PDA

View Full Version : what would be my body fat percentage?

Racquet_Dude_08
07-04-2007, 12:22 PM
im 151 lbs.
5'8ish
have near a medium build
lean but with a little muscle mass
18yrs.old.

does this build sound healthy as well?

Bodacious DVT
07-04-2007, 01:54 PM
try this

http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/body-fat-percentage-calculator.php

richw76
07-04-2007, 02:04 PM
either go to your local health/vitamen place and get a cheap set of skin fold calipers(10$) or buy one of the hand electric resistance units for about 50$ all of these methods will be 3-6% off your real body fat % on a good day. I think the best body fat % is look in the mirror. If you think you are fat you probably are. If you think you are skinny, you probably are. All the gadgets are a waste although they can be fun to see if you can "beat" your last score I guess.

chess9
07-04-2007, 04:15 PM
We couldn't possibly tell from those numbers. You could be 5% bodyfat or 25% bodyfat.

The Tanita BodyFat Scales are a half decent investment. You can get the Ironman model for around $130. Your whole family can use it and make a game out of losing fat and putting on muscle. Your poor parents would probably be in for a big shock once they read the numbers. :)

www.tanita.com

-Robert

LuckyR
07-05-2007, 12:08 PM
im 151 lbs.
5'8ish
have near a medium build
18yrs.old.

Well, your BMI is 23 and normal is: 18.5-24.9

You can't tell a whole lot more over the net.

Janne
07-05-2007, 12:30 PM
When I looked at what my BMI was it said 19 and I´m underweight. Just trying to say that numbers dont mean anything and as someone already pointed out, the best method is to just check yourself in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

PS: chris is the one who said it so: well said Chris, couldnt agree more...

richw76
07-05-2007, 01:25 PM
yeah bmi is garbage for many, unless you are an ectomorph type frame. Tall,little muscle, narrow hips, etc. Genetically I have large legs and a muscular build plus I started playing football/soccer when I was 6.

When I was in highschool and was in season and between 6-10% body fat according to BMI's I was "Overweight". How can you have a six pack and be overweight?

That's why I think all the gadgets are fun toys but a mirror, or a critical sibling is best. I have my sister. She'll let me know when it's time to start my morning runs again, my wife is too nice, my sister doesn't care :-)

chess9
07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
yeah bmi is garbage for many, unless you are an ectomorph type frame. Tall,little muscle, narrow hips, etc. Genetically I have large legs and a muscular build plus I started playing football/soccer when I was 6.

When I was in highschool and was in season and between 6-10% body fat according to BMI's I was "Overweight". How can you have a six pack and be overweight?

That's why I think all the gadgets are fun toys but a mirror, or a critical sibling is best. I have my sister. She'll let me know when it's time to start my morning runs again, my wife is too nice, my sister doesn't care :-)

Bwuahahahaha!!! True...Nothing like an evil sibling. My brothers are my worst critics.

-Robert

Ano
07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
im 151 lbs.
5'8ish
have near a medium build
18yrs.old.

Post a picture of your body (shirtless). And I will give you a rough estimate.

GuyClinch
07-05-2007, 10:20 PM
Yeah if you can see well defined abs your around 5%. Some kind of 'signs" of abs - 10%. If you see striated bands in your muscles (highly unlikely) your at 2%. No definition at all in your abs 15% or higher.

Andres
07-06-2007, 07:13 AM
5% if you can see your abs? That's way off. 5% bodyfat is like the edge of being HEALTHY.

I'd say around 7% and 10%, you can still see your abs. Even 12%

AAAA
07-06-2007, 08:46 AM
I wouldn't be overly concerned with body fat percentages. If you can't see any flab on you then really you only need to be concerned about cardio fitness and muscle mass if they matter to you.

richw76
07-06-2007, 08:48 AM
5% if you can see your abs? That's way off. 5% bodyfat is like the edge of being HEALTHY.

I'd say around 7% and 10%, you can still see your abs. Even 12%

I'm with Andres, unless you are a pro Male bodybuilder, wrestler, or Kenyan Marathon runner you'll never be near 5% bodyfat. In that 7-10% range you have abs, and are probably very fit.

If I remember right under 3% you organs start to lose any cushion, and it's bad for you.

lakis92
08-22-2007, 03:51 AM
Yeah if you can see well defined abs your around 5%. Some kind of 'signs" of abs - 10%. If you see striated bands in your muscles (highly unlikely) your at 2%. No definition at all in your abs 15% or higher.

I'm probably around 12% body fat and you can see my 6pack pretty good even when I'm drinking tons of water every day. What does it mean? I think you are a little bit too much.

