PDA

View Full Version : Shin pains and what exercise for it?

kanjii
06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
I am having shin bone pains due to tennis and probably being on the heavy side. Is this shin splints where the fron of the shin hurts when you touch it and your brain is saying "God, please don't have my shin break if I lunge for this ball?" If so, what type of exercise should I be doing to remedy this. I am assuming definitely lose weight..I am 5'11" and weighing 215lbs.

theace21
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Sounds like shin splints, hurts on both sides of the tibia (lower leg bone). They are a pain.

ZoomUltraflight
06-29-2007, 06:33 PM
I would suggest start doing some light jogging and get used to the movement you need to be doing. Weight is a point, but it also has to do with your leg strength. I used to have this porblem as I was out of shape and started figuringout what it was like to actually move on the tennis court. I would suggest some jogging becuase you will probably have shin splints form running if you get them from tennis, even try some jump-roping(may not help shin splints, but does increase calf strength and the quick twitch muscles essential for tennis).

EricW
06-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I would suggest start doing some light jogging and get used to the movement you need to be doing. Weight is a point, but it also has to do with your leg strength. I used to have this porblem as I was out of shape and started figuringout what it was like to actually move on the tennis court. I would suggest some jogging becuase you will probably have shin splints form running if you get them from tennis, even try some jump-roping(may not help shin splints, but does increase calf strength and the quick twitch muscles essential for tennis).

To cure shin splints, you do need to increase your leg strength, but not you're calfs. The reason you get shin splints are an imbalance in the strength of your shin and your calf. Strengthen your shin and they will go away. (plus rest!)

I recommend you do shin raises. Google them. For a written explaination: Lean against a wall. Lift your toes as high as possible while keeping your heels on the ground. Do it as many times as possible until you can't anymore. If you the front of your lower leg (shin muscle) isn't burning like CRAZY you'redoing them wrong or not enough of them.

Also try resting, putting the padded things in your shoes, getting better tennis shoes, not eating a bunch of sh*t that makes you heavy, running sprints when your shins feel better, swimming to lose weight(swimming laps as fast as possible), googling "shin splints" and NEVER I REPEAT NEVER TAKE PAIN MEDICATION.

I'm done now. Good luck!

fearless1
06-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Have a pedorathist check your shoes and feet and the way you walk/run too. He/she should be able to recommend or simply make adjustments (inserts) that should be able to alleviate or even eliminate the problem entirely. If still hurting, your problem may simply be a case of condition in which case, just keep working out and the problem should also go away.

Spector
06-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I would seriously recommend having an x-ray done just to check the possibility of a stress fracture. It maybe a hairline stress fracture in which case you should probably find out asap.

EricW
06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Have a pedorathist check your shoes and feet and the way you walk/run too. He/she should be able to recommend or simply make adjustments (inserts) that should be able to alleviate or even eliminate the problem entirely. If still hurting, your problem may simply be a case of condition in which case, just keep working out and the problem should also go away.

This is also a very informative post. For example your feet could be "pronated":

"A pronated foot is one that rolls inward when walking or running and does not properly pass the weight over the foot. This creates a biomechanical problem that stresses the foot and lower leg. The knee and hip are affected as well because of the inward rotation of the leg." (Source: http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/footcare/foot3353.html)

This would put more stress on your lower leg causing shin splints and inserts in your shoes may help solve the problem.

xtremerunnerars
06-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Get this looked at. I have a friend who (probably) overtrained for around two years, and his determination and drive finally caught up with him. He's now basically crippled for a few months because of the pain in his legs. Two years of wrestling>cross country>track>cross country training>wrestling>repeat finally got to him.

So from experience, please get yourself checked out. I'd hate to hear of this happening to someone again. One option for the more temporary side of things could be to wear another pair of socks, or change sock thickness for a little more padding.

circusmouse
06-30-2007, 04:35 PM
One thing no one's mentioned yet: massage. You can do it yourself. Just oil up your thumbs, press into the muscle, and rub all the way down the muscle. It will probably be very tender, so start fairly light and increase the pressure with time. Do it for several minutes per side. It helps break up scar tissue in the muscle and ligaments, and it can really decrease pain over time.

zapvor
07-01-2007, 08:21 PM
i had this problem a couple weeks back, and i am pretty sure i still have it, but it doesnt really hurt anymore. i will probabyl try out some of these tips when it happens again

EricW
07-01-2007, 08:32 PM
i had this problem a couple weeks back, and i am pretty sure i still have it, but it doesnt really hurt anymore. i will probabyl try out some of these tips when it happens again

If you don't have the problem at the moment, it's a perfect oppurtunity to condition. Read what I had to say in my above posts about shin raises, etc

They will help you immensely in preventing shin splints and ankle problems.

zapvor
07-02-2007, 08:16 AM
If you don't have the problem at the moment, it's a perfect oppurtunity to condition. Read what I had to say in my above posts about shin raises, etc

They will help you immensely in preventing shin splints and ankle problems.

thats the weird thing. i originaly read another post about that shin raise thing, and after trying it out was when i got the shin splints lol. i must have overdone it or something.