PDA

View Full Version : Which cardio workout is better for tennis?

AgassiFan12
07-02-2007, 02:23 PM
In all of your experiences (everyone that will read this) which do you find more beneficial for tennis...running or swimming?

The reason I ask is to me swimming seems to have a few more benefits than running. It's not jaring on the body, there is resistance and you get a total body workout and use a lot of shoulder rotation which I think would help stregthen the muscles needed to serve, volley and hit groundstrokes with. Not to mention the cardio in swimming is awesome!

I would just like to hear some opinions since there are so many people with such a broad range of exercise experience on this board.

EricW
07-02-2007, 06:46 PM
In all of your experiences (everyone that will read this) which do you find more beneficial for tennis...running or swimming?

The reason I ask is to me swimming seems to have a few more benefits than running. It's not jaring on the body, there is resistance and you get a total body workout and use a lot of shoulder rotation which I think would help stregthen the muscles needed to serve, volley and hit groundstrokes with. Not to mention the cardio in swimming is awesome!

I would just like to hear some opinions since there are so many people with such a broad range of exercise experience on this board.

My answer is simple: Do both

OrangeOne
07-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Wasn't there just a thread on this? I'm sure there was. Anyways - it's running, no question. Much more relevant from a 'specificity' point of view. Swimming may be nice for some stretching, cross-training, maybe some strength-endurance or similar, but running (in various forms, from endurance to sprinting) is the method of aerobic training most relevant to tennis.

johnny ballgame
07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Jogging vs swimming for tennis fitness, I would say that the answer is age-specific. Swimming might be better for older folks. I'm 33 yrs old and I recently picked up swimming. I swim 1-2 times a week. I like it better than jogging because:

1. There is no impact on joints (which are often sore from tennis)
2. Total body workout, including shoulders, back, chest
3. My body recovers faster post-swimming compared to post-jogging

I also do some light work with weights as well as some sprints/jumps.

For younger folks with fresher legs and joints, jogging might be better. Jogging probably better for keeping weight off, as has been discussed on this forum.

VaBeachTennis
07-04-2007, 04:03 AM

If I had to choose , I would definitely say running. Here are two alternatives to running that I actually utilize:
1) Jumping rope less impact than running and great conditioning and keeps you on your toes and enhances your footwork.
2) Shadow tennis on a tennis court utilizing your footwork as if in a match. Incorporate your strokes with the footwork. split step, cross step cariole etc.

dcottrill
07-04-2007, 08:21 AM
Jumping rope less impact than running and great conditioning and keeps you on your toes and enhances your footwork..

I know this wasn't one of the two original choices, but I also have to vote for jumping rope. I recently read that jumping rope for ten minues at 120 rpm provides the same aerobic benefit as playing two sets of singles tennis. But if you're new to jumping rope, start off slow. It's not as easy as it looks.

dave333
07-04-2007, 09:40 AM
^^^ lol yeah, it is really slow at first. Our tennis team does a lot of jump roping and I started off slow, just double bounce. I can go pretty fast now though.