PDA

View Full Version : Agassi's best matches - win/lose. What are they?

Guevin
07-01-2007, 05:22 PM
I'm looking to buy multiple matches on DVD (on a certain site I've seen here) as a B-day gift to myself.

I'd like to get your views on what his best matches are. A top 10-15 list of sorts.

The outcome doesn't mean as much to me as the technical play. Matches where he was just really on, great form from both sides, just going toe-to-toe and ripping shots, i.e. the '00 Aus. Open final v. Kafelnikov. So even if he may have lost a match but he was really playing great please include it if you can.

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. I'd also like to get some Jmac, Borg, and Sampras matches so feel free to include some matches that epitomized their greatness, even if they may have lost on that particular day.)

The Gorilla
07-01-2007, 05:59 PM
go to lauries website: http://www.classictennismatches.net/index_files/page0018.html

clcik on the link

click atp and sampras

Forehand Forever
07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
I'd watch when he played Baghdatis last year at the US Open. He used a lot of tactics to beat Marcos.

CyBorg
07-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Borg:

- Unless you're sick of it by now - 1980 Wimbledon final vs McEnroe

- 1981 Wimbledon SF against Connors

- 1980 US Open QF against Tanner

- 1977 Wimbledon F against Connors

- if you can get it: 1978 Rome F against Panatta

- if you can get it: 1975 Dallas SF against Laver

McEnroe:

- get the 1980 F against Borg .. his breakthrough

As for Sampras, I like his battles with Becker indoors in 1996 .. any of those are good.

I can't stand Agassi, so I can't recommend much with him, although I loved the James Blake match from the 2005 US Open.

stormholloway
07-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm pretty sure Borg also had an epic five setter against Tanner at Wimbledon. 76 or 77?

CyBorg
07-02-2007, 05:22 AM
I'm pretty sure Borg also had an epic five setter against Tanner at Wimbledon. 76 or 77?

Oh, of course. 1979 Wimbledon F. Good one to go with, most definitely.

krosero
07-02-2007, 05:41 AM
- 1980 US Open QF against TannerI have not been able to find this one anywhere, have you?

krosero
07-02-2007, 05:53 AM
I'm looking to buy multiple matches on DVD (on a certain site I've seen here) as a B-day gift to myself.

I'd like to get your views on what his best matches are. A top 10-15 list of sorts.

The outcome doesn't mean as much to me as the technical play. Matches where he was just really on, great form from both sides, just going toe-to-toe and ripping shots, i.e. the '00 Aus. Open final v. Kafelnikov. So even if he may have lost a match but he was really playing great please include it if you can.

Thanks in advance.

(p.s. I'd also like to get some Jmac, Borg, and Sampras matches so feel free to include some matches that epitomized their greatness, even if they may have lost on that particular day.)The USO quarterfinal that Agassi lost to Sampras in 2001 gets a lot of accolades, obviously, as a well-played match. Neither man lost serve, and Agassi served 18 aces, which is much higher than in his other four-set losses to Sampras at the USO (1995 and 2002).

Borg lost his serve only once in his five-set win over Tanner at Wimbledon. His final the next year against McEnroe is the one that everyone watches, with good reason; and he did play out of his mind at the end; but I was very impressed with how well he played over the course of five sets in the Tanner match.

CyBorg
07-02-2007, 06:58 AM
I have not been able to find this one anywhere, have you?

I have it on tape. I don't know if they sell it.

krosero
07-02-2007, 08:25 AM
I have it on tape. I don't know if they sell it.If you're willing to sell a copy, please PM me.

superman1
07-02-2007, 03:12 PM
Most of his Australian Open matches, really. He pretty much blew guys away. Even Sampras in '95 couldn't handle him. '99 US Open against Todd Martin. Haven't seen the whole thing, but from what I saw, he was ripping the ball from both sides maybe harder than I've ever seen him rip it. It would be easier if you gave us a list of matches to pick from, since he played over 1,000 and he did pretty well in most of them. He also had different styles over the years, so it depends on what you like. Fast Agassi who went for broke all the time and thus could be somewhat inconsistent would be early 90's, slower Agassi who went for broke all the time and was consistent would be late 90's, and slower Agassi who played more conservatively and broke guys down would be late 90's and beyond.

Z-Man
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Yeah, that match against Todd Martin in the final of the US Open was amazing. They were both just crushing the ball. Andre was at the peak of his powers, and Todd was also playing really well.

CyBorg
07-03-2007, 12:06 PM
If you're willing to sell a copy, please PM me.

