PDA

View Full Version : greatest motion on the serve

fgbowen33
06-28-2007, 11:45 PM
w/out a doubt Roscoe Tanner

ericsson
06-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Well, my vote goes to pete and boris but one thing is for sure, federer is not the winner here...

galain
06-29-2007, 03:52 AM
Noah.
Yannick Noah.
Yannick Noah.
Should I say it again...?
Noah. Best ever serve motion. Ever. Made Stich look like Stephen Hawking.

andreh
06-29-2007, 04:08 AM
I think Edberg had the most gracious and beautiful motion, but perhaps not the most effective.

lilxjohnyy
06-29-2007, 04:55 AM
i like any serve that looks like that stance at the top of a trophy for tennis

chess9
06-29-2007, 05:07 AM
For the pre-foot release era, Pancho Gonzales.

Sampras after.

-R

alkibiades
06-29-2007, 05:41 AM
Noah.
Yannick Noah.
Yannick Noah.

You are correct -- it's perfect. I think Noah's service motion is overlooked because while he had an excellent serve, it never was quite the weapon of Becker's, Sampras', Rusedski's, etc. But Noah had PERFECT form, and he also had flawless tempo and rhythm, devoid of hitches or pauses. And when he was hot it was effective too. I remember he served Lendl off the court on clay at Forest Hills in 1986 or 1987 in the semis of a now-defunct tournament, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

Johnny Mac's serve in 1983 and especially 1984, while unorthodox, had the best rhythm I have ever seen -- no hitch at all, just a smooth building of speed to impact. His tempo altered over the years; I think if he had continued to serve the same way his serve could have remained more of a weapon later in his career. If you can get past his unorthodox stance, in 1984 his was also just about perfect. But Noah wins the prize.

Rabbit
06-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Noah.
Yannick Noah.
Yannick Noah.

Dude, way harsh.

Stich gets my vote. Noah's was good, but Stich's was better IMO.

chaognosis
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
Yes, Gonzales had one of the best motions. Everything was so fluid and consistent - I have always admired his low ball toss. If I had a time machine, the serve I would really want to see is that of Ellsworth Vines. I have only seen video clips (there's one online at histoiredutennis.com), but it is easy to appreciate the smoothness and power of his swing.

stormholloway
06-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Well, my vote goes to pete and boris but one thing is for sure, federer is not the winner here...

Why not? I think he has a beautiful motion. Great disguise and superb accuracy.

I like Henman's a lot, though I can't pick just one.

Andres
06-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I'd like to say Krajicek and Ivanisevic. Not easy to mimic, but great rhytm, great timing, fluid, efortless, and absolute bombs ;)

06-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Sampras, Kraijcek, Stich

The Gorilla
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I think safin also has a great motion

stormholloway
06-29-2007, 09:57 AM

In fact, Federer has THE perfect trophy position for his serve. I think there's a stronge case for him.

superstition
06-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Bill Tilden

theace21
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Stan Smith, smooth and effortless...

galain
06-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Dude, way harsh.

Ha! Okay - perhaps I'll allow you that Stich was a little smoother than that, but c'mon mate - Noah vs Stich? Meh....

Nastase
06-29-2007, 05:24 PM
stich IMO had the sweetest motion, effortless power...

Rabbit
06-29-2007, 06:20 PM
Ha! Okay - perhaps I'll allow you that Stich was a little smoother than that, but c'mon mate - Noah vs Stich? Meh....

Well, Noah had a certain French flair in his service motion and was generally artistic

But, Stich had the German precision and smooth acceleration through the whole motion producing pace, spin, and placment with a seemingly effortless motion

It was like a Renault versus a Porsche...

By the way, I haven't forgotten that I still owe you some grits...

Solat
06-29-2007, 08:14 PM
stich it to me

Gundam
06-30-2007, 05:45 AM
Somehow I don't really like Stich's serve motion (simple, fluid, classic looking)..I like Krajicek's Powerful motion.

aimr75
06-30-2007, 07:28 AM
love the elegance of roddicks serve ;)

but seriously.. sampras, safin get my vote

arthurs has a very nice serve too
________
Uhwh Warehouse (http://uhwh.com/)

iamke55
06-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Roddick's because his motion hits 155 mph. But if you're asking for aesthetically pleasing, Hewitt and Sampras.

