PDA

View Full Version : Heat/Ice: Tennis Elbow

rbowser
07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
In today's world, there are only a few simple ways to heal and help Tennis Elbow, and some might take a while. While reading several articles and advice from fellow victims of Tennis Elbow, I discovered something that I'm confused on: Heat or Ice?

-Many times I use heat to help relieve pain or to heal a place that is hurting or uncomfortable. For example, my friend used heat to help him recover from his bad knee and it was healed after a month of constant heating and some strength excercise. Although, everytime I go read the articles, the essays, the advice on forums, they all say ice. Yes, ICE does work, but isn't that only to prevent inflammation and swelling? That's right after you use that body part, in this case, your arm with tennis elbow. If you constantly do that while taking a break for your arm, would that heal your tennis elbow? It seems as though it wouldn't..
-Heat makes more sense to me for 'healing' tennis elbow while resting it because Ice again, is only for when you use that arm, it's a short-period treatment unlike heat. I'm not a scientist, doctor or anything, but doesnt heat help circulate your blood flow better? Ice makes the blood slow down right? If you want that area to heal, yes, slow down the blood flow first to reduce swelling, but wouldn't you heat it after for long periods of time so there is increased blood flow? If you don't use that arm, it wouldn't really inflame as if you just played tennis with that arm. If you use heat, wouldn't it promote some healing? Just a few questions because I think heat works better, but everyone else says constant icing.

:idea:

scotus
07-02-2007, 11:47 AM
For me, I get the greatest benefits from icing. I guess we can all agree that right after playing tennis, you should use ice rather than heat. And as far as I am concerned, I will keep using ice as long as I feel pain and notice any kind of swelling.

But heating can be beneficial once the swelling and pain are gone, and I suppose it will help a lot right before you play, since it will warm up and lubricate the joint.

But after 2 bouts with tennis elbow (each time taking 6 months off) and having used deep-tissue massage, accupressure, ultrasound, etc., I have realized that the best treatment for me is the cheapest there is--ice! Before, I didn't give icing much credit, and I didn't really ice myself long enough or often enough to draw much benefit from it. But now I really enjoy icing. I just watch TV for 30 minutes or so while icing my arm. I do it at least once a day even on days I do not play, and this has helped tremendously.

User Name
07-02-2007, 11:57 AM
i think that icing is the best immediately following tennis. It helps prevent lactic acid from being created. Then light heat to get blood flow to the arm.

Court_Jester
07-02-2007, 02:14 PM
i think that icing is the best immediately following tennis. It helps prevent lactic acid from being created.
Yeah but the overproduction of lactic acid has nothing to do with TE, though.

AlpineCadet
07-02-2007, 02:42 PM
In today's world, there are only a few simple ways to heal and help Tennis Elbow,

(6(O.o)9) <- The Boggle Monkey

(He only appears when he's confused.)

rbowser
07-02-2007, 05:08 PM
^^^ Ice, anti-inflammatories, acupressure, acupuncture, massage, but none are guranteed to work. Or do they? :confused: :confused: :confused: