PDA

View Full Version : How many Grand Slams will Gasquet win ??

david22
07-08-2007, 03:00 AM
i'm a great fan of this player and i'm more and more convinced that he'll win a GS in the future.
How many?? i would say 2 (1 Wimbledon and 1 AO) at most.
Actually i would already be happy if he won "only" one Grand Slam.
it would be a shame in my opinion if such a talented player ended up with no Slams in his bag.

93sq.
07-08-2007, 03:06 AM
Probably...if he will win one slam....he will win AO

Jasyn19
07-08-2007, 10:34 AM
In spite of his Wimbledon semi yesterday against Federer, he's never got beyond the fourth round in any of the slams, and no better than the third round in the French - which is surprising considering his upbringing on clay. Pity, cos he's such a hell of a nice guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think he's got a grand slam in him. Mental edge and all that sort of thing.

West Coast Ace
07-08-2007, 10:50 AM
Probably...if he will win one slam....he will win AOI agree that's the most likely one - but not very likely given the age of Rafa, who should start reeling off Slams after Roger gets to about 18 and goes away...

Mental edge and all that sort of thing.That's obviously what he needs to work on.

He needs to start getting to the quarter and semis regularly first.

tennisnj
07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
Maybe 1 to go along with his French Open Mixed Doubles title lol. So 2 total.

Vlad
07-08-2007, 01:37 PM
He can play and win on any surface. He still needs to keep improving his physical conditioning, get more experience by reaching later rounds of GS and learn how to deal with pressure at RG.

He plays his best tennis on natural surfaces, such as grass and clay, but since he is not ready (he said it himself) to win RG, then maybe Wimbledon is his best chance. On hardcourt, I get the sense that he needs to play more aggressive.

BigServer1
07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Gasquet has the talent to win a bunch. Whether or not he will win any is a different story. I love his game and he seems like a really nice guy, so I'd like to see him win a few.

laurie
07-08-2007, 01:47 PM
If we go back to June 2003 people were asking the exact same questions about Federer.
If you have the sort of natural talent that Gasquet has, then if he wins his first slam by the age of 22 I reckon he can go on to win as much as 10. Someone with that kind of talent will be hard to stop if he puts it all together in the next two years.

tim8
07-08-2007, 01:50 PM
In spite of his Wimbledon semi yesterday against Federer, he's never got beyond the fourth round in any of the slams, and no better than the third round in the French - which is surprising considering his upbringing on clay. Pity, cos he's such a hell of a nice guy. I hope I'm wrong, but I really don't think he's got a grand slam in him. Mental edge and all that sort of thing.

? Well he is only 21 and has the type of game that matures late (like Federer's). Maybe he is just breaking out. Plus Federer was brought up on clay. Are you suggesting that is his best surface?

saram
07-08-2007, 01:53 PM
i say one....

pow
07-08-2007, 01:56 PM
He's a great player but I don't see him getting past the other young players. As of now, it seems Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray put it together better.

Vision84
07-08-2007, 02:13 PM
He is a young and very talented player. His match against Roddick showed that he has the goods. At such a young age there is a lot of room for improvement and I like him a lot so I hope he does win some slams. I'm sure he is capable of it.

Ripper
07-08-2007, 02:16 PM
I'll be surprised if he doesn't win one, at least. Seriously, that's all I can say, right now.

PS: But I'll vote "more than 3", just for the heck of it.

Grandslam05
07-08-2007, 02:24 PM
I think he'll be the next Wimbledon champ thats not named Federer. I think he can win at least 2 or more Wimbledons. Add a US Open or perhaps an Australian in there and I say more than 3.

angelsdemons8600
07-08-2007, 02:31 PM
He looks like a 3 to me...He has so much potiential and I just think the draws are what is hindering him. He needs to play consistantly in more tournaments to get better draws. With better draws and a better ranking, he can do this thing!

TheNatural
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
2. ill check if im right in a few years time

TacoBellBorderBowl1946
07-08-2007, 03:27 PM
he'll win zero.

david22
07-08-2007, 04:44 PM
He's a great player but I don't see him getting past the other young players. As of now, it seems Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray put it together better.

Are you serious about this one??
Has Murray won 4 titles,made 2 MS finals and a Grand Slam 1/2 final yet???

J-man
07-08-2007, 05:09 PM
I think he will be like James Blake. He will make great strides at Grand Slams but he will not be able to win one. But nevertheless he is a very talented player

david22
07-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I think he will be like James Blake. He will make great strides at Grand Slams but he will not be able to win one. But nevertheless he is a very talented player

i truly think that Gasquet will have a far better career than Blake.
For a beginning,Blake was nowhere near as good as Gasquet when he was 21
at 21,Gasquet has already won 4 titles,made a GS 1/2 final and 2 MS finals(both lost against Federer),not to mention he has beaten Federer at 18.

BkK_b0y14
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
i really think he is a late bloomer. so i think he will have at least 5 (mostly wimbly's, maybe 1 AO, and 1 FO). and you can't compare him to murray because head to head gasquet rapes him.

Feņa14
07-08-2007, 06:31 PM
I really like Gasquet but I think Murray and Djokovic, along with one or two of the others will become really tough to beat and Gasquet's incosistency in performing at the standard we know he can produce will consistently let him down in my opinion.

