PDA

View Full Version : my new idea for a pattern

Anonymous
10-05-2004, 04:20 PM
im nto sure if its been discussed before, but if after ur done with teh mains and about to start the crosses, what if u did every other cross, and then came back up on the rest of the crosses. Wouldnt this give the frame the most even stringbed stiffness rather than it being more at the head or throat?

any insight on this would be appreciated, thanks!

David Pavlich
10-05-2004, 05:18 PM
This sounds like the old "inventing a better mouse trap" syndrome.

The first problem that I find is that you'd be creating a racqeut full of blocked holes. I wouldn't do it just for that reason alone.

David

Kaptain Karl
10-05-2004, 06:18 PM
Donít the newer machines with multiple clamping points already mitigate this problem?

- KK

David Pavlich
10-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Donít the newer machines with multiple clamping points already mitigate this problem?

- KK

I think you misunderstood my point. By blocked holes, I'm referring to grommet holes that are blocked by the string lying across the opening. If you were to skip every other cross, you'd be creating a lot of blocked holes. It's a big enough pain dealing with frames like the Ti/i/LM Radical OS that has enough naturally blocked holes without creating Frankenstein's monster.

David

Steve Huff
10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
David's right. I'd hate to be trying to get around all the blocked holes. Also, the first crosses to be strung would be weaved with the natural string stagger, so they'd end up a lot tighter. (you'd basically be pulling in a straight line after the 1st cross). Very little friction. Then, you'd be stringing AGAINST the stagger going the opposite way. With half the crosses already in place, as you pulled the string, you'd be increasing tension on the 1st crosses in place by moving the main string, plus, you have a lot more loss of tension due to the increased friction. So, overall, you'd have a lot more UNeven stringjob.

Kaptain Karl
10-06-2004, 05:19 AM
David - I understand and agree with you. I was resonding to *this* from the OP: Wouldnt this give the frame the most even stringbed stiffness rather than it being more at the head or throat?

- KK

David Pavlich
10-06-2004, 07:53 PM
David - I understand and agree with you. I was resonding to *this* from the OP: Wouldnt this give the frame the most even stringbed stiffness rather than it being more at the head or throat?

- KK

OK...I guess I was the one that was misunderstanding. :oops:

David