PDA

View Full Version : Best Flavor of Gatorade?

Baseline Basher
10-06-2004, 08:28 PM
I prefer the huge bottles of the orange kind. I drank 2 of those in one day. Wow. Opinions?

Cruzer
10-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Citrico

topspin
10-06-2004, 10:33 PM
If you drink the stuff, it's a good idea to mix it half half with water. Full strength gatorade is not the best for your body when you're playing tennis.

As for flavor, the blue raspberry is pretty good.

thehustler
10-06-2004, 11:14 PM
So I have to ask....why is full strength gatorade not best for your body when playing tennis?

Ace
10-07-2004, 05:18 AM
The new X-Factor Gatorade is the best....Orange mixed with Berry.

Also the regular Fruit Punch.
The Grape was better before they changed the color a couple years ago....they must have changed the flavor too....

chad shaver
10-07-2004, 06:56 AM
So I have to ask....why is full strength gatorade not best for your body when playing tennis?

When I was a coach, I sat through a seminar with an M.D. His explanation, in a nutshell, is that the sodium concentration in Gatorade is too high. Basically, it is too much of a good thing. Apparently, if you're out there sweating like crazy and drink full-strength Gatorade, the sodium will actually draw water FROM your muscles to the stomach, causing cramping and various and sundry forms of upset stomach.

PugArePeopleToo
10-07-2004, 09:15 AM
hmmm...never like the taste of Gatorade, but Powerade is not bad. Are they similar or is Powerade a cheap knockoff from Coke?

James Brown
10-07-2004, 09:43 AM
powerade is the knockoff, but it does taste better. the best flavors are blue and yellow by far. those cause the least amount of reflux when youre out there playing hard.

@wright
10-07-2004, 09:48 AM
I like Vodka flavored Gatorade. The vodka flavor really comes out when you add 2 parts vodka to 1 part gatorade of any flavor.

topspin
10-07-2004, 01:49 PM

Chad Saver replied to this very accurately. I should have mentioned it but I thought it was common knowledge by now.

thehustler
10-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Hmm news to me. I drink straight up gatorade all the time and have never had any problems that were mentioned. I guess I should change my ways before it becomes a problem. Thanks for the info.

Joe Average
10-07-2004, 07:42 PM
Gatorade comes in flavors? I thought they were just colors. Thanks for the info, Chad. But isn't a little sodium good especially when you're sweating profusely? I, for instance, sweat like I'm trying to win a wet t-shirt contest.

Pepsi owns Gatorade. Coke has Powerade. Coke had a chance to buy Gatorade, but passed on it -- one of that company's worst mistakes. They're trying to redeem themselves with Powerade.

chad shaver
10-07-2004, 09:15 PM
Like I said...too much of a good thing. The concentrations are often too high for most people.

mlee2
10-07-2004, 09:32 PM
hustler, you're either really lucky, don't sweat much, or have weak workouts. I've never met anyone who played competitive sports who drank full-on Gatorade, for all the reasons stated above.

For me, any sports drink ending in -ade leaves a nasty aftertaste if I don't water it down.

thehustler
10-07-2004, 11:14 PM
I'd call it luck. I sweat quite a bit early on in a match, but as I get more aggressive and in more control I sweat less later on. I never knew drinking full on gatorade was a problem. I used to drink just water, but that seemed to make me cramp and lose energy faster than gatorade. I guess I should mention each match is different. The harder I work the more I drink. Sometimes I barely get thru a bottle when I'm dominating, other times I may drink a bottle or two. Sometimes for those best of 5's I'll go thru 3 or 4 bottles but never have a problem. I seem to have a ton of luck and I guess it goes with gatorade. If it can be harmful though I will water it down so as I get older I won't screw my body up and not be able to do what I can now down the road.

Bertchel Banks
10-10-2004, 05:54 PM
Berry-Citrus

Water it down eh? Come it think of it, full-on Gatorade is foul tasting during a match, but since I usually have it frozen in the bottle, the must i get is a swish on changeovers. Plain water hurts my stomach when I take it during a match...I must have something sweet.

ChrisNC
10-11-2004, 10:16 AM
Tropical Punch Gatorade is my favorite. I buy it in the big tubs of powder and mix it at about 3/4 strength.

I also buy small cans of the lemon-lime for a change every now and then.

Phil
10-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I prefer the pistachio.

Dedans Penthouse
10-13-2004, 06:58 AM
Best tasting Gator-aide?

Very sweaty Univ. of Florida cheerleaders!! ...... slurp!! YUM!!!

(w/pistachio a close 2nd)

chad shaver
10-13-2004, 07:13 AM
:twisted: :lol:

ShooterMcMarco
10-13-2004, 10:41 AM
fierce grape is the best. one of the only grape flavors that don't taste too much like dimeatap(sp?) even though that medicine tastes damn good for a medicine :)

jayserinos99
10-13-2004, 01:47 PM
orange, lemon lime, fruit punch. because that's what they carry at costco.

and thanks for the tip about watering down the gatorade; i'll definitely have to try that out.

ot btw, gator is also pretty good. has a nice mild flavor to it; kinda like chicken.

Smashlob
10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
blue powerade.

