PDA

View Full Version : Revo 4000 X Gamma Progression ST II

Simbah2004
03-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Hello guys, I am buying a stringing machine. I can spend up to $600. I've narrowed it down to two models:
1)Alpha Revo 4000
2)Gamma Progression ST II
I will only string my own racquets. Any comments from owners of these two models would be appreciated. Thanks.

drop shot
03-15-2004, 10:04 PM
I lean more toward the Gamma. I had one and it gave me great service. When I had a question, tech support was easy to come by and the one time I needed parts they were easy to come by. I would also consider the new blue Gamma stringing machines. I am not sure about all the specas but they looked pretty solid from what I could see. I also hear that Alpha's machines are pretty solid as well. It's really a decision where you won't be making a bad choice either way. Good Luck.

hangzhou
03-15-2004, 11:29 PM
If you can add $100, you might consider MS200 ECO with fixed clamp. You will get 4 to 5 sets free strings, at about $50.

Check with other guys who has Laserfibre machines.

bravm3pwr
03-16-2004, 07:37 AM
I looked at both of these machines plus the LaserFibre Eco. Here are my take on them.

Revo4000. Nice machine, great support from Alpha, everything is very solid the only thing that is questionable is the turntable. I believe it is made out of bent steel. I also believe that the clamps are a little better on the Alpha than the Gamma.

Gamma ST II. The turntable on the Gamma is more substantial then the Alpha. If you are going with this machine, make sure you get the newer model with the all-metal clamps. I have called 2 vendors and they gave different answer. ATS is probably your best bet.

I was set on the Revo4000 but it is on back order and would not be available till 1st or mid of April. Gamma is also backorder and will not be available till the 26th of this month.

I went instead with the LaserFibre TT because I can get it sooner. The cost maybe more but after talking to LaserFibre-Tim Sullivan, I came to the conclusion that the TT was a better machine than both the Revo and the Gamma. They do not skimp on the turntable or the clamps. Talk to Tim, very nice guys. Will never push you one way or another, just gives you the facts. He actually said both the machines, Gamma and Revo are very good machine just like what is posted here on the forum.

Simbah2004
03-16-2004, 12:12 PM
Thanks guys. I have also considered buying a Laserfibre Eco with fixed clamps, but I still think they are way too expensive - recently their machines had a price increase.
My stringer (who is already laughing at how many times I have to stop by) advised me to buy a crank machine instead of a drop weight - he tells me that the string jobs are faster and more accurate.

Gaines Hillix
03-16-2004, 04:20 PM
I had an Alpha Axis Pro, which is essentially a REVO 4000 with a stand. It was a very sturdy machine. The turntable was stamped steel, but it was thick and very sturdy. There's no way you are going to bend that turntable tensioning a racquet. I've gotten first rate service from Mark Gonzalez, the Sales Manager at Alpha. I've since upgraded to the Apex turntable and frame support with a Wise tension head.

T.J. Planas
03-17-2004, 09:58 PM
I agree with Gaines about the Alpha turn table. My machine has the same turn table as the Revo 4000 and there's just no way I can see any body bending the thing while stringing a racquet. I looked at Laserfiber and Gamma when I bought my current machine, an Alpha Power Edge. All three brands offere great machines within my price range, but I felt the Alpha and LF had better clamps than the Gamma, but I think Gamma has since updated their clamps. I went with Alpha because I had bought my last machine from them and had great customer service and support and my previous machine, a $300 Alpha drop weight, had lasted me for 7 years and about 3000 string jobs before I voluntarily retired it and decided to upgrade. The bottom line is that all three companies make great machines and you really can't go wrong with any of the three you mentioned. Good luck.

prince
03-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks guys. I have also considered buying a Laserfibre Eco with fixed clamps, but I still think they are way too expensive - recently their machines had a price increase.
My stringer (who is already laughing at how many times I have to stop by) advised me to buy a crank machine instead of a drop weight - he tells me that the string jobs are faster and more accurate.

all 3 machines would give you really good string job - it is just the skills that would matter i think.

the MS ECo is not your typical drop weight machine - so i think it is in the same league as the gamma and ATS you mentioned.

blackburne
04-06-2004, 03:25 PM
The table on the Revo 4000 is now the same table as the Blu-DC Plus from what I hear and also the clamps are "spring-action".