PDA

View Full Version : Sampras could go far at Wimbledon, easy...

War, Safin!
07-05-2007, 04:01 AM
....if aging S&V'er, Jonas Bjorkman can get to the semi finals and quarter-finals playing against today's, ahem, young-power-hitting hotshots...then Pete Sampras can do it, no question.

alkibiades
07-05-2007, 04:27 AM
You make a good point. Bjorkman has zero weapons, unless you could overall solidity of his game as a weapon. On the other hand, he still moves well. If Sampras could get his feet back to 80%, then he could still scare anyone on grass.

Mad iX
07-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the problem for Sampras is fitness.
Especially with the rain delays and the players having to play everyday now, he'd be in a really tough spot.
Bjorkman had a relatively easy draw as well.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
07-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Yeah, the problem for Sampras is fitness.
Especially with the rain delays and the players having to play everyday now, he'd be in a really tough spot.
Bjorkman had a relatively easy draw as well.

Also, Bjorkman is extremely fit for his age.

tricky
07-05-2007, 04:07 PM
I would be surprised if Sampras still moved at the ATP level out there. Lest you forget, those guys move really fast on grass. His groundstrokes and serves should all be at least 80% of what they used to be, though. I'm not sure of his reaction time for volleying though. It takes time to reacclimate to game speed, even Agassi says that.

cukoo
07-05-2007, 04:25 PM
I could be wrong but I just dont see sampras getting past a Nadal or Federer in the semi's or quarter's. The matches playing up to the semi/quarter would take a tremendous toll on Sampras' aging body, along with his medicre speed, he wont be able to beat the number 1 and 2 player in the world.

CyBorg
07-05-2007, 05:12 PM
Sampras wouldn't go far and here's why:

a) He doesn't have the endurance to play a full year and build up a high ranking

b) He would play as a wildcard and thus face a slew of ranked players in the first week

Hence, no.

superman1
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
If he was as fit as Bjorkman, and he got a good draw (far away from Federer and big servers), he could do it.

The Gorilla
07-05-2007, 09:47 PM
he's not playing wimbledon, it's way too risky, his goal is to win all his exo's against Federer and cement his place as GOAT

diggler
07-05-2007, 11:08 PM
If he got fit and played 3 set matches he might be competitive. He would be the only serve volleyer. Is the game too quick now for that?

CyBorg
07-06-2007, 06:14 AM
If he got fit and played 3 set matches he might be competitive. He would be the only serve volleyer. Is the game too quick now for that?

The game is slower now. If he could serve and volley at a prime level he'd dominate of course.

pow
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
except... Pete is lazy. He likes to talk a lot at press conferences but never does anything to back up his words.

tricky
07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
If he was as fit as Bjorkman, and he got a good draw (far away from Federer and big servers), he could do it.

But Pete isn't, probably not even close. Playing 3 times a week and occasionally jogging isn't near enough to maintain the conditioning you'd need for pro level tennis. Pete's said as much -- the longer you're away, the harder it is to turn back the clock.

And as Cyborg mentioned, due to being unseeded, he'd face the best of the best right away.

saram
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
But Pete isn't, probably not even close. Playing 3 times a week and occasionally jogging isn't near enough to maintain the conditioning you'd need for pro level tennis. Pete's said as much -- the longer you're away, the harder it is to turn back the clock.

And as Cyborg mentioned, due to being unseeded, he'd face the best of the best right away.

all very strong points as to why it would not happen...

TheNatural
07-06-2007, 01:35 PM
I think he would have done better than Roddick did v Gasquet. He would have served as well, and volleyed better. And his big forehand and slice approach shots would have been way more effective than what Roddick was doing. Even without much fitness, the power of his forehand alone would have done a lot more damage than anything Roddick was doing on his groundstrokes.

diggler
07-06-2007, 05:31 PM
The game is slower now. If he could serve and volley at a prime level he'd dominate of course.

The court at Wimbledon is slower but the hitting is quicker. I'm not sure how Pete would cope. Even Federer rarely serve volleys. Pete would have to serve really well or he'd get crunched.

LttlElvis
07-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I doubt Sampras could go past the 2nd round in Wimbledon. He might get lucky in the first round and get a win. I remember watching him lose in 2002 in a Davis Cup match on grass against Alex Corretja. Sampras had all the strokes but not the stamina to win. Being a Sampras fan, it was painful to watch. He was in good tennis shape for his age at the time. I can't imagine him doing well right now if his conditioning was the same as it was in 2002.

CyBorg
07-06-2007, 07:04 PM
The court at Wimbledon is slower but the hitting is quicker. I'm not sure how Pete would cope. Even Federer rarely serve volleys. Pete would have to serve really well or he'd get crunched.

The ball is certainly juiced. More than ever before. But Sampras would adjust most definitely.

And if you think Federer is a good volleyer, you haven't seen volleying.

tricky
07-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Fed's BH volley is pretty solid, occasionally wonderful touch. His FH volley, he does swing a bit.

But if we're talking about peak Sampras, you're also talking about an aggressive baseline game too. If the net game wasn't working, he'd shoot from the hip anyway.

stormholloway
07-06-2007, 07:23 PM
And if you think Federer is a good volleyer, you haven't seen volleying.

That's stupid. Federer is a fantastic volleyer. Did you see the overhead backhand volley he carved in the first set against Ferrero? That's routine for him when he's at net. His volleys are great.

Give me a list of better volleyers than Federer on tour today. I bet it's a short one.

wyutani
07-06-2007, 07:33 PM
Sampras wouldn't go far and here's why:

a) He doesn't have the endurance to play a full year and build up a high ranking

b) He would play as a wildcard and thus face a slew of ranked players in the first week

Hence, no.

why worry, he has his serve to back him up!

pow
07-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Federer doesn't blindly rush in to the net, he does it at good times so that he has pressure on his opponent and isn't running right into a passing shot.

CyBorg
07-07-2007, 06:49 AM
That's stupid. Federer is a fantastic volleyer. Did you see the overhead backhand volley he carved in the first set against Ferrero? That's routine for him when he's at net. His volleys are great.

Give me a list of better volleyers than Federer on tour today. I bet it's a short one.

He's a good half-volleyer. He hits some incredible half-volleys. But full volleys - no, sir.

And as for your second point, volleying is virtually dead today. There aren't many volleyers in general and, even so, Federer isn't the best of them. Robert Kendrick, for one, is better.

Now, this doesn't mean that Federer couldn't volley if he put his mind to it. In another era Federer would be a capable volleyer at worst and a great one at best. However he doesn't practice his volley as much today because he knows that he doesn't have to depend on it. As a result his volleying suffers and, hence, it is not very good.

The Gorilla
07-07-2007, 07:17 AM
better volleyers than Fed:
santoro
mirnyi
llodra
henman
lubijic
ancic
karlovic
basically anyone who's name ends with an 'ic
serena williams
venus williams
mauresmo
henin
martina navratilova
gasguet

CyBorg
07-07-2007, 08:14 AM
better volleyers than Fed:
santoro
mirnyi
llodra
henman
lubijic
ancic
karlovic
basically anyone who's name ends with an 'ic
serena williams
venus williams
mauresmo
henin
martina navratilova
gasguet

Yes, the multiple doubles players of course. Many of them are far and away better volleyers than Federer. I don't agree about the ladies (aside from Henin and Martina) - they don't have to hit massive passing shots.

Federer has been especially rusty with his volleying lately. Extremely inefficient and sloppy.