that it was still giving me trouble for a week after! Then I began drinking milk again and my achilles was totally fine the next day and have since started drinking milk again and no hint of cramping since.

I'm not sure if there's a connection, but I can't find any other answers. Give her a try, just a thought.

couch
06-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Hello

Hey wideaxx, I feel your pain. I, too, am a heavy sweater and go through the same things you do. The sad part is that I know I'm in better shape than just about everyone I play. It's frustrating when you lose so much sweat that there's really nothing you can do to keep up with the loss of potassium, electrolytes, etc. I also live in a very humid part of the country so that doesn't help either. :(

I just try to stay in tip-top shape and do all the normal things (drink water, gatorade, etc.). The one thing I've found to be somewhat helpful with cramping is Potassium Gluconate tablets. If I know I'm going to be playing during an exceptionally hot and humid day I will take 1-2 tablets before I play.

I hate to say it, but we have to be in "even better shape" (comparatively speaking) than normal because we sweat so much.

wideaxx
06-29-2007, 04:37 AM
Thanks for the replies. I am going to the doctor this morning. I am going to try the products that are on the www.crampnomore.com website. They look very interesting. I will keep you posted.

AAAA
06-29-2007, 04:45 AM
I don't think there is any legal non-harmful miracle food or drink you can take to prevent it. Like you I stay in shape and also sweat a lot so I kinda know beforehand I will probably suffer leg craps in long matches on hot days.

I suppose you can slow down between points, drink lots of water, anything to try and prevent overheating.

In the far east with the extremely high humidity the badminton players play in indoor arenas that are effectively sweat boxes. You might want to research what they do nutritionally to help avoid cramps.

wideaxx
06-29-2007, 12:16 PM
I just got back from the doctor. They took all kinds of blood from me. I shall know something next Friday when I go in for follow-up visit.

xtremerunnerars
06-29-2007, 07:57 PM
There was a story on this probably around a year ago on the local news. They traced it to a gland in the body and it was much more active (obviously) in people who sweat much more than others. The old procedure was to make a large number of cuts on that gland to reduce it's function or slow it down or something.

There's a new procedure now, but I don't know exactly what it does. This was a terribly unhelpful post..but if it's any consolation I sweat quite a bit too.

donnygg
07-01-2007, 01:14 AM
Hello

wow, radioactive supplement:D ? sorry, chemist here, can't help it.

Spector
07-01-2007, 02:59 AM
Are you referring to muscle cramps?

If so then it may just be a flexibility issue which can be easily solved. You may also have a muscular imbalance which can also lead to cramping.

As for sweating, it may mearly be a sign that your thermoregulatory system works very well.

esm
07-01-2007, 03:09 AM
lack of salt in your diet and drinking plenty of water can lead to muscle cramping...
what do you usually eat?

forzainter
07-01-2007, 10:11 AM
I just got back from the doctor. They took all kinds of blood from me. I shall know something next Friday when I go in for follow-up visit.

you have more than 1 kind of blood? and you drink 2 galleons of gatorade in an hour? that cant be good

wideaxx
07-01-2007, 01:26 PM
Hey! I took a small ziplock bag of mini prezels to the court with me and on every changover I ate 2. I hit in very humit weather(just after a rain) and no cramps. My muscles are twitching a little but not as much. I can tell it helped. I went through 3 double wristbands and 2 singles today, which is normal for me in 2 hours of hitting. I might be on the right track!

Forehand Forever
07-01-2007, 01:48 PM
I thought that orange juice was for cramps. I usually drink a couple glasses of milk a day because I don't like soda. I only get cramps once in a while actually.

esm
07-01-2007, 08:28 PM
I thought that orange juice was for cramps. I usually drink a couple glasses of milk a day because I don't like soda. I only get cramps once in a while actually.

i thought it was banana....

EricW
07-01-2007, 08:33 PM
i thought it was banana....

You are correct, bananas have potassium which is supposed to help you prevent/stop cramps.

welcome2petrkordaland
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
i'm a sweater too, but unless i play for like 4 or more hours of singles, i don't cramp usually. before such physical activity, though, i load up on both potassium and sodium by eating bananas, keewee, strawberries for potassium and drinking vegetable juice for its high sodium content. make sure you start loading up a day before you play to let the stuff get into your system! don't forget that to balance your electrolytes, you need both potass. and sodium plus plenty of water.

as far as dealing with sweat itself, i keep a towel handy and now use rosin or even baby powder to put on my hands and/or grip, to prevent slipping. after all, every grip slip is an unforced error usually, at least for me.

wideaxx
07-06-2007, 07:07 AM
I just got back from the doctor for my follow up visit. He found nothing wrong with my bloodwork. I told him that I added pretzels to my diet during play and seem to help. He said to continue to eat them.
Any other suggestions from you all?