FiveO
06-30-2007, 09:35 AM
My favorites for aesthetics and function, that I've seen play in person:

Pancho Gonzalez
Stan Smith
Vijay Amritraj
John Alexander
Michael Stich
Pete Sampras
Richard Krajicek
Wayne Arthurs
Roger Federer

ACE of Hearts
06-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Pistol Pete, just loved his motion.Roger's motion doesnt have much movement.

stormholloway
06-30-2007, 12:42 PM
Anyone have a good clip of the Stich serve? I've been watching him vs. Sampras on youtube but I'd like to see it more clearly.

Kobble
06-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Laver was nice, too.

Jonny S&V
06-30-2007, 03:18 PM
I said this in another best service motion thread that all the Croats have the best service motions. Almost all of them have the lower ball toss and quick motion (especially Ljubicic and Ivanisevic). The best serve out there was Ivanisevic, but the best looking serve defenitly is Safin, absolute perfect form for a pin-point serve. The best platform has to go to Sampras though.

The Gorilla
06-30-2007, 04:29 PM
davydenko too

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
I will have to go with Pistol Pete and Richard Krajicek.

prostaff18
06-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Rafter's serve is awesome? It may not be very good to use, but it is so smooth. Going by looks his serve, to me, looks the best. I also like to watch Edberg serve. But Rafter gets my vote.

I have only seen Big Bill serve one time on an old video so I canít say anything about his serve. But I have herd that it was awesome. Is anyone old enough to remember seeing his serve in person? My neighbor says that his serve was huge. He says even for todayís standards. My neighbor is also like 100 years old so his memory may be a little off.

fastdunn
07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Sampras, Stich and Krajicek.

Federer's, good simpler motion for us, mere mortals, to try emulating.

Defcon
07-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Stich - the most deceptive. Its so easy and fluid you think you can get the same power, I swear Stich did black magic.

Sampras - you know by looking it has power and grace and its not possible for mere mortals to try and duplicate.

Fed - like the rest of his game, perfect biomechanics that ARE possible for any decent player to emulate and learn from. The difference is we can only do 1/1000 times.

Rafter - how to destroy your shoulder and get massive kick.

z-money
07-02-2007, 01:47 PM

i agree it looks cool

z-money
07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
i also love philippoussis' serve its pretty sweet

suwanee4712
07-02-2007, 09:34 PM
Somehow I don't really like Stich's serve motion (simple, fluid, classic looking)..I like Krajicek's Powerful motion.

Those are the exact reasons why I like Stich's the best. You want it to be simple and fluid. That makes for less chance for something to go wrong. He was a great server when he was on a roll.

I also like Pete's a lot. The body torque he got made for some great power with a classical motion and grip. Stan Smith's was wonderful too. And whatever stroke Ramesh Krishnan tried to hit was so silky smooth. When good, his serve wasn't necessarily powerful, but usually well placed and was hard to read for his opponents.

Mick
07-02-2007, 09:46 PM
do you guys like the service motion where the ball toss arm and the racquet arm both go up at the same time or the service motion where the ball toss arm would go up first ?

I prefer the one where both arms would go up at the same time but I noticed that quite a few players would serve the other way (for example Nicole Vaidisova)

Andres
07-03-2007, 05:54 AM
I prefer the tossing arm-then-hitting-arm motion better, but I got used to the both-arms-at-the-same-time, thanks to Pat Rafter :D

mavsman149
07-03-2007, 05:59 AM
I like Henmans, Rafters, Safins, and Kuertens

stormholloway
07-03-2007, 09:25 AM
I'm still in search of a good motion. I practiced serves last week with my old motion and my shoulder hurts. It's the way I'm raising the racquet. It's kind of like Edberg. I'm looking to get a sort of Rusedski/Stich looking motion where the racquet drops straight down, back and up.

jmsx521
07-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Greatest and most fluid serve-motion? It has to be Sergi Bruguera!

...Just kidding.

vive le beau jeu !
07-03-2007, 11:19 AM
i'll stick with my old list ! ;)
Pete Sampras
Stefan Edberg
Goran Ivanisevic
Boris Becker
John McEnroe
Pat Rafter
Roger Federer
Mark Philippoussis
Yannick Noah
Greg Rusedski
Joachim Johansson
Marcos Baghdatis

don't know if they had the most efficient technique... i think so but anyway i found their serves "esthetical" !
some players, you enjoy their aces, find them exciting :D ... other players...... schmbof...... :-|

when i was a kid i, i was receving the BBC in brittany... when there was sunny weather above the Channel ! there was often "snow" on the screen (i don't know how you say that in english ;) ) but it was easy to recognize some players with their characteristic serving gestures... kinda "charismatic serve" ?!

