PDA

View Full Version : How to nurse a tennis elbow?

drhopz
07-06-2007, 06:52 PM
Lately, i've been icing it and stretching trying to loosen my arm. Some ppl told to me apply heat on it, is that correct? I might want to use some chinese medicine as well.

Court_Jester
07-06-2007, 07:08 PM
Ice your elbow immediately after playing then use heat hours later. I never used Tiger Balm for my elbow back then but I used Salonpas and other heat pads.

tennis_nerd22
07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
well while playing make sure you wear a brace. Band It makes a nice on, i have to wear that one for at least the next few months... just got diagnosed today :(

rommil
07-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Nah you need to ice it. Maybe you can have your MD prescribe you an anti inflammatory medication.

drhopz
07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
So lets just say i wake up one morning, i ice, than heat it. And conintue the routine

rbowser
07-07-2007, 05:41 AM
This is what I'm doing, it seems to be helping:
Wake up, Ice it in the morning after some stretching, the rest of the day would be heating.

acer
07-07-2007, 09:50 AM
Lately, i've been icing it and stretching trying to loosen my arm. Some ppl told to me apply heat on it, is that correct? I might want to use some chinese medicine as well.

drhopz, I have had my share of tennis elbow. From all of the research I have found, there is some conflicting information on ice vs. heat. Some websites say to ice the elbow immediately after playing to take down the swelling. Other websites say that the new thinking is that you shouldn't use ice as the tendons in the elbow already have poor blood circulation so you don't want to ice it. They also say that the tendon doesn't swell and that you want to add heat to get more blood flow and heal it.

Personally, I find that giving an ice massage after playing is the best. What I mean by that is that some people just put ice over the entire elbow and let it sit there. This freezes the whole area and causes the muscles to freeze and contract and this pulls on the tendon further causing more pain. They say that you should just ice the tendon with ice in a massaging motion. Just kind of massage only the tendon with ice. I found out about this on a tennis elbow website.

Hope it helps.

Acer

drhopz
07-07-2007, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys, i'm looking forward getting back on the court.

fujitsu77
07-08-2007, 09:26 PM
just wondering, did you get TE with your Nlade???? ;)

drhopz
07-09-2007, 03:38 PM
No, i got it using Poly. The nblade is really confortable, but the poly really killed my arm. The Nblade is soft on impact, but the poly was just too stiff, i wasnt used to that much vibration and gave alot of negative feedback.