PDA

View Full Version : Gut . . . Power & Control?

ejwuf
10-07-2004, 03:43 AM
I've never used gut and would like to hear some comments about power level and control. My sense is that because of its high resiliance, it has tremendous power. Is this true and how would you rate it in terms of control. [I realize that control is a function of stroke mechanics, so ignore this question if it doesn't make sense to you].

borisboris
10-07-2004, 05:43 AM
:) I strung-used NG for the 1st in May of this year. Made a mistake of stringing @ my std lbs 58. The ball took off - the only control I had were volleys. I recently restrung hybrid and the combo is excellent - 16 ga NG Mains 16 ga X's syn gut - both @ 63 lbs though I've read here that I should have changed my X's by a few lbs. Anyway the combo is to my liking. I don't have to generate the power with a massive stroke - but when I'm in a groove - my partner couldn't believe my pace on my go for it winners. The control is there because you don't have to swing hard for I deal placement - spin and the volleying of NG = unsurpassed. Like all new strings - you need to tweak it to your liking but you'll know if it's for you or not within 2 jobs. There is no discomfort with NG!!! :twisted:

Kick Serve
10-07-2004, 06:40 AM
Natural Gut is very powerful. The control with NG comes from the added feel you get for the ball. There are no surprises with NG because you "feel" exactly where the ball is going. Nothing beats gut when it comes to touch shots. Like boris said, you may have to string slightly higher to compensate for the added resiliency. I wouldn't string too much higher because NG holds tension so well, whereas other strings lose tension rather quickly.

If you haven't tried it, then you definitely should. It's worth the extra money just to see what everyone else is talking about. Most people love it, but there are those who hate it and find it too springy for their game. NG hybrids with poly or syn gut seem to be the most popular set up right now. It's a nice balance of the attributes of NG with the added durability and crisp feel of a synthetic.

bigserving
10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Like the others said, gut can have a great deal more power depending on how you string it. The increased control comes from how the strings "pocket" the ball on impact.

Definitely give some a try. NO synthetic plays like natural gut.