Dark Victory
07-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Agreed.

I often rewatch Sampras vs Krajicek at Wimbledon and that shotgun service motion never fails to awe me. The low ball toss coupled with how quickly (and aesthetically) he whacks the ball does it for me.

JW10S
07-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Pancho Gonzalez

NLBwell
07-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Me. At least before I tore my elbow (on a forehand, not a serve).

superstition
07-04-2007, 02:53 PM
Roddick's because his motion hits 155 mph.
Give Roddick a woodie with the old-style tight string pattern and let's see how many aces he'll hit with his abbreviated motion.

I think someone like Tilden deserves credit for producing a monster serve with a low power wood racquet. This was also back when tennis balls had less bounce. Martina even noted that the balls bounce higher than they did during her early career. More spring in the ball means a faster serve. I've also read that tennis balls were reduced in size to save money, which increases serve speed.

Tilden's "cannonball" serve was said to have hit 150, but there were no machines to measure that. I've seen photos of his service motion and it is much more impressive than a "modern" serve like Roddick's, which uses a super-powered racquet to generate speed.

superstition
07-04-2007, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that Rafter's serve is awesome?

Everything about Rafter's game is second rate when compared to Sampras'.

hoosierbr
07-04-2007, 03:07 PM
My favorites in no particular order:

Krajicek
Sampras
Edberg
Stich
Rafter
Rusedski
Arthurs
Henman
Kafelnikov
Thomas Johansson

I modeled my own serve after Ivan Lendl. Like Stich, Lendl had a smooth, effortless motion. Didn't have as powerful a serve as Michael but still pretty darn good.

As for the above poster who said Rafter's game was second-rate to Sampras', I'll take Rafter's volleys any day. So would a lot of other people.

stormholloway
07-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Courier's reminds me of Lendl's, though more herky jerky.

After looking at it for a while, I really like Stich's smooth motion.

Now, who has some good clips of it?

hoosierbr
07-04-2007, 03:52 PM
Some good clips of Stich's serve in the highlights section of the Roland Garros website (1996). Also good clips from last year's US Open site in the classic matches section (1994 against Agassi). Still up so hurry!

Pete Semper
07-04-2007, 07:15 PM
I think its between Edberg and Stich. I pick Edberg even if its not the most efficient (for the first serve)...

War, Safin!
07-05-2007, 06:31 AM
It's bad to start with - slight shuffling of both feet, then it's almost perfect at height of ball-toss (like a Mr Olympia pose) - then falls away again at point of impact.

He does make serving bombs look rather easy though.

7/10.

Morrissey
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
w/out a doubt Roscoe Tanner

Without a doubt in my mind Richard Krajicek. Silky smooth and powerful. Stich had a nice motion too.

156MPHserve
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I like Roddick's. It just looks so agressive.

Safin is next for me. Smooooooth.

avmoghe
07-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Everything about Rafter's game is second rate when compared to Sampras'.

Err... The Rafter volley was certainly better than the Sampras volley. Sampras didn't need to be as good a volleyer due to his serve's power and placement.

I could also see an argument being made for Rafter being in better physical condition than Sampras.

hoons
07-07-2007, 06:13 PM
like him or not, the poo has/had a nice service motion. too bad the rest of his game did have anything to it

gdsballer
07-07-2007, 07:30 PM
sampras had such a good motion, so fluid and smooth with so much juice on it...roscoe tanner? that junk was ugly but effective

psamp14
07-07-2007, 11:02 PM
sjeng schalken for sure!!!!

lol, just kidding...i was watching an old tape, sampras-schalken 2002 us open semifinal, and the guy just wont bend his knees on his serve, let alone most shots!

pistol pete sampras has the greatest motion on the serve

BodegaBay
07-08-2007, 09:00 PM
I think Edberg had the most gracious and beautiful motion, but perhaps not the most effective.

Totally agreed. His service and backhand motions were just so fluid; to this day I've yet to see another player with such graceful swings. While his serves were beautiful, it was a back killer for anyone else except him.

slice bh compliment
07-09-2007, 12:20 AM
...on clay at Forest Hills in 1986 or 1987 in the semis of a now-defunct tournament, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

WCT Forest Hills.
Tournament of Champions.