It's much too ancient to even bother. Besides I don't have the technology to copy. I myself wouldn't mind finding a good quality version one day.

stormholloway
07-03-2007, 12:27 PM
The semi 5 setter in... 2000 (?) at the Aussie against Sampras is quality.

krosero
07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
It's much too ancient to even bother. Besides I don't have the technology to copy. I myself wouldn't mind finding a good quality version one day.Okay. At some point it's bound to turn up.

circusmouse
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
I second the 2006 USO against Baghdatis and add 2005 USO against Blake.

z-money
07-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Easily his match with sampras that was nothing but tiebreakers. how can you get more perfect match. no breakes at all. he lost but that was an unbelievable match

CyBorg
07-03-2007, 07:47 PM
Easily his match with sampras that was nothing but tiebreakers. how can you get more perfect match. no breakes at all. he lost but that was an unbelievable match

That's the 2001 US Open match. QF if memory serves.

krosero
07-03-2007, 10:12 PM
I just want to add mention of the match that Agassi lost to Becker in the 1989 Davis Cup on indoor carpet in Germany. He won the first two sets and, from what I remember, was hitting winners left and right. His level naturally dropped in the last three sets, but he continued to play Becker closely.

superman1
07-03-2007, 10:49 PM
Andre, Andre...if only you had been a smarter player when you were younger. He was beating Courier down in that French Open final, and then after the rain delay he started missing, and he started pounding the ball harder in frustration, and then he missed more, and then he got angry at himself...

You get the feeling that if he had been playing with a wooden racquet, he would have hit the ball just as hard as with a modern racquet, and would have ended up snapping 10 racquets per match.

Micce
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I give a list of various great Agassi matches:

1988 Masters RR: Lendl vs Agassi (1-6 7-6 6-3)
1989 Davis Cup SF: Becker vs Agassi (6-7 6-7 7-6 6-4 6-4)
1992 Wimbledon SF: Agassi vs McEnroe (6-4 6-2 6-3)
1994 US Open 4th round: Agassi vs Chang (6-1 6-7 6-3 3-6 6-1)
1994 US Open Final: Agassi vs Stich (6-1 7-6 7-5)
1995 Australian Open Final: Agassi vs Sampras (4-6 6-1 7-6 6-4)
1995 US Open Final: Sampras vs Agassi (6-4 6-3 4-6 7-5)
1998 Grand Slam Cup Final: Rios vs Agassi (6-4 2-6 7-6 5-7 6-3)
1999 Los Angeles Final: Sampras vs Agassi (7-6 7-6)
2000 Australian Open SF: Agassi vs Sampras (6-4 3-6 6-7 7-6 6-1)
2001 Miami Ericsson Open Final: Agassi vs Gambill (7-6 6-1 6-0)
2001 Australian Open SF: Agassi vs Rafter (7-5 2-6 6-7 6-2 6-3)
2002 Miami Ericsson Open Final: Agassi vs Federer (6-3 6-3 3-6 6-4)
2003 Australian Open Final: Agassi vs Schuettler (6-2 6-2 6-1)
2003 Tennis Masters Cup RR: Federer vs Agassi (6-7 6-3 7-6)
2004 Australian Open SF: Safin vs Agassi (7-6 7-6 5-7 1-6 6-3)

All of those matches contain great play by Agassi, although he lost some of them.

jonline
07-05-2007, 01:00 AM
Last year vs. Baghdatis and '95 US Open vs. Sampras, for sure.

chrisdaniel
07-05-2007, 01:16 AM
not that this was a great match...but i remember agassi beating gimblestob at the 2002 US Open so bad it was fun to watch. He played awsome that whole tournament..

as for great match, I remember Agassi beating Pete in Montreal Canada in the summer of 95...No one ever talks about that match, but it was a great one.

gully
07-05-2007, 04:04 AM
I enjoyed all three of the Wimbledon semis with Rafter, 1999-01, the latter two being five-setters.

Also, I'd add the 2002 USO semi v. Hewitt. Those two played an incredible final in San Jose earlier that year. I'd always like to see that match from Adelaide in 98 where Hewitt beat him at 16.

I agree the 99 LA final with Sampras is a gem. I believe Sampras tweaked his back/hip on a flying dunk in that match, the start of the injury that kept him out of that year's open.

I have the 94 R16 against Chang and 95 USO SF against Becker, both nice matches.

