PDA

View Full Version : huge problem that cost me the game

J.W. North Tennis91
07-07-2007, 03:26 PM
today i played in a satellite tournament against an opponent who was about the same level as me. i was playing really good and normal. i won the first set 6-4 but after the first i collapsed. i couldnt focus at the ball at all and my eyesight was extremely bad which led to me making bad calls. it felt like my head was somewhere else. not only that but i was sooooo tired so fast and that is not something that happens to me because im fit. now im home and im still not feeling good, my head kind of hurts and i feel like throwing up. my question is what could be the problem? is it because i didnt eat anything, not even breakfast, before i went to the game?? or is it that i tried too hard and wasted all my energy in the first set?

P.S. ive played longer games than this one so i was surprised when it happened to me.

dave333
07-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Was it a hot day? Could be the heat.

Verilious
07-07-2007, 05:24 PM
Probably have fever or just low blood sugar. =O Could be lots of things.

*Pulls out portable Ano* *Pokes it* C'mon! Work!

AlpineCadet
07-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Not sure if this will help any, but I think it's all mental. Train harder, and have a re-match. Best wishes! :)

BreakPoint
07-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Could be either low blood sugar since you hadn't eaten anything all day before the match or if it was a hot, sunny day, it could have been heat stroke.

I usually eat quite a bit before my matches because I don't want to run out of energy during the match, and if the sun is out, I always wear a hat. Of course, if it's really hot, not even a hat will help.

PeakXV
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Sounds like you were a little dehydrated ...... remember you have to hydrate 24-48 hours before your matches - especially if its really hot/humid.

Try Keeping a black book on your nutrition & hydration intake/habits along with the current heat/humidity, hours on court, pain symptoms(if any), etc. .... then try and fine tune your bodies calorie & fluid requirements to find what fuel works best for your level of play energy, calories exerted & sweating factor.

J.W. North Tennis91
07-07-2007, 09:54 PM
ok guys ive learned my lesson and my best bet would be my blood sugar was low because i ate some nutella and i felt a little better. for tomorrows game im going to eat a cereal and a banana to gain energy.

Bottle Rocket
07-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I would not eat cereal with milk before you play tennis...

Milk and physical activity do not mix so well. The banana is a great choice. Got any bagels around?

J.W. North Tennis91
07-08-2007, 12:57 PM
ok than what should i eat before for breakfast before a big game??

J.W. North Tennis91
07-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Not sure if this will help any, but I think it's all mental. Train harder, and have a re-match. Best wishes! :)

no it was not mental when the game started i was very confident and won the first set but after that i didnt do well. i cant have a re match lol its a tournament....

NoBadMojo
07-08-2007, 03:29 PM
The fact that you lost your focus and your vision became impaired likely indicates you were out of fuel..mostly water.

Keep slugging down fluids before playing even if you dont feel thirsty..it's hot in most of the country. eat watermelon...coconut water (not juice) is a great rehydrator..Gookenaid or Cytomax are better than the Gatorade/Powerade type drinks. Avoid sugars before playing..it could cause you to quickly bonk

A bagel and a banana are great choices as a game day breakfast

EricW
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
ok than what should i eat before for breakfast before a big game??

Oatmeal (made with water not milk), and i like to top it with bananas, raisins, and flax seed+ a glass of water/orange juice

Drink water every changeover(even if you don't feel thirsty, but not too much)

chess9
07-08-2007, 04:37 PM
Of course it's not eating!

Good grief, can there be any doubt? If you don't recognize the signs of low blood sugar and of some really poor thinking on your part then you need to take up shuffleboard.

Eat at least 500 calories 1-4 hours before your match. I prefer to eat about 1 hour before some hard tennis, but we are all different.

During the match, you need to be taking in calories. Simple sugars are fine, but I like to take in liquid nourishment with electrolytes.

AFTER you play, re-hydrate and EAT a big meal. Get plenty of protein after you play. At least 20 grams of clean protein for most people. I usually take in about 50 grams of protein, but I'm 175 lbs.

If you have any doubt about the wisdom of eating properly, hydrating properly, and supplementing properly, there are at least 10,000 web sites dedicated to those issues. www.e-caps.com or any of the large number of running, triathlon, body building, etc. sites. I also like Will Brink's advice. www.bodybuildingrevealed.com

Good luck, mate!

-Robert

fuzz nation
07-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Yikes, that's a serious bonk you took!