10sfreak
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
I use salt tablets. I used to get awful cramps when playing tennis/football, but taking salt tablets (I use ThermoTabs from the Kroger pharmacy) has all but eliminated my cramping issues.

The Gorilla
07-09-2007, 06:02 PM
i'm a sweater too, but unless i play for like 4 or more hours of singles, i don't cramp usually. before such physical activity, though, i load up on both potassium and sodium by eating bananas, keewee, strawberries for potassium and drinking vegetable juice for its high sodium content. make sure you start loading up a day before you play to let the stuff get into your system! don't forget that to balance your electrolytes, you need both potass. and sodium plus plenty of water.

as far as dealing with sweat itself, i keep a towel handy and now use rosin or even baby powder to put on my hands and/or grip, to prevent slipping. after all, every grip slip is an unforced error usually, at least for me.

you want to lower your sodium level's if you're low on water:

Although the system for maintaining optimal salt and water balance in the body is a complex one, one of the primary ways in which the human body keeps track of loss of body water is that osmoreceptors in the hypothalamus sense a balance of sodium and water concentration in extracellular fluids. Relative loss of body water will cause sodium concentration to rise higher than normal, a condition known as hypernatremia. This ordinarily results in thirst. Conversely, an excess of body water caused by drinking will result in too little sodium in the blood (hyponatremia), a condition which is again sensed by the hypothalamus, causing a decrease in vasopressin hormone secretion from the posterior pituitary, and a consequent loss of water in the urine, which acts to restore blood sodium concentrations to normal.

Severely dehydrated persons, such as people rescued from ocean or desert survival situations, usually have very high blood sodium concentrations. These must be very carefully and slowly returned to normal, since too-rapid correction of hypernatremia may result in brain damage from cellular swelling, as water moves suddenly into cells with high osmolar content.

wideaxx
07-10-2007, 08:10 AM
I played Saturday and it was the hottest day and very humid of the year. I played just under 2 hours while consuming pretzels and I still cramped up. I ordered a product from the website: www.crampnomore.com and should have it today. If this doesn't work then I am going to have to give up tennis, at least while it is hot.

tennis-n-sc
07-10-2007, 09:06 AM
There are many different causes for cramps. I am prone to cramping, as is my son, daughter, mother, grandmother, etc. Something in the genes. But, I think dehydration is the most common cause. Drinking lots of water and other liquids the day and night before always helps me. For me, OJ has too much acid and bananas are not that helpful. Once you begin to cramp, nothing is gonna give instant relief. At least that's been my experience.

wideaxx
07-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Just following up on this thread from a few weeks ago. I tried the product from Crampnomore.com but it didn't work for me. I body didn't like it either if you know what I mean! But, after consulting with my doctor I started taking Themotabs tablets at EVERY changeover. Plus I take a shot of Soy sause(has 920 mg of sodium) before and after I play. No more cramps! I am monitoring my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't rise, so far so good. I'm sure everyone is different but it did cure me. I hope this helps others that have the same problem as I do.

The Gorilla
07-29-2007, 07:25 PM
I played Saturday and it was the hottest day and very humid of the year. I played just under 2 hours while consuming pretzels and I still cramped up. I ordered a product from the website: www.crampnomore.com and should have it today. If this doesn't work then I am going to have to give up tennis, at least while it is hot.

you don't want to eat aslt you idiot ;)

TonLars
07-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Well Ive got to get on this topic and im sorry to steal the thread at all but I have what I consider to be a serious problem with my tennis concerning playing in the heat. I do not have issues with cramping like this poster, but rather I will very often not feel very good or sick when it is very hot and/or humid out. I believe it is only heat as well because when Im playing inside or in normal temperatures Ive really never had a problem like this when theres alot of heat. I do sweat a ton and people that know me would say I sweat more than anyone else. I consider myself to be exceptionally strong, fast and usually more so than anyone I play, but I suffer in the heat. I often am feeling sick to my stomach, light headed, and my legs feel extremely fatigued in the quads and cavs. I will sometimes feel like im going to throw up, but I never have actually. Over the last few years Ive tried to do alot of things to help it, namely wearing all white and using sunscreen, drinking alot of water/gatorade/accelerade/hydromax and eating energy bars and gel packs, wearing a hat, but I have trouble with this so much that Im literally suffering out there which makes it extremely difficult to play my best and win against very good players. Im not able to move as fast and intensely like I would if I was feeling better.