Going back, the 90 USO QF (is that right?) against Connors is fun, too. Five sets, maybe a set tanked by Agassi to go five if you believe it. I would like to see his 88 RG semi against Wilander (and for that matter his 99 win there over Medvedev).

I thought the 00 Masters Cup had some great matchups too, esp with Guga, tough matches in the RR and final, great hitting. I also remember a nice final with Guga in LA from 02.

superman1
07-05-2007, 09:48 PM
The last super dominating match I saw of Agassi's against a very good player was his match against Coria in the quarterfinals of the '05 Pacific Life Open. He was just perfect in that match, and Coria was also playing well. He had to withdraw from his SF match against Hewitt due to his big toe swelling up for some unknown reason, which was a shame.

gully
07-06-2007, 05:32 AM
Yes, that was a nice match against Coria. A couple of highlight-reel points early in the second set, too, I recall.

Also pretty riveting: the first three sets of the 05 USO final with Federer. (The third-set tiebreak, and the fourth set, were not competetive, though.)

pow
07-06-2007, 10:58 AM
vs. Baghdatis last year and vs. Blake the year before at USO.

Gundam
07-06-2007, 04:12 PM
Going back, the 90 USO QF (is that right?) against Connors is fun, too. Five sets, maybe a set tanked by Agassi to go five if you believe it. I would like to see his 88 RG semi against Wilander (and for that matter his 99 win there over Medvedev).

I've heard about this match more than once. Also AA signaled his coach (NB) that it was going to 5th. Is it true? IF SO...Why would a professional player do that? Have been wondering about this for a while. :confused:

drakulie
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
The US OPEN James Blake match was unbelievable.

Any final against Sampras. the us open 2001 quarterfinal match vs Sampras was also unbelievable.

99 FO vs. Medvedev.

becker matches are pretty good. Too many to list.

CyBorg
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
I've heard about this match more than once. Also AA signaled his coach (NB) that it was going to 5th. Is it true? IF SO...Why would a professional player do that? Have been wondering about this for a while. :confused:

Sounds like the time Agassi made a gesture during his match with Connors at the '89 US Open. He blew a couple of sets and then fairly confidently won sets 4 and 5. The gesture spoke of his supposed confidence that he was going to win anyway.

Agassi was an ***.

rod99
07-06-2007, 06:36 PM

the knock on agassi at that point in his career was that he had never won a 5set match. so after going up 2 sets to 1, he essentially tanked the 4th just to get to a 5th which he won. not the smartest thing to do, but that was a very immature agassi. nothing like the man later in his career.

as for great matches, it's the '99 french final vs. medvedev. the greatest moment of his career.

Gundam
07-06-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks CyBorg and rod99! :grin:

superman1
07-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Agassi was apparently supremely confident against Connors. He beat the guy in straight sets the year before. I never saw either match, but it wouldn't surprise me if he matched up well against Connors, since he did pretty much everything better.

Guevin
07-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions, I added a bunch of Masters and Davis cup matches as well as some earlier GS matches from the 80s..

Thanks again.

CyBorg
07-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Thank you all for your suggestions, I added a bunch of Masters and Davis cup matches as well as some earlier GS matches from the 80s..

Thanks again.

What did you find?

Head-Strong
07-09-2007, 08:46 AM
So anything online to buy?

princess bossass
07-09-2007, 09:57 AM
I second the 2006 USO against Baghdatis and add 2005 USO against Blake.

Word. :p :p :p

Gugafan_Redux
07-11-2007, 07:21 AM
I've got the Blake v. Agassi 2005 USO. Phenomenal comeback from two sets down. Fantastic atmosphere. One of Andre's best late-career matches. Big time hard court hitting from both sides of the court for five sets.

Man, I'd like to be watching that right now, not here at the office!

realplayer
07-13-2007, 06:38 AM
To Superman I:

Of course Agassi was able to beat Connors, when Connors was 35 years old and Agassi was in his prime. Of course Lendl did not beat the no. 1 at the age of 35. To even mention this is even stupid. Please think before you write something or you make a complete fool out of yourself.

But when you compare the careers of both men.

Lets face it Connors was much longer no. 1 and dominating in tennis. Besides he was longer in the top ten. Agassi had a mental break down in the middle of his career, that put him out of the top 200. Besides Connors won a record of 109 tournaments ! Incredible.

What if Connors would have played Agassi when they had the same age and where both in his prime ? Agassi would not have stand a chance.

