PDA

View Full Version : ATP: Headlight or Headheavy?

cukoo
06-29-2007, 05:23 PM
I searched for the phrases "headlight", "headheavy" , And "ATP" and didnt find anything so far.

Do ATP pro's racquets tend to be more HL or HH and what are the advantages of each?

Thanks

cmatt428
06-29-2007, 05:41 PM
A similar discussion. Probably didnt show up on your search because of the space between head and heavy in this thread's title.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=40193

Ripper
06-29-2007, 05:44 PM
A similar discussion. Probably didnt show up on your search because of the space between head and heavy in this thread's title.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=40193

Also, I think, in order for you to be able to search for a word, it has to have, at least, 4 letters. Unless they changed that again.

cukoo
06-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Cmatt, thank you for that.

Interesting post , reading the thread, I came across this posted by PS 6.0.
He states:

Like everybody says, when choosing a racket... get the heaviest most head heavy racket that is comfortable for you to use/play with. Just think of the pros slowly getting more and more accustomed to their increasingly head heavy rackets untill they plateau off. For me, i used to swear by my PS 6.0 because it swung so light... now i feel that it swings flimsy. I'm slowly trying to get myself to tolerate heavier swinging rackets.

Another interesting point:
Headheavy-er racquet give you higher serve speed.

Are these 2 statements true?

Also, still, can someone tell me the pros and cons of HH/HL racquets?
I only know of one, HL racquets =better manerverbility.

babolat15
06-29-2007, 06:58 PM
i would also like to know

Spector
06-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Most are using heavy (well relatively heavy) headlight racquets.

Ripper
06-29-2007, 07:37 PM
Well, in my case, sometimes, when playing guys who can hit bullets, I change from the RD-7 (my HG) to the RDX500 MP, which has a much lower swingweight, and believe it or not, it helps me, because I can control my timing a lot better. So, sometimes, it really depends. Of course, I'm no pro :)

saram
06-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Cmatt, thank you for that.

Interesting post , reading the thread, I came across this posted by PS 6.0.
He states:

Another interesting point:
Headheavy-er racquet give you higher serve speed.

Are these 2 statements true?

Also, still, can someone tell me the pros and cons of HH/HL racquets?
I only know of one, HL racquets =better manerverbility.

In adressing your question about HH/HL rackets, here is/are my thoughts...

HH rackets deliver more pop on just about every stroke. They are more stable, more solid, deliver more pace etc.

HL rackets deliver greater racket speed all around. The greater the speed--the greater the spin, pace, etc. And yes-better maneuverability. It almost seems to contradict in some ways that a lighter and heavier racket can create more pace.

Roger uses a very heavy and stable stick and generates great speed with it--but his racket speed is also phenomenal. Rafa hits an amazing ball with a relatively light stick due to his incredible strength and head speed.

So many people within these forums get caught up in wanting to emulate and copy the pro's. I think what they should do instead is THINK like the pro's.

We must realize that as individuals, our physique, swing, head speed, footwork, endurance, strength, etc., is all unique and different. If all the pro's were the same--they would all have the same set-up. What you must do is find what works for you.

Demo several rackets. Pay attention to flex of the stick, weight, swingweight, and find what racket you can swing the with the most speed, which stick you can play numerous sets without elbow pain with, which feels the most solid, etc. At the end of four hours on the courts--which one still feels the best in your hand. Then, get some lead tape once you decide on the perfect stick for YOU and weight and balance it for YOU.

The pro's think for themselves--they have people creating custom molds for them with hours and hours of court time developing the perfect stick for them--then they beef up the weight with lead. Even Andy's racket that you see online here at TW that was made to "Andy's specs" is not what he uses. Look at the lead tape on his stick--if it were made for him--there would be no need for lead tape.

Personally, instead of finding the heaviest stick I can play with and purchase that one--I have bought a relatively light stick (Aero Pro Drive) and weighted it to suit MY needs--not what Rafa or anyone else uses on tour.

Remember as well that if you demo sticks online--that you will have no idea what the string tension is when you get it in the box. Try and see if you can demo sticks knowing the tension of the strings and the type of strings in it.

It is my belief that you can play better with amazing strings in a cheap stick than a great stick with horrid strings. Good strings at a tension that works for you can make the same stick feel completely different from one day to the next.

Sorry to ramble--and hope this helps a little...

crazylevity
07-01-2007, 08:39 AM
I agree with thinking about what's best for your game. In a sense, look at your strokes and playing style and see what needs to be done.

Using myself as an example, I add weight because I need the stability, but at the same time I need maneuverability cos I use a one handed backhand. I use fairly full strokes, so the weight should be heavy enough for stability but not too heavy that it's cumbersome to swing. At the same time I'm not a very big guy, so it's not feasible to put too much weight.

So, get the drift?