PDA

View Full Version : Is it the racquet or is it the strings?

Golden Retriever
10-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Would you say the strings or the racquet makes a bigger difference in terms of playability? Lets say you strung your favorite racquet with your least favorite strings and your least favorite racquet with your favorite strings (assuming both the strings and the racquets are structurally sound), which would play better for you?

David Pavlich
10-04-2004, 07:02 PM
It's the frame. It is what you look at for all of the critical dimensions: weight, length, head size, string pattern, flex, etc. The string you choose will make the frame play a little stiffer or a little softer, but strings don't change the critical dimensions. Sure, it adds weight, but you have to have that weight anyway...can't play without strings..........well, I hit the frame enough that I might be able to get away with it!?

David

ragnaROK
10-04-2004, 09:14 PM
You forgot the obvious.... the string dampener of course!

Kaptain Karl
10-04-2004, 09:29 PM
I'll bite....

Since just this morning I finally broke some stinko strings, I'll say the latter. I'd rather have to play junk strings in my dependable frame.

- KK

fastdunn
10-05-2004, 12:13 PM
String to frame is like the tire to the automobile.

It's hard to define "playability" accurately.

String gives more lasting impression to the "feel" of impact.
String vibrates up to 1 - 2 second while frames vibrates in the
order of micro-seconds....

kreative
10-05-2004, 01:13 PM
choosing from the 2, i'd have to go with fave racquet w/ crappiest strings > fave strings and crappy racquet

Tennis Guy
10-05-2004, 01:19 PM
String to frame is like the tire to the automobile.

It's hard to define "playability" accurately.

String gives more lasting impression to the "feel" of impact.
String vibrates up to 1 - 2 second while frames vibrates in the
order of micro-seconds....
I agree, but I think frame makes more of a difference, so I would take my favorite frame with the bad strings.

Kick Serve
10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah, I have to go with everyone else on this one. Not to downplay the importance of the right string and tension, but the racquet definitely takes top priority.

WYK
10-09-2004, 08:51 AM
No matter what sort of tires you put on a Dodge Cummins Diesel 4X4 1 ton pick-up truck, it won't outhandle or out accellerate a Ferrari with even the cheapest tires that will fit on it's rims, or perhaps even with no tires at all...

WYK

couch
10-09-2004, 07:02 PM
WYK,

You're comparing apples with oranges though.

WYK
10-09-2004, 07:41 PM
"You're comparing apples with oranges though."

If that's how you feel about racquets, then I would assume you agree it is only the strings that matter?

WYK

Steve Huff
10-09-2004, 09:29 PM
As a stringer, I'd love to be able to say it was the strings, but I think it's the racket too. I could play with a 5g or 15g PSE with nylon, but I couldn't play a Triad 2 with natural gut.