CEvertFan
07-13-2007, 09:39 AM
To Superman I:

Of course Agassi was able to beat Connors, when Connors was 35 years old and Agassi was in his prime. Of course Lendl did not beat the no. 1 at the age of 35. To even mention this is even stupid. Please think before you write something or you make a complete fool out of yourself.

But when you compare the careers of both men.

Lets face it Connors was much longer no. 1 and dominating in tennis. Besides he was longer in the top ten. Agassi had a mental break down in the middle of his career, that put him out of the top 200. Besides Connors won a record of 109 tournaments ! Incredible.

What if Connors would have played Agassi when they had the same age and where both in his prime ? Agassi would not have stand a chance.

Connors turned 37 during the US Open of '89. His birthday just happens to fall during the US Open. Connors turned 39 during his run to the semis in '91.

I also wouldn't say that Agassi was in his prime in '88 or '89 as he was still a teenager, albeit a talented one. I would say Agassi hit his prime much later in his career. Agassi beating a past his prime Connors was pretty much a forgone conclusion, as is usually the case when a younger player plays a MUCH older player. The '89 match was the better match of the two though. Keeping in mind that Connors had just beaten Edberg in the 4th round (in straight sets), I thought he had a chance against Agassi, and he did indeed give Agassi some trouble before losing.

Moose Malloy
07-13-2007, 10:05 AM
The '89 match was the better match of the two though. Keeping in mind that Connors had just beaten Edberg in the 4th round (in straight sets), I thought he had a chance against Agassi, and he did indeed give Agassi some trouble before losing.

People shouldn't forget that Connors was physically struggling that event. Earlier in the event he suffered severe cramps vs Gomez(which had rarely happened to him in his career) And after the first set vs Agassi, he looked to be in really bad shape, calling the trainer, many thought he may retire.

That's what made Agassi's behavior even more classless. Throwing sets against someone you feel you are better than to orchestrate a 5 set win is one thing, but doing it against an injured player is even more disgraceful.

But it almost backfired. Agassi went up 5-2 in the 5th & Connors just started hitting winners from everywhere, getting to 5-4, & having points for 5-5. I think it was loudest crowd I had heard at the US Open at the time(until his run 2 years later)

When Connors got to 5-4, he screamed at the courtside mics, "give this guy a chance to choke!" Agassi almost did.

ktownva
07-13-2007, 12:15 PM
I don’t see this match mentioned yet, but the ATP Championship 1st Round Robin match vs Federer in Houston (2003?) was incredible. Federer’s first ever win against Agassi, and it went the distance with Agassi holding match points. It was fantastic tennis and looking back, a pivotal moment in their head to head as Agassi never beat Fed again.

Safina
07-24-2007, 05:17 PM
google "tennis dvd matches" and you can find a lot of AGASSI matches discussed here....

drakulie
07-24-2007, 05:53 PM
That's what made Agassi's behavior even more classless. Throwing sets against someone you feel you are better than to orchestrate a 5 set win is one thing, but doing it against an injured player is even more disgraceful.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but Connors asked for it. They both were immature. Connors talking smack, and Agassi doing this to rub it in his face. Only difference is the age>>> Connors should know better.

navratilovafan
07-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Connors turned 37 during the US Open of '89. His birthday just happens to fall during the US Open. Connors turned 39 during his run to the semis in '91.

I also wouldn't say that Agassi was in his prime in '88 or '89 as he was still a teenager, albeit a talented one. I would say Agassi hit his prime much later in his career. Agassi beating a past his prime Connors was pretty much a forgone conclusion, as is usually the case when a younger player plays a MUCH older player. The '89 match was the better match of the two though. Keeping in mind that Connors had just beaten Edberg in the 4th round (in straight sets), I thought he had a chance against Agassi, and he did indeed give Agassi some trouble before losing.

I can liken the Connors-Agassi matches, at completely different places in the two players careers in back to back years; as very close to what you saw in the Agassi-Federer matches many years later, again at completely different places in the two players careers here too. In the Connors-Agassi you had an easy 3 set win for Agassi, but then a really hard 5 set win for Agassi. In the Federer-Agassi a 5 set win for Federer, and a 4 set win for Federer, so Agassi did even better making both matches close, to a lesser degree in the latter. The difference would be the Connors-Agassi was an Agassi not truly in his prime, but a Connors much further from his rpime. The Federer-Agassi was a Federer definitely in his prime, and an Agassi past his prime but not as much as Connors was when he played Agassi. All that considered, the advantage Agassi had over Connors, might be about similar to the difference Federer had over Agassi though. Which just goes to show with the two all-time greats it will always be a tough out, at any given point in time.