Those are the names I remember. I was there, too. As a spectator and I played the pre-qualies and qualies a few times. Late spring usually, if I recall correctly. May?

Anyway about serves.
My heart says Noah as the finest. But there are others. Stich, Pete, Roger, Johnny Mac had a nice one, Boris, and now I like the way Baghdatis serves. Goran. Ashe had a beautiful serve, too.

But purely on aesthetics, I'd say Stich and Noah.
When I was a kid, I would try to serve like Borg, Nastase and Noah, mostly.

Some other notably big servers: Slobodan Zivojinovic, Chip Hooper, Eric Korita, Kevin Curren, Steve Denton, Colin Dibley, Johnny Fever, Stan Smith.

93sq.
07-09-2007, 03:21 AM
Noah and Ivanisevic....

ledor
07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
I'm going to put my vote for

Pete Sampras.

ofey
09-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Sampras by a mile... .

Edberg's was a joy to watch but too flimsy to really be called GREATEST.

johnv_pr
09-13-2007, 06:12 AM
I liked how Mac totally gave his back to the net right after the toss. I tried to do it as a teenager but eventually left that behind.

johnv_pr
09-13-2007, 06:13 AM
BTW, my favorite is Sampras.

S&V
09-13-2007, 06:44 AM
i actually like federer's motion

gsquicksilver
09-13-2007, 07:23 AM
sampras gets my vote as well.

didn't they model the new ATP logo after sampras's serve?

http://www.tomas-berdych.com/atp_logo_58193.gif

http://nonstriker.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/sampras.jpg

http://www.replay-tennis-dvds.com/images/sampras.jpg

Sliceboy2
09-13-2007, 09:26 AM
Pistol Pete here.....

Jackie T. Stephens
09-13-2007, 09:45 AM
I think Boris Becker or Pete.

2 Cent
09-13-2007, 09:46 AM
Goran Ivanisevic.
that guy had the smoothest, most effortless looking serve i've ever seen. but it was so fast! it was beautiful. awesome!
led the tour in acing for many years.

zagor
09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
I'll go with Krajicek

Legend of Borg
09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Without doubt Goran Ivanisevic(few people could pronounce his name by the way:lol: ). His serve is da bomb. The crouching motion before he destoys the ball is unique as well. I haven't seen anyone use the same service motion.(Djokovic does a pretty good imitation of him.lol:D )

drakulie
09-13-2007, 11:52 AM
Pete Sampras by a landslide..........................

ktownva
09-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Carlos Moya - current.
Pete Sampras - former.

tenis
09-14-2007, 07:39 PM
1. Sampras
2. Krajicek
3. Ivanisevic
4. Federer

djsiva
09-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, Noah had a certain French flair in his service motion and was generally artistic

But, Stich had the German precision and smooth acceleration through the whole motion producing pace, spin, and placment with a seemingly effortless motion

It was like a Renault versus a Porsche...

By the way, I haven't forgotten that I still owe you some grits...

NICE analogy. Both of them make Roddick look like a hack on the public courts.

Ultra2HolyGrail
09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Mcenroes was underated, not alot of power, but hard to read.

johnv_pr
09-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Mcenroes was underated, not alot of power, but hard to read.

That's what I was refering to.

CEvertFan
09-16-2007, 07:00 AM
Sampras, the greatest server ever in the men's game, bar none. Beautiful effortless service motion and very hard to read, and the 2nd serve was almost as good as the 1st serve.

Verilious
09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Sampras without a doubt. You can really tell by watching his second serve, poetry in motion!

joe sch
09-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Yes, Gonzales had one of the best motions. Everything was so fluid and consistent - I have always admired his low ball toss. If I had a time machine, the serve I would really want to see is that of Ellsworth Vines. I have only seen video clips (there's one online at histoiredutennis.com), but it is easy to appreciate the smoothness and power of his swing.

