PDA

View Full Version : elbow problems wit babolat pc

eric8297
10-04-2004, 07:29 PM
I need some advice. I have been using a babolat pc for a few weeks. I use to use a pd+, for awhile. Latley i have violent pain in my elbow, but it only shows up when i serve. I can hit forehands and two handers all day witn no pain. I love this stick for ground strokes compared to the pd +. Is there any way to lessen this pain without having to give up this stick?

Thanks,
Eric

paulfreda
10-07-2004, 11:08 PM
You could try adding lead tape to give it more
weight to absorb the energy.
You could also lower the string tension to
around 45-50 pounds.
This is what solved my TE problem.

That Babolat racquet is nice but after a few minutes
hitting with it, my arm hurts too.

Marius_Hancu
10-30-2004, 04:51 AM
I'd __give up__ any stick that causes me pain. Those Babolats are very stiff.

I had huge problems with Wilson 6.1, but not with Wilson 6.0, or Wilson Tour 90. Thus there's variation even for the same company.

Use heavier racquets, reduce tension and do strength work on your arms and shoulders. Try lead tape (up to 20-30g), but that would change balance of the racquet.

skittles
11-12-2004, 11:16 PM
pure control? well thats already a pretty heavy racket to begin with... well mine is the original so its pretty heavy took me a couple of weeks to get used to it... well use ice and heat or.. you can drug yourself like i did for like 7 months with pain killers. But dont worry pure drive and control team greatly differ in terms of stiffness i think the control team is harder to get used to becuase of the weight and the amount of power you have to generate...

Marius_Hancu
11-13-2004, 02:49 AM
pure control? well thats already a pretty heavy racket to begin with... well mine is the original so its pretty heavy took me a couple of weeks to get used to it... well use ice and heat or.. you can drug yourself like i did for like 7 months with pain killers. But dont worry pure drive and control team greatly differ in terms of stiffness i think the control team is harder to get used to becuase of the weight and the amount of power you have to generate...

Babolat Pure Control Team Std. MP
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPCTS.html
Strung Weight: 11.6oz / 329g
Stiffness: 65

Babolat Pure Drive Team Plus
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPDP.html
Strung Weight: 11.1oz / 315
Stiffness: 70

Thus you're right, pd+ is stiffer and lighter.

However, even the pc is 1oz lighter than my Wilsons (6.0 and 6.1, notwithstanding the lead I am applying), thus everything is relative in terms of weight.

It's possible that the original poster has problems because of racket weight, but I would check other racquets, both heavier and lighter, from other manufacturers.

I would not recommend playing through pain. I'd suggest trying other racquets and especially doing arm flexibility and strengthening exercises, including those described in the Tennis Elbow section in my posting here:

Great Fitness Sites
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=33800

Marius_Hancu
02-14-2005, 08:05 PM
For those of you loving Babolats, another caveat: check the reports by Ted, in this thread:

Has anyone tried shock wave therapy for tennis elbow?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=41122

He got TE while playing with them and had to go through surgery.

Take care of yourselves, people. Those rackets are too stiff.

forehander
02-28-2005, 08:47 AM
My son was also having elbow problems with the Babolat PC. He switched to the Yonex RDX500 MP and the problems went away. Sometimes you have to go with a different stick.

ffrpg
02-28-2005, 09:01 AM
I had the same problems (different racquet though). I gave up my Wilson Tour 90 because I was getting elbow problems, mainly on my serves. It turns out my technique just sucked. Have a teaching pro or coach look at your serve technique.

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2005, 11:34 AM
My son was also having elbow problems with the Babolat PC. He switched to the Yonex RDX500 MP and the problems went away. Sometimes you have to go with a different stick.

Well, RDX500 has a stiffness of only 60. This is much more recommended than 70 ...

Marius_Hancu
02-28-2005, 11:36 AM
I had the same problems (different racquet though). I gave up my Wilson Tour 90 because I was getting elbow problems, mainly on my serves. It turns out my technique just sucked. Have a teaching pro or coach look at your serve technique.
That's important too. And make sure the pro/coach is not sponsored by the company which produced the racket you're currently having problems with ...

ffrpg
02-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Oh, tension is a big thing as well. Try reducing tension and using softer strings. I use to string my Wilson Tour 90 at 66lbs. Once I found out I could still control the ball at 56lbs, that made things a lot better for my elbow.

Brad Bartlett
03-11-2005, 09:00 AM
51 year old, 4.5 player, WAS using pure drive + and switched to the Pure Control + MP. Walla, arm problem gone.

Marius_Hancu
03-11-2005, 09:16 AM
51 year old, 4.5 player, WAS using pure drive + and switched to the Pure Control + MP. Walla, arm problem gone.

It was certainly smart for you to switch to a heavier racket. However, you're still using one which is too stiff (stiffness 70) for many people. The fact that you're currently lucky doesn't mean too much. The original poster had problems with PC. See advice by others:

Babolat Pure Control: Better for tennis elbow than PD?
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=26124