PDA

View Full Version : Serve Troubleshooting

TripleThreatPlayer
03-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Recently my coach advised me to switch my grip while serving. I used to use a eastern grip, but have now switched to continental. I have noticed the % of clearance is much better, but I seem to be having trouble aiming the serve. The continental seems very uncomfortable. Sometimes the ball goes to the wrong side because of the extreme right to left motion.

My coach said I should throw the ball to the right, make the toss extremely high, and move my serve arm straight down (instead of to the left). I still have problems with the ball control part, and the ccontinentalis still extremely uncomfortable.

I plan to go to the courts and serve non stop. Are there any particular tips you could give me on making the continental more comfortable, and aiming to the Ad court, down the line (or just getting it on the right side with pace).

Thanks for the help

polakosaur
03-15-2004, 06:05 PM
sometimes its just getting used to the different feel of the stroke

Hawaii 5.0
03-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Well one thing that is best for any change in the game is to learn adn understand it's mechanics and reasons for the differences.The reason you are having control problems from the right to left movement is becuase you should move to the ball slightly and direction is from racquet path versus a change in the wrist like in the eastern grip serve.You in time will get much more disguiseable serves and consistency as well as more power from weight transfer and the ability to S&V better.

One thing your coach is not telling you is that from his(most likely rear) perspective you should toss more to the right than in front, but for you it should be just left(since you'll be moving into the court) and up becuase you'll be pronating more since you'll be finishing more naturally on your left side usually.Try adjusting your shoulder or start angle in the court(left foot or start with very closed shoulders)

Take a look at Roger Federer for instance(I chose him becuase he's on your signature).Imagine that you are him(exciting) and look at the ball in the exact same way he is hitting it.He's looking to HIS left(your coaches right) and his racquet did go down with a straight(relaxed not consciously straight), but it also came up and behind.If he wants to go to the right side on either court he has adjust his racquet path versus opening his shoulders too soon and doing the change with hsi wrist he's doing it with his whole body.In time you'll be able to do directional changes with less and less body turn and you'll disguise easily with better variety.

bcaz
03-15-2004, 10:10 PM
Good advice, Hawaii. I've been improving directional control on my serve by focusing on the part of the ball I want to hit through. while keeping the toss in the same neighborhood. Slice is an exception -- toss is farther away from the body -- but since I started hitting kickers, I don't try/don't have my slice anymore. Bummer for a lefty. More practice, I guess.

Bungalo Bill
03-16-2004, 08:07 AM
Hard to tell what is actually happening. We can only guess. What I think is for sure happening is your brain got used to altering the racquet face by turning your arm a certain way to meet the ball properly.

This means certain muscles were contracting and other relaxing in order to hit the serve right with your old grip. Now that you have a new grip, the brain is still sending the old signals but senses things arent right. It takes time to develop new brain signals to fire and relax the muscles need to have the correct racquet face angle at impact.

Also, practice your serve against a backwall.

Marc C.
03-17-2004, 09:05 AM
The continental grip is always uncomfortable the first time used, but it is a necesity to get your game to the next level. Rather than toss to the right, toss to say 1 o'clock, therefore you will have a much more powerful serve rather than just extreme spin.