PDA

View Full Version : racket "weight" issue

DarkTennis
06-30-2007, 09:50 PM
dunno did anyone notice this or not but while i was at sportcheck one day i held diffrent rackets and felt that my mfil 200 was heavier than the new Kfactor that federer racket was...but in the tenniswarehouse stats it say its the Kfactor one is heavier i wonder why could this be... can i make a really heavy racket like around 13onz or w/e to have a imitation of feeling in weight terms to feel like a 10 onz or 11 onz racket? these head light and heady heavy issues really make me think its like magic how a heavy racket is made to be felt like a really light racket

anyone help me?

PurePrestige
06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
Yeah a lighter racket can be made to feel alot like a heavier racket.
The whole concept behind Headlight and Headheavy is just to give you an indication of the dispersion of mass across the frame. If there is more weight in the head, it will feel heavier and less maneuverable in your hand. However more headlight will feel lighter and more maneuverable. Both of these considering equal static weight.
Take a real light 9oz racket and add a fair amount of lead at 12 and it will feel as heavy as a MFil 200 or a K90.

The real way to check weight of a racket is rather to hold it at the throat and maybe move it up and down to get a sense of static weight. The perceived weight you may be talking about is the Swingweight. Which on these boards is much talked about and probably one of the most dominating attributes of any racket. Swingweight can very greatly depending upon the combination of static weight and balance and as such a lighter racket can 'feel' much heavier to the hand.

DarkTennis
06-30-2007, 10:22 PM
OHH so thats what swing weight is ...HAHA i always wonder what the heck that was....i thought it was just the weight of racket when it was felt at impact on the tennis ball:P how stupid of me:P:p

DarkTennis
06-30-2007, 10:28 PM
HEY HEY so the QUESTION truly is HOW TO MAKE a really heavy static weight racket like for 13 onze into a really light swing weight racket like 10 onz!!!

kabob
06-30-2007, 10:35 PM
HEY HEY so the QUESTION truly is HOW TO MAKE a really heavy static weight racket like for 13 onze into a really light swing weight racket like 10 onz!!!

Start with an 11.5 to 12-ounce+ racquet, then put lead tape/weights in the handle.