PDA

View Full Version : Does such a teaching device exist ?

atatu
03-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Hello, I'm trying to teach someone to keep her arm in close to her body when hitting a forehand voley. This student has a tendency to let her elbow float way out when volleying. It occurred to me that an elatic strap that fits around the shoulders and which would inhibit excessive movement would help. I've seen similar teaching devices for other sports like Golf. Does anyone know if such a teaching devices exists ? Thanks.

brijoel
03-15-2004, 02:40 PM
lol, we used to just use bungee chords connected.
also, useful to teach them to keep the arm held in for forehands as well.

Phil
03-15-2004, 05:42 PM
Another good teaching method is to have the student stand the corner-on a court, it would be where the fences intersect-and toss her balls. She can't take a backswing without hitting the fence/wall-she will be forced to punch the ball. I'm not a big fan of using straps, belts, etc. Takes too much time and just doesn't ape reality.

Verbal_Kint
03-16-2004, 04:02 AM
You could put a tennisball near her armpit. If it falls down, she's too far out.

Marnix

Bungalo Bill
03-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Yes, there is such a device.

You can use a bungi cord (as suggested above) or a product called the Power Groove.

I am sure you remember these drills but just in case, here are some extras to help you and your student:

Standing in a gate: Having the player stand in a gate to practice volleys works equally well for colley technique becuase the fence on each side of your student will prevent them from taking an excessive backswing.

Make a U: Making a U shape with their arm from racquet to shoulder will also provent them from allowing their arm to get to far away from the body.

Preventing the laid back wrist: When a player volleys a ball with a laid back wrist (usually using a continental grip) the brain will automatically adjust the racquet face angle by bringing the elbow up. This also causes the elbow to move away from the body.