Ano
08-22-2007, 04:44 AM
1. Full House = No visible muscle definition. Bodyfat level = over 20%.

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%

4. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%

5. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

6. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

7. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

Ano
08-22-2007, 04:49 AM
6 % body fat looks like this.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/878/img6201df8.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

dave333
08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Yea, I can only see my abs when I flex them. I guess my doctor was right at around 14%.

The spartans in 300 had like what, 5%? Their abs were fricken massive.

Ano
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM
The spartans in 300 had like what, 5%? Their abs were fricken massive.

In my estimation, they had between 5-7 % bodyfat.

OrangeOne
08-22-2007, 05:53 PM

2. Hard = Some muscle separation appears between delts and upper arm. Abs are still not visible. Approx. bodyfat level = 15-19%

3. Cut = More muscle separation appears particularly in the chest and back, outline of the abs begins to appear slightly. Approx. bodyfat level = 12-14%

4. Defined = Muscle separations get deeper in the arms, chest, legs and back, and abs appear when flexed. Approx. bodyfat level = 10-12%

5. Ripped = Abs are clearly visible all the time, vascularity in arms is prominent, chest and back separation is obvious, and face is starting to appear more angular. Condition can be held indefinitely. Approximate bodyfat level = 7-9%

6. Shredded = Striations appear in large muscle groups when they are flexed. Vascularity appears in lower abdomen and in the legs. Condition can be held for several days with careful dieting. Approximate bodyfat level = 5-7%

7. Sliced = Muscles and tendons begin to appear in the face when chewing, striations appear everywhere and vascularity appears everywhere. Bodyfat levels are close to 3% and subcutaneous water levels are near 0. Condition can only be held for a few hours at a time. Not a healthy condition to stay in due to lower water level.

Ano, as always, posts great stuff :). Me, i need to get back to number 5, oh, those were the days :)

xtremerunnerars
08-22-2007, 06:02 PM
Eh, they're not all they're cracked up to be OO. After a while you get sorta tired of having to use a pole to keep them off.

I was looking for that guide a few days ago, thanks for posting it ano.

Ano
08-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Ano, as always, posts great stuff :). Me, i need to get back to number 5, oh, those were the days :)

Thanks, mate.

Btw, where have you been? You haven't posted in this forum for a few weeks..

Racquet_Dude_08
08-26-2007, 08:47 AM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=87150274&albumID=892722&imageID=11685729

Rickson
08-26-2007, 09:39 AM
im 151 lbs.
5'8ish
have near a medium build
18yrs.old.

About 50% bodyfat.

Phil
08-26-2007, 03:10 PM
About 50% bodyfat.

Hah! Rickson, you kill me, man. Where the hell has your sorry *** been?

MTChong
08-26-2007, 03:19 PM
We couldn't possibly tell from those numbers. You could be 5% bodyfat or 25% bodyfat.

The Tanita BodyFat Scales are a half decent investment. You can get the Ironman model for around $130. Your whole family can use it and make a game out of losing fat and putting on muscle. Your poor parents would probably be in for a big shock once they read the numbers. :)

www.tanita.com

-Robert

Do those scales actually work well? I had thought they were rather inaccurate as far as measuring body fat percentages goes.

And according to the first link posted by Bodacious DVT, my body fat percentage is 7.89%. I'm pretty sure that's inaccurate; I know my percentage is low but not that low.

MTChong
08-26-2007, 03:22 PM

Obviously, he's been playing Raul; my best guess is that they were playing a 3-set match with a marathon third set tiebreaker. Of course, though Rickson, in actuality, won every single point, he was hooked over and over resulting in a final tiebreaker score of 314159-314157. Rickson won.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 05:34 PM

Getting massages. BTW, I have an address for you.

WildVolley
08-26-2007, 07:53 PM
Has anyone here done a water displacement test to estimate body fat %?

I remember seeing that done as a kid, but I've never done it myself.

Rickson
08-26-2007, 08:18 PM

You literally get weighed underwater. You check your weight first on land then you get weighed underwater. If you weigh 200 lbs. on land and 180 lbs. underwater, you are a lean 10% bodyfat. The underwater weighing is the most accurate bf test you can take, but be warned, you must let out as much air as possible because holding your breath underwater will make the test more inaccurate.

Craig Sheppard
08-26-2007, 09:12 PM

Hi Ano, can I ask where these estimates are from? Just curious if it's something that's well accepted, or if it's something you came up with. Either way, your 12-14% zone sounds like me, so you made my night! Thanks for posting it. (I understand these are only estimates as far as I can tell) I got a "weighing" in something called a BodPod a few years ago, and rated something like 15-16%, but have done a lot more training since then, so I'd say these sound pretty accurate to me.