Yeah, do your research, figure out good ideas for breakfast, and one more thing that helps me is to keep granola bars in the bag for when I'm feeling a little bit empty. Hydration means staying ahead of your sweat rate, but I like to drink a little Gatorade before I go out to slug and drink just water on my changeovers, etc.

We had a guy in my doubles group run out of gas mid match a couple of weeks back and for a minute there I thought we were going to need an ambulance. He skipped breakfast, too. Although I like coffee, I try to really limit how much I have in the morning if I eat and then head right to the courts. Too much of it seems to make me a bit more prone to bottoming out and I don't put much sugar in my coffee at all. Good luck down the road!

AlpineCadet
07-09-2007, 11:51 AM
no it was not mental when the game started i was very confident and won the first set but after that i didnt do well. i cant have a re match lol its a tournament....

I see, lol. I say that because of personal experience. Well in my case, a while back, I had my first ladder match and was up 4-2. My opponent took advantage of the fact that I was not familiar with the USTA rules, so instead of taking a max of 90 seconds to rest, he took 5+ mins. I just sat there patiently waiting for him to get up so WE COULD PLAY TENNIS, NOT SIT AND DO NOTHING. I was pretty annoyed at first because I have never in my life experienced such a thing as sitting around for a LONG while, while a match is still live. I soon became frustrated, then I became upset. I wasn't able to break his serve soon after because I was mentally frustrated with him, and soon I was frustrated with my errors. One thing built on another, and ultimately my game took a dive. At first I didn't understand what had gone wrong with my game and why I was so frustrated, until after I lost that match. He won when I retired at 7-5, because I was too frustrated to go on. Someone had later told me that my opponent had tried to slow down my momentum (and succeeded.) Mental toughness is very important during a match, whether we'd like to acknowledge that or not.

strcmp
07-09-2007, 07:42 PM
today i played in a satellite tournament against an opponent who was about the same level as me. i was playing really good and normal. i won the first set 6-4 but after the first i collapsed. i couldnt focus at the ball at all and my eyesight was extremely bad which led to me making bad calls. it felt like my head was somewhere else. not only that but i was sooooo tired so fast and that is not something that happens to me because im fit. now im home and im still not feeling good, my head kind of hurts and i feel like throwing up. my question is what could be the problem? is it because i didnt eat anything, not even breakfast, before i went to the game?? or is it that i tried too hard and wasted all my energy in the first set?

P.S. ive played longer games than this one so i was surprised when it happened to me.

Maybe your opponent poisoned your drink..
See http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-8-2003-45156.asp

cshokraii
07-14-2007, 05:17 AM
You need to get in better shape, try running on sand or doing 4-5 sets of suicides, this should help you get stronger and better in the 2nd and 3rd sets

Punisha
07-14-2007, 05:57 AM
Maybe your opponent poisoned your drink..
See http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/9-8-2003-45156.asp

this is what i was thinking... sounds like poison to me...

Max Winther
07-18-2007, 08:05 PM
this happened to me during a sweltering day of team practice. I had came straight from my friends house where i had crashed the night before. I seemed fine for the first hour of it, but then i got really lightheaded and my mouth started secreting really salty saliva, and i was struggling to stay upright. i finally passed out and sat out the whole rest of practice... didnt do too much for my ego. but i was severely dehydrated; i hadnt downed a big glass of water in probably 10 hours, just little sips here and there. You've gotta make sure that you properly hydrate yourself no matter if you gonna go play tennis or work out soon or whatever. I just always drink a ton of water, and it hasn't happened to me since, even in 115 degree weather in a tough 5 setter.

jinsol
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Got any bagels around?

yeah ive got plenty of bagels :D sry couldnt resist

Ronaldo
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
ok guys ive learned my lesson and my best bet would be my blood sugar was low because i ate some nutella and i felt a little better. for tomorrows game im going to eat a cereal and a banana to gain energy.

Try oatmeal, All-bran, or preferably Grape-nuts cereal, with soy or goat's milk. Keep orange juice and a powerbar in your bag for a crisis. Luv a banana w/Nutella, prefer striped/duo hazelnut spread.

Ronaldo
07-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Oatmeal (made with water not milk), and i like to top it with bananas, raisins, and flax seed+ a glass of water/orange juice

Drink water every changeover(even if you don't feel thirsty, but not too much)

Eric, read my mind