PDA

View Full Version : Damn wrist problems?

defensive4
07-04-2007, 01:21 PM
I have very thin arms and tiny hands width and it feels pretty weak..my arms feel very strong though its just the lower wrist bit at the joint..is there any way i can strenghen it?

Justin
07-07-2007, 11:47 AM
Bump...

I'd like to know as well. I've been having the same problem - pain/soreness in the lower wrist area.

diredesire
07-07-2007, 11:40 PM
I'm pretty scrawny like you describe ;)

I'm interested, too.

Duzza
07-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Yep, count me in too. Have very skinny wrists and joint hurts a lot of the time.

scotus
07-08-2007, 02:13 AM
If anyone knows how to thicken up the wrists, I would be very interested. I am very much into strength training, so I have tried most exercises that are out there. The so-called wrist exercises seem to thicken the forearm (more toward the elbow joint) but have little effect on the wrist joints.

flamekid992000
07-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Unfortunately, small wrist is kind of genetics. Most exercise for the wrist just makes the forearm stronger and doesn't actually help the wrist. There is another option but i highly recommend you stay clear of it.

This was used in martial arts to build up bone strength. Start with a breaking a 1/4 inch of wood with your wrist. Do it 5 times for each wrist. After 2 weeks move up 7 times for each wrist. After 2 weeks of that use 1 inch and 3 for each wrist and keep moving up size and reps. What is happening is that you are breaking the little bones in your wrist and they will go back stronger and bigger. Has more density. Be sure to drink a lot of milk if you plan on doing this.

TREX
07-08-2007, 06:06 PM
A good article in Tennis Magaizine a few months back about them. Will strengthen all the Tennis Muscles.

spadesss
07-09-2007, 03:53 AM
i am in the same boat as you guys.
this is what i do and it works for me.

take the stress balls and squeeze them until my grips gets tired.
then use small free weights, from 1-2 lbs and do them wrist excercise.
i do them while watching tv so i don't get bore. before you know it, a good 1.5 hours have gone by.
my wrist do not get any bigger as i don't do them often enough. (i think its very hard to get wrist bigger, not a whole lot of muscle there).
but i do feel a lot stronger on the court.
since i been doing this, i have no had wrist problems for a few years now.

i don't calculate how long or # of sets i do.
i just do it while watching tv.
for a casual player, i think this is good enough.
doesn't hurt to keep a log for those hardcore players.

also know that this excercise helps....(need rope, weights, and stick)
tie weights to rope, and rope to the middle of the stick. (stick is to be something the size of a bike handle bar)
the objective is to coil and uncoil the rope with both arms straight out in front of body. arms is to be parallel to your shoulders. so you are using your wrist to do the work.
this is tough and you will feel the burn on your entire arm, not just your wrist.

xtremerunnerars
07-09-2007, 07:14 AM
I know I pop up in every wrist thread, but with good reason: I wanted to strengthen my wrist too and looked into doing exercises.

All around the same time, I began landscaping (tough on the arms because of mulch throwing and lifting), doing wrist exercises, and playing more and more tennis. I didn't know it but I tore the lining in my wrist joint and had pain for a really long time. PT misdiagnosed it as tendinitis but a lot of tests discovered the true problem. Fast forward half a year, and I'm out with surgery missing my entire summer of tennis.

Please please PLEASE be careful and take it slow. Give your wrists time to recover because you're still working muscles!