Phil
08-27-2007, 04:43 AM
Getting massages. BTW, I have an address for you.
Well give it up, dude. I'll be in the area in a month or so and I need to fill in the calendar;)

Ano
08-29-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Ano, can I ask where these estimates are from? Just curious if it's something that's well accepted, or if it's something you came up with. Either way, your 12-14% zone sounds like me, so you made my night! Thanks for posting it. (I understand these are only estimates as far as I can tell) I got a "weighing" in something called a BodPod a few years ago, and rated something like 15-16%, but have done a lot more training since then, so I'd say these sound pretty accurate to me.

These estimates came from my experiences.

Since 1987, I have measured the bodyfat of more than 500 persons (using skin fold caliper). But I admit, that estimates still have a big margin for error.

The gold standard to measuring body fat are : under water, Bodpod and Dexa machine.

DEXA machine:
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2988/dexamachineik7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks, mate.

Btw, where have you been? You haven't posted in this forum for a few weeks..

Whoops - missed this. Yeah - i was pretty busy, and also just wanted a break. Now, I'm playing lots of tennis, playing well, and hence I'm back in the forums.... :)

Thanks for asking, btw. Have you been well etc?

Ano
08-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Whoops - missed this. Yeah - i was pretty busy, and also just wanted a break. Now, I'm playing lots of tennis, playing well, and hence I'm back in the forums.... :)

Thanks for asking, btw. Have you been well etc?

Man, if we ever play tennis together, you will kick my *** on tennis court.

Yes, I've been well.

I took 3 days off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to move in to my new apartment. Damn, it's not easy to move 1000 books. ;)

OrangeOne
08-29-2007, 06:24 PM
Man, if we ever play tennis together, you will kick my *** on tennis court.

Perhaps, but if we did we'd have to hit the gym afterwards, and we all know who would get the 'win' there :)

Yes, I've been well.

I took 3 days off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday to move in to my new apartment. Damn, it's not easy to move 1000 books. ;)

I hope you lifted with your legs :grin:. But seriously - a new change is always a good thing, I hope you enjoy it!

Ano
08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Perhaps, but if we did we'd have to hit the gym afterwards, and we all know who would get the 'win' there :)

I hope you lifted with your legs :grin:. But seriously - a new change is always a good thing, I hope you enjoy it!

I do enjoy it. Thanks, mate!! I really wish someday we could play tennis and hit the gym together!

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 07:30 PM
hey man im in the same boat, im 17 and im 5'8 i weigh 140 and im wondering what mine would be... im fit, my mile time is 5:25 at best, my bench is 165 and my max squat is 255, anyone help?

Rickson
08-31-2007, 07:39 PM
hey man im in the same boat, im 17 and im 5'8 i weigh 140 and im wondering what mine would be... im fit, my mile time is 5:25 at best, my bench is 165 and my max squat is 255, anyone help?

While the bench and squat numbers are not so impressive, that is a hell of a mile.

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks i just started lifting about 6 months ago... im working on it, thats up from a bench of 95 and a squat of 150, im better at body weight exercises such as dips and pull ups, i usually can do a dip with a 45lb plate around my waist and a bout 30 pullups, but im still working on the power lifts

dave333
08-31-2007, 07:57 PM
Damn, someone is pretty darn fit.

5:25 for a mile. I still cna't break 6:30. I guess thats why I'm gonna join winter track.

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 08:08 PM
thanks man, my friend is a track star... literally, hes a junior in high school and runs a 4:19 mile and a 9:25 2 mile... no lie so i try to train with him, so i kinda have an unfair advantage

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 08:17 PM
thanks man... my friend is a track star, his mile time is 4:19 (best time) and his 2 mile time is 9:29 i think not sure on that one (its not his event) but so i train with him so i get an unfair advantage, im a fat outta shape bum compared to him

topgun78956
08-31-2007, 08:20 PM
mk i posted this 3 times i hope it works now, but anyway... my friend is a track star hes a junior in high school, and runs a 4:19 mile and a 9:29 2 mile, so compared to him ima fat outta shape bum, but i train with him anyway, so i have an unfair advantage

topgun78956
09-01-2007, 06:17 AM
ooo diff page, im smart

jasoncho92
09-07-2007, 08:48 PM
I dont really think im skinny but im 5'10 135 lbs 15 years old. But i can bench 125 so i dunno if i just have really little bone mass or i just have no fat

hoons
09-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Had it done 4 weeks ago, and going in for one next week.

Last i hit 8% --> and trust me im not ripped. Lowest in my course though :grin: