PDA

View Full Version : Stairs vs. Sprints

chroix
06-29-2007, 12:00 PM
I've been running on stairs for a few years now, in the ballpark of 75-100 stories worth each outing 2x3 times per week, and was wondering if anybody thought flat ground sprints would be better, worse or same for tennis conditioning? It is the hardest work out I know, but I am wondering if it is the most effective?

Bodacious DVT
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
my opinion: how often do you run up stairs on the tennis court? how often do you sprint/run on a tennis court?

stairs are an excellent for cardio, but its not necessarily the most practical workout for tennis. tennis uses short bursts of energy, stairs are more of a sustained energy workout. short distance sprints would be a great choice, and try puting some medium-paced jogging in between.

richw76
06-29-2007, 01:51 PM
my opinion: how often do you run up stairs on the tennis court? how often do you sprint/run on a tennis court?

stairs are an excellent for cardio, but its not necessarily the most practical workout for tennis. tennis uses short bursts of energy, stairs are more of a sustained energy workout. short distance sprints would be a great choice, and try puting some medium-paced jogging in between.

I agree 100%. A combo would probably be best, say 1 stairs day and 2 sprint days. One thing though it's really hard to push yourself through a sprint workout. If you have a coach or some buddies to do it with you'll have a great workout. Stairs you can't really cheat. But maybe it's just me that's also why if I ride my bike a do hilly trails since you can't coast and no matter how you do it you'll get a great workout.