PDA

View Full Version : How to Play With A Rolled Ankle

matchpoint54
06-30-2007, 11:57 AM
So, i was at tennis on friday getting ready for my tournament when I rolled my ankle. I was getting a lob, when I lost my balance, and fell back. There has been some swelling at my left ankle, but there's a big tournament on sunday that I'm playing in. Is there anyway that I can play this tournament with my injury?
Thanks in advance

travlerajm
06-30-2007, 12:01 PM
So, i was at tennis on friday getting ready for my tournament when I rolled my ankle. I was getting a lob, when I lost my balance, and fell back. There has been some swelling at my left ankle, but there's a big tournament on sunday that I'm playing in. Is there anyway that I can play this tournament with my injury?
Thanks in advance

Skip the tournament and go to a medical supply store to get an AirCast ankle brace to wear when you play tennis from now on.

matchpoint54
06-30-2007, 04:21 PM
Any other suggestions?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Treatment:

ICE your ankle as much a possible and if you can try to stay off it as much as possible will do. Also how bad did u roll it? If not to bad, use some medical tape for prevention and balance.

matchpoint54
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Treatment:

ICE your ankle as much a possible and if you can try to stay off it as much as possible will do. Also how bad did u roll it? If not to bad, use some medical tape for prevention and balance.

The pain from the rolled ankle isn't that bad, and is more of an annoying pain, when I put pressure on it. This is my first time rolling my ankle, so I'm not a good judge.

noobplayer
06-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Skip the tournament and go to a medical supply store to get an AirCast ankle brace to wear when you play tennis from now on.

wat do braces do anyways? i rolled my ankle but i didnt get a brace and so far its been fine for 2 years. and even if u did get the brace do u wear it forever when u play tennis?

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
06-30-2007, 05:03 PM
The pain from the rolled ankle isn't that bad, and is more of an annoying pain, when I put pressure on it. This is my first time rolling my ankle, so I'm not a good judge.

I rolled my ankle a few times in college, and I was able to compete one time the next day with it but u have to ICE to prevent further swelling and try out the medical tape. It might feel a little uncomfortable at first, but it will be fine if you tape it just right.

I can’t comment on the ankle brace because I tried that once and they are very uncomfortable for me. Hope this helps u out some….

travlerajm
06-30-2007, 06:24 PM
wat do braces do anyways? i rolled my ankle but i didnt get a brace and so far its been fine for 2 years. and even if u did get the brace do u wear it forever when u play tennis?

You have nerves in your ankle that signal your brain when you are about to roll, so that you are able to adjust your balance to keep from rolling.

When you roll your ankle, you damage some of those nerves, so that your brain never gets the signal that you are about to roll. So each time you roll it, you become more and more likely to do it again.

Also, each time you roll it, it heals with scar tissue that is less flexible than the normal tissue. So each time you roll it again, the extent of the injury will likely be worse than the time before.

I rolled mine bad in 2001, and I wore a brace for few months and then stopped wearing it. But then I rolled it even worse in 2005. So ever since then, I wear the AirCast every time I play - it's saved me from re-rolling it a couple of times.

Bottle Rocket
06-30-2007, 07:48 PM
travlerajm,

That is one of the most interesting things I've read around here. I always wondered why it seemed to easy to roll it again as it is healing. I'll have to look into this a little more...

I did a good number on my ankle about a year ago. It was one of the first and only injuries I've had from playing tennis, but it was pretty bad. I took a few days off, got a brace, and played with the brace for nearly a month.

The pain went away after a short time, but I kept wearing the brance, but I didn't really know why... Now I know. Since then, stable tennis shoes have become even more important to me. Along with the shoes, I am very conscious of what my feet are doing now.

What about guys that claim they have done it so many times it just isn't an issue anymore?

Midlife crisis
06-30-2007, 10:36 PM
You have nerves in your ankle that signal your brain when you are about to roll, so that you are able to adjust your balance to keep from rolling.

When you roll your ankle, you damage some of those nerves, so that your brain never gets the signal that you are about to roll. So each time you roll it, you become more and more likely to do it again.

Also, each time you roll it, it heals with scar tissue that is less flexible than the normal tissue. So each time you roll it again, the extent of the injury will likely be worse than the time before.

I rolled mine bad in 2001, and I wore a brace for few months and then stopped wearing it. But then I rolled it even worse in 2005. So ever since then, I wear the AirCast every time I play - it's saved me from re-rolling it a couple of times.

That's interesting. Do you have any citations for this? I've injured my ankle pretty severely and have read a lot on both the surgical repair and subsequent rehab and I've not come across one article that says this. Here's some of what I bookmarked:

http://www.orthopedictechreview.com/issues/jan04/pg46.htm

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/17/20/02.html

http://www.emedicine.com/SPORTS/topic98.htm

http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?doc_id=8948

Several of the things I've read mention proprioceptive training, but do not mention this in the context of prior damage to nerves.