Gonzales and Vines both had beautiful serves. I think Bill Tildens serve maybe the best of the early woody players. Take a look it is from the website you referenced.which has many other excellent bio's with great pics and clips:

http://bmarcore.club.fr/tennis/champions/Tilden/bigbill.html

vsbabolat
09-16-2007, 07:05 PM
Since nobody picked him I will. I think Borg had a great simple serve motion that is underrated. You don't win 5 Wimbledons without a good serve. Other Players with Serves I liked are:
Krajicek
Stich
McEnroe
Noah
Ivanisevic
Federer
Safin
Edberg

VikingSamurai
09-17-2007, 12:16 AM
I cant believe no one has mentioned Pat Cash.. Although not a powerful serve. The rythem and motion are second to none..

Boris Becker is my second favourite.. As a 16y.o, he served harder than Kevin Curren (who was considered one of the biggest servers of the time) Other than his tongue giving his direction away, to be able to serve with a hand shake grip and serve the way he did is amazing.. The fact that from the time I was 10y.o I modeled my serve to his might give me reason to give him my vote, but I don't get the knee bend that I used to. But I do the whole rocking thing 20 years later.. And I still serve with the handshake grip to this day..

Now I serve like old man Boris.. All is the same, just no knees touching the ground.. And well, the leaping is about 3 inches off the ground instead of 2 feet.. :)

Gorecki
09-17-2007, 05:26 AM
someone actually refered to Jmac as having a nice serve motion?... my god... this forum needs a format c:....

FD3S
09-17-2007, 02:56 PM
Karsten Braasch, hands down.

slice bh compliment
09-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Hahhhahaha, he and Steve Denton get a nod for Most Idiosyncratic Service Motion.

Wuornos
09-18-2007, 03:21 AM
When you say motion, what exactly do you mean. :o

Eviscerator
09-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Depends on how you define best service motion.

desilvam
10-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Stich
Simple, effortless, smooth and relaxed

evan904
10-05-2007, 07:57 PM
McEnroe hands down

HotCarl
10-06-2007, 10:15 AM
STICH. for sure. I like feds too, though.

Tshooter
11-21-2007, 08:21 PM
The ideal serve motion:

http://lovethirty.com/movies/dementieva-serve

FedForGOAT
11-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I cant believe no one has mentioned Pat Cash.. Although not a powerful serve. The rythem and motion are second to none..

Boris Becker is my second favourite.. As a 16y.o, he served harder than Kevin Curren (who was considered one of the biggest servers of the time) Other than his tongue giving his direction away, to be able to serve with a hand shake grip and serve the way he did is amazing.. The fact that from the time I was 10y.o I modeled my serve to his might give me reason to give him my vote, but I don't get the knee bend that I used to. But I do the whole rocking thing 20 years later.. And I still serve with the handshake grip to this day..

Now I serve like old man Boris.. All is the same, just no knees touching the ground.. And well, the leaping is about 3 inches off the ground instead of 2 feet.. :)

are the stories about Becker's tongue myths, or are they actual facts?
pictures anyone?

Ultra2HolyGrail
12-01-2007, 01:56 AM
McEnroe hands down

Better than most people realize. Two motions i use to imatate were Mcenroe-Becker.

EZRA
12-01-2007, 06:24 AM
Michael Stich .. fluid and effortless.

mmuubb
12-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Am i the only one who finds roddicks move nice and unique? Not that i like it the most but its quite spectacular.

10nisDude~
12-01-2007, 03:00 PM
just the motion...i give it to federer cuz he just has a nice and beautiful swing...

jmsx521
12-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Dude, way harsh.

Sampras, Kraijcek, Stich

stich IMO had the sweetest motion, effortless power...

stich it to me

Stich - the most deceptive. Its so easy and fluid you think you can get the same power, I swear Stich did black magic...

Stich
Simple, effortless, smooth and relaxed

STICH. for sure. I like feds too, though.

Michael Stich .. fluid and effortless.

Stich has the most votes, and I go with Stich too. I modeled my own serve after him as well, but it doesn't really work well with a 100 sq.in. racket. Notice that the smoothest ball-strikers are the ones with the smaller frames.

zacinnc78
12-01-2007, 03:12 PM
james blake lol

jmsx521
12-01-2007, 03:23 PM
sjeng schalken for sure!!!

Hahhhahaha, he and Steve Denton get a nod for Most Idiosyncratic Service Motion.We might as well start The Worst motion, within this thread. I'll also include Jan Siemerink and Magnus Gustafsson. Michael Tebbutt's was strange and abrupt too. And Bernd Karbacher had a strange one, but I actually enjoyed watching it.

Ripper
12-01-2007, 04:20 PM
And 100...