PDA

View Full Version : Anyone noticed lack of use of string dampeners at Wimby?

AJK1
06-30-2007, 07:25 PM
Seems to me a lot more players are now not using dampeners in their racquets compared to recent times? Comments? Sorry for the typo!

jkonecne
07-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Yeah I wonder why that is? I've noticed as the strings get better the dampeners are getting smaller or non existent. Maybe they're just so good now they don't even need them? That's my guess.

AJK1
07-01-2007, 08:45 PM
The reason i say this is that i've been watching Wimby and most of the matches i've seen at least one of the players has not had a dampener on the strings ala Federer. I wonder why?

Adrupert
07-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Increased ball feel is important much important on the grass, as opposed to other surfaces. Net play can be benefited by the increased feel.

tennis_hand
07-01-2007, 11:45 PM
all learnt something from Fed.

PBODY99
07-02-2007, 05:25 AM
I think it is a sound issue. You don't get that distracting popped a string sound with a hard hit poly or semi poly string job that you get with most multi's and solid core sny gut stringing. Just my 2 bits.

Bobble
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
there's still a fair amount of good guys in the draw using dampeners,i.e. nadal, djokovic, monfils, davydenko, berdych, mathieu, gasquet, tipsarevic, tsonga, hewitt, bagdhatis...but i do suppose they arent really known for their volleys although i don't see hewitt, bagdhatis, gasquet, or many of these guys really blow it at net..

pow
07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
I think it is a sound issue. You don't get that distracting popped a string sound with a hard hit poly or semi poly string job that you get with most multi's and solid core sny gut stringing. Just my 2 bits.

What kind of strings produce the best sound? I still use a dampener at the expense of feel to rid my racquet of the ping sound that the polys produce, it sounds like a tuning fork.

dtd82
07-02-2007, 04:25 PM
funny how times change...used to be that ping sound was a good thing, told you a lot about the tension, quality/type of string, condition of the racket.....and, the more sound off your opponent's racket, the more you know about speed, flight, pace of the shot.......

now, the fact mine pings helps me, not 'cause anyone learns from it, but 'cause it bugs them......

z-money
07-02-2007, 04:27 PM
Real pros dont use dampeners usually. the feel is much better without them. K-State did a study that said they have no effect at all on a tennis racket. but they dont even have a tennis team so what do they know

jkonecne
07-02-2007, 04:34 PM
Real pros??? Yeah non tennis players doing studies on things like that don't mean a thing.

Mad iX
07-02-2007, 04:43 PM
I don't feel or hear much difference on my K90 with or without the dampener, this is with a fresh Excellerator job @ 65 lbs.

rooski
07-02-2007, 06:22 PM
What kind of strings produce the best sound?
The best sound IMO from a string set up is PSGD at 62# in a HPS61. Flat serves sound like a gun shot. N6195 also sounds good with the same strings but not quite as good. Too bad the PSGD only lasts a couple of hours.

tennis_hand
07-02-2007, 08:58 PM
The best sound IMO from a string set up is PSGD at 62# in a HPS61. Flat serves sound like a gun shot. N6195 also sounds good with the same strings but not quite as good. Too bad the PSGD only lasts a couple of hours.

you should say "from my own experience".

saram
07-03-2007, 04:37 AM
Tennis magazine actually had a small article saying that the dampeners actually do not work as claimed and most only changed the sound of the strings at impact--not the actual vibration of the stick. Not sure if it is true or not--but it was in there in the latest issue....the ITF had done their tests on this and explained it...

PackardDell
07-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I have never seen any scientific evidence that a damper works (besides damping sound). As long the evidence is not there I do not use any.

Bobble
07-03-2007, 10:18 AM
so I guess we have established that it is more personal preference than anything, I find it interesting that many of the up and coming players use them, say, nadal, bagdhatis, berdych, gasquet, monfils, querry, del potro, djokovic. interesting because everyone is seeing this lack of dampeners as a newer trend

BluDiamond
07-05-2007, 05:04 AM
with Babolat cortex racekts you don't really need a dampener and therefore the next generation probably won't use them!!!!

Terre Battu
07-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Vibration dampeners change the sound of the strings when a ball is struck. Every player has their preferences, but I've found that with gut strings I prefer to not use a dampener.