K!ck5w3rvE
10-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Powerade has been around longer than Gatorade. My fave Gatorade flavour is Frost, but I usually get the Lemon Lime powder and mix it up myself because then its easy to change the concentration.

mark rodgers
10-15-2004, 06:28 PM
Has anyone tried Mango? It's G-o-o-o-o-d

WildRice
10-16-2004, 11:38 AM
Watermelon Ice

Steve Huff
10-17-2004, 10:50 PM
The original lime green is the easiest to drink fast. It simply goes down smooth.

jediknightdan
10-18-2004, 07:52 AM
cool blue is
the best

ChrisNC
10-18-2004, 12:00 PM
ot btw, gator is also pretty good. has a nice mild flavor to it; kinda like chicken.
Yes it is. There's a restaurant, in Starkeville Mississippi of all places, that has these great appetizers made with gator and cheese (and some breading) rolled into balls. OMG...they are SO good.

BreakPoint
10-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Perhaps you should start a poll.

With that said, I actually prefer Powerade over Gatorade, especially the Lemon-Lime Powerade.

raven5288
10-24-2004, 09:11 PM
I prefer powerade over gatorade. I think it's just because of the taste.

kreative
06-06-2005, 02:23 PM
riptide rush (grape frost) gatorade is my fave. never liked drinking gatorade/powerade during play, but enjoy drinking it after.

Muse
06-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I like gatorade, I cant stand powerade, it tastes too watered down for my liking. The new X-Factor Gatorade is pretty good, I had Fruit Punch + Berry, probably the best i've ever tasted. I also like that propell fitness water

thejackal
06-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Gatorade Ice Orange

MegacedU
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
I'm a fruit punch kind of girl. But when I need a change I go for the glacier freeze or fierce melon.

ShooterMcMarco
06-06-2005, 04:05 PM
FIERCE grape

scez
06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
Blue powerade and gatorade. I used to like the yellow gatorade the most.

USCfan
06-06-2005, 06:16 PM
I like Vodka flavored Gatorade. The vodka flavor really comes out when you add 2 parts vodka to 1 part gatorade of any flavor.

Do I know you?...

I like Powerade better.

snaze
06-06-2005, 06:49 PM
Gatorade Orange
Can't beat it

MegacedU
06-06-2005, 06:51 PM
I just tried Gatorade X factor Fruit Punch and Berry - good stuff.

equinox
06-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Gatorade will rot your teeth.

wtennis206
06-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Fruit punch and orange are the the best. But, when I was playing in the regional tournament for my school, I was getting bad cramps. Some guy told me to take two bottles to the court, one w/ water and one w/ iced down Pedialite (sp?). Take a swig of each and it keeps you hydrated and cramp free.

MegacedU
06-07-2005, 01:55 PM
Gatorade will rot your teeth.
Smoking will cause cancer, so will sun exposure. Too much sugar will make you diabetic. Now, I dont smoke, nor do I overindulge TOO often - but you can't live worrying about what MIGHT happen later. Live it to the fullest.

Safina
06-07-2005, 03:17 PM
i also think that TOO much Gatorade can be bad.

i have gotten headaches after exercising a lot and then drinking tons of Gatorade. it is best to mix it 50% or like the pros do: take a swig of gatorade and then wash it down with water.

here is some info:

The body replaces only between 35-45% of what it loses during exercise. If we try to replace all the fluids at once, we end up with dilutional hyponatremia (overly diluted blood sodium levels) or water-intoxication. If we attempt to replace all the fuels that we spend, the stomach will back up in total rebellion, and refueling will come to a grinding halt. And, if we try to replace all the electrolytes we lose in equal amounts, a number of hormonal triggers may create all sorts of problems such as gastric stress, edema, or muscle spasm and cramping. If you want to see your effort come to a complete halt, forget to take in electrolytes or take in too many electrolytes from an unbalanced formula and watch it happen!

The solution for proper electrolyte replacement during endurance exercise is to do it gradually and in a way that does not override normal body mechanics. Most athletes perform successfully using from 80-300 mg. sodium per hour in prolonged endurance events. Sodium is necessary but not by itself and not in mega-dose quantities.

Andy Hewitt
06-07-2005, 03:18 PM
The kind without salt, sugar, and color... also known as water.

Prince_of_Tennis
06-07-2005, 04:00 PM
When I was a coach, I sat through a seminar with an M.D. His explanation, in a nutshell, is that the sodium concentration in Gatorade is too high. Basically, it is too much of a good thing. Apparently, if you're out there sweating like crazy and drink full-strength Gatorade, the sodium will actually draw water FROM your muscles to the stomach, causing cramping and various and sundry forms of upset stomach.

This is why I dilute my gatorade...I cramped last time I had a basketball game.

Oh yah Orange is my fav!

benasp
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM
the grape is the best by far

Elizabeth
06-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Gatorade Orange
Can't beat it

yep! it's the best!

Tennis Psycho
06-08-2005, 12:34 PM
None people try Propel? What is your favorite kind of propoel? Mine is PEach and Kiwi-Strawberry!

MegacedU
06-08-2005, 01:00 PM
The body replaces only between 35-45% of what it loses during exercise. If we try to replace all the fluids at once, we end up with dilutional hyponatremia (overly diluted blood sodium levels) or water-intoxication. If we attempt to replace all the fuels that we spend, the stomach will back up in total rebellion, and refueling will come to a grinding halt. And, if we try to replace all the electrolytes we lose in equal amounts, a number of hormonal triggers may create all sorts of problems such as gastric stress, edema, or muscle spasm and cramping. If you want to see your effort come to a complete halt, forget to take in electrolytes or take in too many electrolytes from an unbalanced formula and watch it happen!

The solution for proper electrolyte replacement during endurance exercise is to do it gradually and in a way that does not override normal body mechanics. Most athletes perform successfully using from 80-300 mg. sodium per hour in prolonged endurance events. Sodium is necessary but not by itself and not in mega-dose quantities.

You read the New York Times too?!