PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut/ ALU Power Rough tension?

steebo
03-15-2004, 02:54 PM
Tomorrow I am going to string my Diablo mid+ with 16ga nat gut mains and 16 ga ALU Power Rough crosses. I usually use Forten Aramid Gear, at mid range, but it felt very dead in this racquet. I am looking for that cupping feeling. Any suggestions on tension, especially the crosses will be appreciated. By the way, I hit with a lot of topspin off both sides.
Thanks.

AJP
03-15-2004, 08:06 PM
You should put the alu in the mains and the nat. gut in the crosses. I have alu mains and nat. gut crosses in one of my rackets. I usually string at 65# in my hps 6.1 (with rip control). I tried 64 with this hybrid. It has great feel. I do enjoy the cupping feeling of the natural gut in the crosses, but it is too powerful. I should have gone up to 66 or 67. So I just use this racket for teaching - use my old string set up for tournament play. When I break this hybrid I'll try 67. If the control comes back and the feel stays as good then I may switch.

Natual gut in the main and bb alu in the crosses gives you the worst of both worlds - too much power from the mains and terible duribility from the mains moving across a textured poly cross. :(

NoBadMojo
03-15-2004, 08:28 PM
well tell that to federer..thats what he uses..he seems to do ok w. gut mains and alu crosses. would suggest you make the crosses 3-4 pounds lower than the mains if using poly x's. ed

jings
03-15-2004, 09:36 PM
I can assure you that gut mains / alu rough crosses doesn't move - not one itty bitty little bit, the thing is locked down tighter than .. er well something that really doesn't want to move a lot. That is one of the big reasons Federer uses this set up. I switched to gut main / alu rough cross about 2 months ago from all gut and all I can say to anyone who hasn't tried it is er.. well to try it.
Its in a Tour 90 and I've been demoing two tensions 62mains 58 crosses and 60 mains and 56 crosses. As the two jobs have bedded in I'm begining to prefer the 60/56, just a little more give and softness to the overall feel. I'm hitting about 6-7 hours a week and hit flat and with spin - I'm not a string breaker per se, but I don't see durability issues with this. Only one string saver needed so far after a really nasty shanked top spin forehand ... not pretty.

T.J. Planas
03-18-2004, 09:24 PM
I've been using gut mains and and luxilon crosses in a Prostaff 6.1 Classic. I've been using this set up for about 5 months now and I love it. If you know the 6.1, then you know it eats strings. I used to get about a set and a half out of a fresh syn. gut 16 job, but now I'm getting like 4 or 5 matches worth of play out of the gut/lux hybrid. Now I know many prefer Lux. BB Alu 16, but I have been using the BB ACE 18 in my crosses at 57 and Bow Brand 16 in the mains at 63. Both strings hold tension fairly well so that I don't have cut them for about 3 or 4 weeks. I tried the combo with the lux on the mains and the gut on the crosses, but the gut frayed quickly and the mains broke with in like 2 sets. The way to go is with the lux in the crosses. This set up DOES NOT MOVE! I get very little fraying and hardly any notching. The hybrid costs about $15 in string per racquet but is well worth it for its playing and durability characteristics. Good Luck.

@wright
03-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Putting gut in crosses and alu power in mains is like taking money and flushing it down the toilet, don't do that to yourself!

steebo
03-19-2004, 04:32 AM
Thanks everyone. tried gut mains at 63lbs and lux at 59lbs crosses, and really like it. Getting great spin and feels comfortable on my elbow. If durability is good, I'll stick with this combo.

touchytennis
03-20-2004, 01:09 AM
i was wondering, will u get the same effect as natural gut in mains, and alu power rough in crosses, using wilson nxt tour 16 in mains with alu power rough in mains. hopefully this will become a more economical solution

edge
03-20-2004, 08:17 AM
I was wondering the same thing with NXT tour and ALU, would you still use NXT in the mains and ALU in the crosses?

edge
03-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Well?

kreative
03-21-2004, 12:07 AM
lack of response may be b/c no one has tried it yet.