PDA

View Full Version : What's your tension with BB Alu Power?

djones
10-06-2004, 03:06 AM
I have my Head I Radical strung 630 at 60 lbs/27kilos with Big Banger Alu Power.
According to luxilon this is way to high, but to me this feels the best.
What's your tension with this string?

Anonymous
10-06-2004, 08:48 PM
i really wanna know who strings theirs over 68

hungry
10-07-2004, 12:20 AM
50lbs in my HPS 6.0.

IMO if you string over 56lbs with AluPower you need a lower powered racket.

tarheelbornjohn
10-07-2004, 06:53 AM
I string my Prestige with 58 in the mains and 56 in the crosses. I do find that when it is done at lower tensions it feels softer and keeps it's resilancy that it has at start of play longer than it does at higher tensions. In short it goes dead faster the higher tension you use. However, I find that above 55 the power and control aspects are just right for me and my swing and power. During the spring, summer, and fall when I am playing regular tournaments I do my sticks at the higher tensions and cut them out and restring at least one of them before the tournament starts. However, during the Winter, I drop tension down to 55 mains and 53 crosses and play with the same two racquets all winter. These things almost never break on me. They do go dead at the higher tensions. If someone really strings at 68lbs (which I doubt is true and only did that for a laugh), I would think they would go dead after 3 sets. I have tried them at 65 and 63 before and seem fine for one match, but feels like hitting with a board after that.

djones
10-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I string my Prestige with 58 in the mains and 56 in the crosses. I do find that when it is done at lower tensions it feels softer and keeps it's resilancy that it has at start of play longer than it does at higher tensions. In short it goes dead faster the higher tension you use. However, I find that above 55 the power and control aspects are just right for me and my swing and power. During the spring, summer, and fall when I am playing regular tournaments I do my sticks at the higher tensions and cut them out and restring at least one of them before the tournament starts. However, during the Winter, I drop tension down to 55 mains and 53 crosses and play with the same two racquets all winter. These things almost never break on me. They do go dead at the higher tensions. If someone really strings at 68lbs (which I doubt is true and only did that for a laugh), I would think they would go dead after 3 sets. I have tried them at 65 and 63 before and seem fine for one match, but feels like hitting with a board after that.Agassi strings 'm up at 66 lbs, but with his oversized radical, it's not too much is it!

tarheelbornjohn
10-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Well, with Agassi, how many times do you think he plays more than three sets with a particular string job and how many days do the strings stay in a racquet before he cuts them out without playing with them. That is not really practical for most of us. I don't think 66 would be much stiffer feel for us normal players than 58. They are both very stiff string set ups.

When you go up that high (above 56) you are not getting much pocketing of the ball on the string bed, but rather the ball conforming to the strings. I feel that is where the control comes from. Since a "pocket" is formed by string stretch it will be greater for strings that stretch more. However, with lose stretchy strings the pocket that forms may be very different if the ball is struck dead center of sweet spot versus off center shots with these strings. With a very stiff string bed there will be less difference. While this may cause more "shock", if you use a stick that is on the heavier side you would get a more consistent ball response. I would not use Poly on a 10oz stick myself. If you are above 12oz polys works much better.

I also find that the "freshness" of the balls makes more difference with poly, since you are using the compression/rebound of the ball more. When I play in a tourney and we split sets I would never think about going into the third set without asking for a new set of balls. Fresh tennis balls and a fresh poly string job is the best combination.

Emagdnim
10-07-2004, 02:37 PM
52 lbs. in my HPS 6.0, gonna go lower next time, probably to 48ish.

tommytom11
10-07-2004, 09:54 PM
tarheelbornjohn makes some very good points. i use the ALU in my Radical Oversize racquets at 64-65lbs. i agree with him that they go dead much quicker than they break, that using good balls makes a huge difference, and that a heavier frame with someone who generates their own power is a good combo with the higher tensions.

tommytom11
10-07-2004, 09:57 PM
also, Andre never puts more than an hour on his strings even in practice. he changes his strings every day even if the racquets weren't used.

ChrisNC
10-08-2004, 05:47 AM
Yeah, us mere mortals cannot afford to buy 3-4 sets of ALU a day. hehe. I string my i.Radical OS at 58 now.

Gaines Hillix
10-08-2004, 01:31 PM
PK Laver Type S @ 58lbs(M's and X's). Lux O damper. It lasts a long time for me and retains its playing characteristics too.