PDA

View Full Version : Sampras "O" dampener's effect on strings?

tomato123
10-04-2004, 10:10 PM
I just recently purchased a Sampras "O" dampener, and I noticed that it was a little more on the wider side compared to the Prince "P" dampener I've used in the past, and it significantly pulled at the strings that it went in between, and the strings significantly "bend" at the area that it is in. I'm wondering if that is something that could end up being unhealthy for the racquet in any way, and if it is going to affect the string's tension?

topspin
10-04-2004, 10:33 PM
No it's fine, don't worry about it. I find it's the best vibration dampener on the market. If you don't want to lose any, place a tie wrap catching the O and either side main or that last cross.

Deuce
10-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Cable grommets do the same job for much less money, and are more widely available (electronics department of hardware stores).

silent bob
10-04-2004, 11:03 PM
The pacific O-ring is a little better in my opinion. It is softer rubber, so it does not push the strings out so much, but more importantly, I like the way it dampens more than the "plastic" Sampras, which seems harsh by comparison. The downside is that the Pacific will pop out more and roll and roll and roll - very easy to lose, but they're cheap so . . .

LoveThisGame
10-05-2004, 05:56 AM
I once bought a supply of a type of vibration dampener that spread the two main strings *quite a bit*. I put one in my racquet. The first time I played with it, I thought that the strings had gone dead and I was planning to re-string. But first I changed to another type dampener and the racquet played just fine.

Steve Huff
10-05-2004, 12:19 PM
The cable grommets that Deuce spoke of also come in smaller sizes.

topspin
10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
I've tried the cable grommets and don't really care for them. They are significantly thinner than the Sampras O and do not do as good a job at reducing vibrations. The O that you used to get with the Luxilon strings is also sub-par in my opinion. The Pacific O sounds good, so try a few and stick with what you like best.

gts072
10-05-2004, 02:29 PM
I tried the Sampras "O" yesterday and didn't like the harsh feel of of it. Plus it made the string bed tighter and dead feeling. Not very forgiving and I can't really feel the ball at all.

blueskaterboy
10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
come on its not that expensive does it really matter how much it costs.

i like dampeners because it gets rid of that "PING!! PING!" sound. and its a little easier to feel what you've done without all the vibrations.

really though it doesnt matter which one you use. you dont even need one really but it does give you feedback in terms of where and how your hitting the ball.

topspin
10-05-2004, 08:33 PM
I find the sampras O to be the best out of the ones I've tried. It dampens all the excess vibrations and allows just enough of the vibrations that you do want to flow through so you can still get a good feel for the ball. The one you like best will depend on your racquet, strings, technique, ball type and so on. Try them and stick with what you like best. What works for you will not necessarily work for someone else.

Racquet Masetro
10-06-2004, 12:04 AM
The vibration you speak of is simply the vibration of the string bed, the rubber 0 basically just muffles the the sound/vibration of the string. A rubber band tied around the center 2 mains (outside the string pattern) basically does the same and you end up with a couple of dollars in your pocket. I can't stand it when salesman try to sell it as a cure for tennis elbow or wrist and shoulder problem.