Ive lost a number of matches that at least some would have been victories due to getting what Id call heat sick/fatigued. If I could figure out what the exact problem is and how to combat it, Id be able to get so much further. I dont know if I simply need to do better and more of what Im already doing, or if I need to do more stamina and endurance training, or if I have some sort of physical disability I dont know about, or if there is one specific thing I am missing that I could eat or drink or whatever to fix it? Help is greatly appreciated and Id be forever in debt to the answers.

ssblue
07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Just following up on this thread from a few weeks ago. I tried the product from Crampnomore.com but it didn't work for me. I body didn't like it either if you know what I mean! But, after consulting with my doctor I started taking Themotabs tablets at EVERY changeover. Plus I take a shot of Soy sause(has 920 mg of sodium) before and after I play. No more cramps! I am monitoring my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't rise, so far so good. I'm sure everyone is different but it did cure me. I hope this helps others that have the same problem as I do.

I too am a heavy sweater. I play in the humid, Texas heat and I'm literally drenched by the middle of the match. I have to towel off after every point or else there'll be a puddle waiting for my opponent at the base line when we switch sides. At some point, I can't carry the second ball in my pocket because my shorts are so soaked, it gets the ball all wet! But, despite all that, I can play for hours without cramping. I've never experienced significant cramping after a match and I only bring with me a big jug of water, no gatorade, no milk, occasionally a banana if I know it's going to be a long match but nothing else. I eat asian food pretty much on a daily basis though which includes soy sauce and kimchee, two foods high in sodium. I don't know...there could be a correlation. Just wanted to share...

lakis92
07-30-2007, 12:04 PM
It might not be what you eat!!!!!!!!! Have you ever used a heart-rate monitor while playing. If you keep playing anaerobic tennis >160pulses/minute(that means that your body is producing a lot of lactic acid) for too long that will give you cramps. Just give it a try....

RedWeb
07-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I'm serious when I say this... try chocolate milk after each match. Its an old timer's trick and it really works. One of those small bottles you can get at 7/11. A second option is pickle juice that also works wonders but I like too drink it less.

jamesdylangoldstein
07-30-2007, 04:09 PM
You may want to consider glycerol. It is what many elite endurance athletes use in hot temperatures. It's not a steriod or banned by any body.

jamesdylangoldstein
07-30-2007, 04:11 PM
Here's a supplier, btw: http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD.ID=4042&OMI=10130,10047&AMI=10130

onehandbh
07-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Interesting topic. Probably not the reason most people are suffering
from playing in the heat, but for me it was an overactive thyroid
that was causing the following symptoms:

1) heat intolerance.
2) poor absorption of minerals & nutrients
3) poor endurance
4) excessive sweating during sports & other activities.

Once my thyroid got back to normal, all four of the above disappeared
to a large degree.

For most people, you probably want to get this checked out -- unless
you make your living as a runway model.

One way to tell is if your resting heartrate is higher than usual.
Mine's normally like 46-53, depending on how in shape I am in.
With an overactive thyroid it started creaping up towards 60 and
above.

Geezer Guy
07-31-2007, 06:19 AM
... But, after consulting with my doctor I started taking Themotabs tablets at EVERY changeover. Plus I take a shot of Soy sause(has 920 mg of sodium) before and after I play. No more cramps! I am monitoring my blood pressure to make sure it doesn't rise, so far so good. ...

Every changover? So you're taking 10 - 15 salt tablets in an average 2 or 3-set match? That's a lot of salt tablets! Does the Thermotab have a maximum daily dosage on the container?

Are you sure your Dr. knows how often change-overs occur in tennis? I mean no offense. I've taken salt tablets in the past. I'm not afraid of them - in moderation. But that's a LOT of salt tablets (especially if you play frequently).

wideaxx
07-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Yes, I take one per changeover. In fact, I take two if I have really long games. I have tried everything and it is the only thing that helps me. My doctor told me to monitor my blood pressure to make sure it isn't affecting it. I bought a b/p monitor and it is the same, in the norm. So, I am burning all that sodium when I play. I don't consume much sodium during the day. So, it's not going to change my bloodpressure.

Geezer Guy
07-31-2007, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the follow-up posts. I've cramped in the past also (usually only when playing multiple matches in a day), so I'll give that a try next time as well.

I already take magnesium, pottassium, and something else before big weekend tournaments, so adding a sodium pill to the cocktail will be no big deal.