I'd like to be proven wrong though, he's beautiful to watch and a nice lad.

Grandslam05
07-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Federer also had the same problem of inconsistency at a young age. Gasquet is much more talented and complete than the other young players save Nadal. Murray is a good player but I don't see him winning any slams. The next generation of Grand Slam winners after Federer will be Nadal (still), Gasquet and Djokovic. Gasquet has the ability to be as dominant as Federer. He's just got to put it all together.

quest01
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
I think possibly 1 or 2 if he plays until hes in his mid 30s.

callitout
07-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Needs to seriously improve his serve to win a GS on any surface other than clay...and with Nadal in the mix a clay GS is gonna be tough.
Obviously he has all kinds of potential, and he's great fun to watch.

JW10S
07-08-2007, 08:34 PM
zip, nil, nada, zilch, zero, none...

robin7
07-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Probably 1 in the absence of the top 3 players (Fed, Nad & Djoko).

Pete Semper
07-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I say Gasquet will win 1 GS...probably Wimbly. But Im pretty worried about his carreer because he reminds me a lot Henri Leconte...

AndyRLacoste
07-09-2007, 09:33 AM
None, Rafael, Djokovic, Murray... too much competition.

Plus, by the time Roger, Andy, James Blake, and Rafa stop winning there will be more young prospects to challenge Gasquet.

fps
07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
I think Djoko and Murray (if he stays fit) will both win a grand slam before Gasquet, Djoko because he has the all around game, dour grinding ability and athleticism, Murray because he's got a surprisingly big serve, great range of shots and thinks well on court

david22
07-09-2007, 10:30 AM
I say Gasquet will win 1 GS...probably Wimbly. But Im pretty worried about his carreer because he reminds me a lot Henri Leconte...

he is way better than Henri Leconte in my opinion.
Has Leconte for instance beaten the number 1(and probably the best ever one) at 18??

david22
07-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Needs to seriously improve his serve to win a GS on any surface other than clay...and with Nadal in the mix a clay GS is gonna be tough.
Obviously he has all kinds of potential, and he's great fun to watch.

Don t forget he served 23 aces against Roddick (a one being at 134 mph).
i would say he has improved his serve......now he needs to work on his forehand,especially when he moves back.

AJK1
07-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Nil. Along with him and a few other hyped players that just aren't good enough while Feds and Nadal are around.

anointedone
07-09-2007, 08:02 PM
He can win around 3 I think. He is talented, but even if he has 6 good years left after this one, it will be hard to win more then 1 slam every 2 years with Federer and Nadal each with several great years left probably, and Murray and Djokovic coming up with him. Actually if he wins 3 with that competition he will have done great, but I think he can do it. He is very talented and will be up with the rest contending for slams. He might win his 3 at different venues each maybe.

anointedone
07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
If we go back to June 2003 people were asking the exact same questions about Federer.
If you have the sort of natural talent that Gasquet has, then if he wins his first slam by the age of 22 I reckon he can go on to win as much as 10. Someone with that kind of talent will be hard to stop if he puts it all together in the next two years.

10 is way over the top. Gasquet is very talented but he is not the next Federer. Also remember when Federer started winning slams the most established forces at the top were older Agassi, Hewitt, and Roddick. Gasquet is coming up at a time when Federer and Nadal are already at the top and so dominant, and Nadal was born within a month of him. Much harder situation he is coming into then Federer. No way he would win anywhere near 10 slams.

anointedone
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
i truly think that Gasquet will have a far better career than Blake.
For a beginning,Blake was nowhere near as good as Gasquet when he was 21
at 21,Gasquet has already won 4 titles,made a GS 1/2 final and 2 MS finals(both lost against Federer),not to mention he has beaten Federer at 18.

Yeah Gasquet has way more talent then Blake. Blake has already peaked, and it wasnt even that amazing a peak. 2 U.S Open quarters, some dinky tournament titles, and 2 smackdowns in big Masters event finals to Federer.

jkonecne
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
I think he could eventually win one. It's a possibility, if he works hard at it. Although not right now. He's young so hes got time.

david22
07-10-2007, 12:00 AM
10 is way over the top. Gasquet is very talented but he is not the next Federer. Also remember when Federer started winning slams the most established forces at the top were older Agassi, Hewitt, and Roddick. Gasquet is coming up at a time when Federer and Nadal are already at the top and so dominant, and Nadal was born within a month of him. Much harder situation he is coming into then Federer. No way he would win anywhere near 10 slams.

Gasquet will be better than Nadal on fast surfaces,mark my words.......on clay,that's a different story obviously.
anyway i agree with you about the rest: he probably won t win anywhere near 10 slams.
we must remember that a player like Federer comes only once in a lifetime

Zets147
07-10-2007, 12:03 AM
I think he's gonna win 1 FO, 2 Wimbledon, & 1 US Open by the time he's done.

edmondsm
07-10-2007, 01:10 AM
Outside Fed and Roddick, he has been one of the most if not the most consistant grass courters over the last two years. He could win a Wimbledon in his career. If he gets some confidence going who knows. I think he'll win at least one slam.