PDA

View Full Version : Diet or exercise?

chess9
07-04-2007, 04:00 PM
http://www.slate.com/id/2169134/

IMHO, diet AND exercise is the best approach. In other words, losing fat requires a substantial change in lifestyle, not simply changed eating habits, or exercise plus cheeseburgers. :)

-Robert

xtremerunnerars
07-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Saw the title and was going to say diet AND exercise as well!

Ano
07-04-2007, 06:06 PM
Robert, I have often asked by my clients :

"Ryano, when fat loss is your goal, many experts say that
nutrition is 80% of the battle. What's your opinion?"

My answer?

You need both.

However, I agree that nutrition is more important than training for fat loss, although it's impossible to put a number on it. I can say this, "Your workouts are NOT responsible for 100% of your results".

So even though I make extra money by providing workout and nutrition advice, I admit nutrition is more important part of any fat loss program (AND for overall health as well).

As the old saying goes, "you can't out-train a bad diet". On the other hand, a poorly-designed program could succeed with perfect nutrition.

Bottom Line: No matter how great your workout is, if you don't have your nutrition in place, you won't get the results you want.

After I tell the client this, I always get the follow up question...

"So why can't I just cut my calories. Why should I waste my time with exercise?"

My reply...

You have to do strength training and high intensity interval training.

You have to boost your metabolism and stimulate your muscles with strength training and HIIT, IF you want the best body you can possibly achieve.