PDA

View Full Version : Popular Strings

CheapStrings
10-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Ideally doesn't everyone want the best string performance for the lowest possible price with decent durability? My guess is that most people can find that with strings costing $10 or less.

Therefore I am wondering what you folks are stringing the most often. The questions below are directed at anyone that strings at least 20 racquets per month for others.

1. What are the 3 - 5 most popular strings you string listed in descending order.

2. For each of the strings give your best guess why your customers' selected that string based on price, string performance (other than durability), and durability, e.g. $= 30%, P= 50%, and D= 20%.

3. If you have string breakers that restring more than once a month and eliminated them from your stats, how would that change your stats, e.g. #2 would become #3.

4. What percentage of your total sales are for strings under $10 (TW price before tax and shipping). Under $5?

5. How many racquets do you string per month?

Jerry Seinfeld
10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
Interesting post...I'll contribute my #'s from this past Sept.

Most Popular Strings installed costing $10.00 or less.

1. Laserfibre Synthetic Gut Classic

2. Unique Tournafiber Irradiated

3. Prince Lightning XX

4. Yonex Tour Super 850/850Pro (tie)

5. Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex

Each rated on scale of 1 - 10 for following areas: Price (value), Playability, Durability

1. LF Synthetic Gut Classic $=7, P=7, D=7

2. Unique Tournafiber Irradiated $=9, P=9, D=8

3. Prince Lightning XX $=6, P=7, D=7

4. Yonex Tour Super 850/850Pro $=8 P=9.5/8 D=8/9

5. Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex $=9 P=6 D=6

% of sales per month of strings <$10 = 38%

# of racquets per month = 89

Matt H.
10-05-2004, 08:57 PM
pretty much every racquet i string for people at my school's tennis club is Babolat Super Fine play.

it works just fine. I buy the reel, then charge 5 bucks per racquet, plus labor.

Steve Huff
10-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Probably: Prince Synthetic w/Duraflex 16
Laserfibre Supreme 16
Gosen OG Micro 17
Gosen Polylong Ice 16
Wilson Stamina 16

The OG Micro 17 and the Stamina 16 are both used as the cross string on many hybrids. The hybrids contribute a lot the success of these 2 strings.

predrag
10-06-2004, 05:55 AM
[quote="
5. Prince Synthetic Gut with Duraflex $=9 P=6 D=6

[/quote]

Is this how much you charge, installation + string?

If it is, that's very low price.

Regards, Predrag

CheapStrings
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Jerry & Steve, thanks for your replies. Kind of hard to see any significant trends, maybe if a few more people send in info something will develop. I am mildly surprised that your string breaker customers aren't a significant part of your under $10 string sales, i.e., none of the strings listed are high durability strings.